Sony MDR-7520
Dec 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #437 of 2,535
  Do any of you guys experience any kind of increased hiss or electronic noise when using the 7520 on any dac/amp - compared to other headphones you may have tried with the same dac/amp?

I'll compare with my IEM tonight.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #438 of 2,535
  Do any of you guys experience any kind of increased hiss or electronic noise when using the 7520 on any dac/amp - compared to other headphones you may have tried with the same dac/amp?

With my trusty old MDR-V6 (over 20 years old), I can hear a weird swirling sound out of my iMac. It's constantly there, and very noticeable when the music is low. This noise does not come through other cans I've used for portable / computer listening -- Klipsch S4, PortaPro, and JVC HA-RX700.

I can hear the same noise with the 7520, although not as loud and clear as the V6.

My iMac is the only thing that does this, though. 7520 is noise-free with my phone (HTC EVO 4G), CD Player (Sony XA3ES), and a friend's Benchmark DAC1.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #441 of 2,535
I like the 7520 better than a bunch I reviewed recently.

http://digitalaudiodirections.blogspot.com/

And there is quite a bit of 7520 mentioned in this thread of portable type cans.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-b-w-p7-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-executive-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

That should keep you busy.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #442 of 2,535
Just gotem. Thank you santa, very light but sturdy very cozy the crank real good nice and stif not as high strong as t1s closed nature helps with that feeling, nice wetnesss not as much as m50s larger driver is noticeable compared to the p5s p7s are probably more comparable' resolution is amazing doesn't pop out near as much as t1s. But is comparable especially at loud volume, lcp is golden colour kind off how they sound, the weight of the t1s cups help ground the drivers a bit more like a magico speaker, these however can be played loud with out an amp though, that's the t5 territory I don't own the t5s from beyer and I would pay 1200 for the sonys, as with all headphones how loud you play them matters a lot with relative balance, when the z1000 came out I was dying to get them finally got these and I think they are sonys new flagships. A fully openback version would also be awesome.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #443 of 2,535
All right, Shure 940 velour pads are on.
Had to bump up the volume to compensate for the driver to ear distance increase or they sounded more distant and muffled.
The final result:
- As far as timbre goes, can't really tell if there is any difference at all. Wish I had a second pair with stock pads to do quick A/B.
- Soundstage grew. Wow, that's a very welcome change.
- They are more comfortable for sure, guess multi hour listening marathon with those on should not be a problem at all, even in hot condition.
- Fit is slightly loose, not as tight as stock but fine otherwise.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #444 of 2,535
Well, actually, I guess they lose some bite and definition esp in the bass after all. Hmm, back to stock for now. 
confused.gif

EDIT: Should stop posting, really.
biggrin.gif

Switching back and forth between two and can't really tell if there is appreciable difference at all besides increased soundstage with velour pads. There could be a pinch more bite in bass with stock pads, but could be just psychoacoustical effect as well as velour is fuzzier and softer than pleather.

EDIT2: Yep, they do make 7520 sound loose and "boomy". Not the best match, me think.
If anyone interested in brand new Shure 940 velour pads, PM me. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #445 of 2,535
With my trusty old MDR-V6 (over 20 years old), I can hear a weird swirling sound out of my iMac. It's constantly there, and very noticeable when the music is low. This noise does not come through other cans I've used for portable / computer listening -- Klipsch S4, PortaPro, and JVC HA-RX700.

I can hear the same noise with the 7520, although not as loud and clear as the V6.

My iMac is the only thing that does this, though. 7520 is noise-free with my phone (HTC EVO 4G), CD Player (Sony XA3ES), and a friend's Benchmark DAC1.

Between MDR-V6 and MDR-7520, which one has more detail and micro detail, bigger sound stage & 3D imaging, better separation and punchy and tight bass?

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #446 of 2,535
  Well, actually, I guess they lose some bite and definition esp in the bass after all. Hmm, back to stock for now. 
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Switching back and forth between two and can't really tell if there is appreciable difference at all besides increased soundstage with velour pads. There could be a pinch more bite in bass with stock pads, but could be just psychoacoustical effect as well as velour is fuzzier and softer than pleather.

EDIT2: Yep, they do make 7520 sound loose and "boomy". Not the best match, me think.

Thanks for your impressions. Sounds like the 940 and 1840 pads are the same, although I personally don't notice any boominess with the 1840 pads (they're actually on the bass-light side).

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #448 of 2,535

confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks for your impressions. Sounds like the 940 and 1840 pads are the same, although I personally don't notice any boominess with the 1840 pads (they're actually on the bass-light side).

By boomy I meant not the amount the bass, which sounds to be the same after adjusting the volume as overall it drops, but quality of it, as it becomes fuzzier and "cavernous", somewhat resembling the sound of cheap boom box. LOL. Sorry, there are so many to describe the sound, sometimes (most of the times 
tongue.gif
) it's hard to get what exactly someone means. In any case, there are on their way back to store. Lousy match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back