Sony mdr 7520 vs sennheiser 600 hd
May 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DazedNconfused

New Head-Fier
hi these two models are both priced at 399 on various audio store sites and both claim to be reference quality headphones, I work from a studio , but do some light mixing and producing at home during the night when loud speakers are not ideal. There is a lot of info out there about the senn 600's and not so much about the mdr 7520's but the reason I am in such a predicament is because I already have the dt 880's 250 ohm and I was told that the 600's were pretty similar to that plus I have never really used a closed back phone while producing , and sound on sound holds both of these phones in high regard. If I can audition them both that would be awesome but unfortunately I live in a town where I am only able to go off of word of mouth and have it mailed to me. Any and all advice will be welcomed , thank you once again.

May 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 13
If you're trying to keep things quiet at night, the 7520 are the better bet since they are closed back. The HD600 leak more than the DT880. Look up reviews on the Sony ZX1000 which are essentially the 7520 but with different accessories (or the ZX700, which is a fraction of the price, aka the 7510). 

May 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
If you're trying to keep things quiet at night, the 7520 are the better bet since they are closed back. The HD600 leak more than the DT880. Look up reviews on the Sony ZX1000 which are essentially the 7520 but with different accessories (or the ZX700, which is a fraction of the price, aka the 7510). 

Nope:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644542/sony-mdr-z1000-and-sony-mdr-7520-essentially-identical#post_9462120

They're quite different sounding. This directly from Jude and also Nao, the lead engineer of both headphones at Sony.

May 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
hi these two models are both priced at 399 on various audio store sites and both claim to be reference quality headphones, I work from a studio , but do some light mixing and producing at home during the night when loud speakers are not ideal. There is a lot of info out there about the senn 600's and not so much about the mdr 7520's but the reason I am in such a predicament is because I already have the dt 880's 250 ohm and I was told that the 600's were pretty similar to that plus I have never really used a closed back phone while producing , and sound on sound holds both of these phones in high regard. If I can audition them both that would be awesome but unfortunately I live in a town where I am only able to go off of word of mouth and have it mailed to me. Any and all advice will be welcomed , thank you once again.

Edit: I would go for the 7520 for mixing. It's definitely a studio monitor/reference type of sound. You hear everything in the mix. I literally mean EVERYTHING. LOL. It's also very well balanced. HD600 is nice too, and probably the benchmark for neutrality and as a reference,  but it's a bit old. I think I would prefer the HD600 for general listening to music/relaxing, but I would mix with the 7520. Not that I no jack schiit about mixing. Just my feeling on it.

May 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 13
thanks for the replies thus far guys looks I might be leaning toward the mdr but the 600's are still on my mind because of how well they have been reviewed on the net, but then again apparently they are pretty close to my dt 880's how is the sound stage on the 7520's ?

May 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
thanks for the replies thus far guys looks I might be leaning toward the mdr but the 600's are still on my mind because of how well they have been reviewed on the net, but then again apparently they are pretty close to my dt 880's how is the sound stage on the 7520's ?

sound stage is not very wide, although imaging and instrument seperation is pretty good. It's a very flat pancake type of soundstage that's pretty much very near your head. (almost in your head, but not quite). I don't really care for super wide stages, but if you do I would stay away from the 7520.

May 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 13
If you're doing a lot of mixing at home, I'd recommend some speaker/room emulation as well. 

May 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
yeah i have thought about that, and i do from time to time, but my neighbours complain of even the smallest noise, 

I meant get some speaker emulation for your headphones. There are plugins that do so, or some hardware that does too (like the Focusrite VRMbox and Saffire Pro 24 DSP). 

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 13
I can comment as far as I have the HD600's for studio mix/checking use and am also considering the 7520's.

Reason being, the HD600's are fairly power hungry and even with a quality DAC w/ HP amp DAC included (Dangerous Source) the output is just ok.  I'm sure due to the HD600's impedance.

So the way I see it, comes down to either consider a low cost HP amp to feed of your DAC. Or, the 7520's (@24 ohms impedance) would potentially be a better option for use w/o a dedicated HP amp.

Not sure what feeds your HP's at this time but that's my take.

I'm still wondering if I might sell the H600's and buy the 7520's based on they not needing a separate amp purchase for studio use.
confused_face(1).gif

I also have very good monitors for most listening.

FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back