Sony MDR-7509HD help please
Jun 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Les Adams

New Head-Fier
I recently paid £80 for a pair of second hand Sony MDR-7509HD headphones off Ebay. I am aware that there are many fakes around so I was cautious, but the seller produced an invoice from a registered Sony dealer stating he bought them in 2007 and are genuine Sony. However, after reading all the reviews on the net raving about these, I am very disappointed. I find the mid vocal range recessed and the upper midrange to be very harsh. I had my doubts that these were genuine so I contacted Sony and at their request sent them pictures and even took them to Sony in Weybridge to be examined. Despite this, Sony are still unable to confirm whether this pair are genuine or very good fakes. They want to send them to Japan for analysis but that will take weeks and in the meantime I cannot raise a dispute with the seller.

I am desperately trying to make a listening comparison with a known genuine pair as I am sure this will be conclusive. So, I am wondering if there is anybody on here living in London or around Surrey who has a pair and can oblige? Obviously I am prepare to travel to you and bring these along.

I also own a pair of MDR-7520, which are fantastic, some MDR-1R which I like, although a bit bass heavy and two pairs of Sennheiser HD25-2's. All of these sound better than this pair 7509HD's. It may transpire that I simply don't like them, or they are faulty, but if they are fake I need to get my money back.

So does anybody within reasonable travelling distance of Surrey (UK) have a pair of MDR-7509HD's I can compare these with please? I am sure it will only take a few minutes to establish the truth. I have tried Sony service centres and dealers with no success.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I recently paid £80 for a pair of second hand Sony MDR-7509HD headphones off Ebay. I am aware that there are many fakes around so I was cautious, but the seller produced an invoice from a registered Sony dealer stating he bought them in 2007 and are genuine Sony. However, after reading all the reviews on the net raving about these, I am very disappointed. I find the mid vocal range recessed and the upper midrange to be very harsh. I had my doubts that these were genuine so I contacted Sony and at their request sent them pictures and even took them to Sony in Weybridge to be examined. Despite this, Sony are still unable to confirm whether this pair are genuine or very good fakes. They want to send them to Japan for analysis but that will take weeks and in the meantime I cannot raise a dispute with the seller.

I am desperately trying to make a listening comparison with a known genuine pair as I am sure this will be conclusive. So, I am wondering if there is anybody on here living in London or around Surrey who has a pair and can oblige? Obviously I am prepare to travel to you and bring these along.

I also own a pair of MDR-7520, which are fantastic, some MDR-1R which I like, although a bit bass heavy and two pairs of Sennheiser HD25-2's. All of these sound better than this pair 7509HD's. It may transpire that I simply don't like them, or they are faulty, but if they are fake I need to get my money back.

So does anybody within reasonable travelling distance of Surrey (UK) have a pair of MDR-7509HD's I can compare these with please? I am sure it will only take a few minutes to establish the truth. I have tried Sony service centres and dealers with no success.

I felt the same about mids when I got my V6. I'm slowly starting to like it though. Give it more time. V6/7506/7509 family is known to have hallow and recessed mids.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I felt the same about mids when I got my V6. I'm slowly starting to like it though. Give it more time. V6/7506/7509 family is known to have hallow and recessed mids.

I really don't think that is going to happen. Maybe if it was the only pair of headphones I own I would grow accustomed to them, but I really think something is wrong hence the reason I want to hear them against a known genuine pair. If they turn out to be genuine then I will sell them on Ebay. Nobody that uses my studio likes them, which goes against all I have read about the 7509

Users who are viewing this thread

Back