Sony MDR-7506 vs Beyerdynamic DT 880...
Nov 26, 2006 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chops

500+ Head-Fier
Kind of an odd question I suppose, but I'd like some input regardless if at all possible.

A couple of years back, (shortly after I joined here) I got out of headphones. I guess they just weren't for me back then. I had Senn HD545, HD580 and HD600's powered by a HeadRoom Cosmic. I eventually just ended up with the 600's and Cosmic. It was a great little setup.

Anyway, things have changed a bit over the years and now I am getting back into headphones, this time for more of a necessity than anything else. Not that this is a bad thing or anything mind you.

So with that in mind I have been using my old, trusty Sony cans (which I've had for years) along with the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum soundcard in my web/file server. I know this isn't an optimum setup by any means, but it's what I have for the time being. Also, I know these Sony cans are capable of more bass than what I'm getting at the moment. I feel the lack of bass extension is due to the cheapie headphone amp built into the Audigy2 control panel.

I am in the process of "upgrading" as funds permit and right now have my eyes on a pair of original DT 880's. I know these can present a difficult load to a lesser amp (a.k.a. - Audigy2). I had the pleasure of hearing a pair of DT 880's when they first came out on the market, first through a Cary SLI-80 integrated tube amp, then through my Cosmic. Obviously, this was several years ago and I no longer have a clue as to how they sound. Although, for some reason I thought I remember them having a little more bass output and/or extension than the Senn HD600's. I know that goes against everything all the reviews and members say, but maybe I just don't remember correctly anymore (the latter probably being the case).

Now I have to admit, eventhough I've been out of the headphone scene for a while, I always thought these Sony's did a pretty fair job. I'm just curious of what to expect once I get my hands on the DT 880's.

Here's my questions:

1) Has anyone ever tried powering the DT 880's with an Audigy soundcard? If so, what were the results, considering?

2) Has anyone ever compared the DT 880's to the MDR-7506's?

In closing, I would just like to say that it's nice to be back AND thanks in advance to everyone!

-Charles

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 14
Now I know some of you have heard both of these cans before. Come on, don't be shy.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Also, what's the difference between the original DT 880's and the new DT 880 2005 series?

And any suggestions on either 32 ohm or 250 ohm version?

Anyone?

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what's the difference between the original DT 880's and the new DT 880 2005 series?

Anyone?

These links show the differences between the new and old dt880, here and here. Good luck=]

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops
1) Has anyone ever tried powering the DT 880's with an Audigy soundcard? If so, what were the results, considering?

I've tried the DT 880s straight from a soundcard and the results were less than impressive. Very thin sound with a good bit of harshness. These were the pre-2005 models with 250 ohm impedance.

Quote:

2) Has anyone ever compared the DT 880's to the MDR-7506's?

I really dislike the 7506/V6s, so I may not be the best one to answer, but I've heard both extensively. I found the 7506 to be very harsh and fatiguing in the upper midrange, and to have a bloated and offensive bass response. The DT 880 is hugely better in all respects.

Quote:

The 2005+ DT 880 is definitely an improvement over the old one. I found the new to be a bit more livelier, and to have a more balanced sound. Either one is a great buy, but if it's in your price range I'd get the new one hands down. If you plan on driving them directly out of your soundcard, or through portable equipment, get the 32 ohm version for sure.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the DT 880s straight from a soundcard and the results were less than impressive. Very thin sound with a good bit of harshness. These were the pre-2005 models with 250 ohm impedance.

Oh yes, I forgot, I also spoke to a headroom.com rep., and he basically told me the same thing, that the old dt880 without an amp isn't recommended, but with one, it's definitely a can to look out for.

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the input guys!

The cans I'm going for are the originals. Eventhough they're the 250 ohm version, I still plan on either buying or building an amp for them. If they sound really bad through the Audigy, I'll just park them for a couple of weeks and use the 7506's until I get a suitable amp.

Feel free to throw out suggestions on some good, inexpensive amps/kits if you feel like it as well... hint, hint
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 14
The DT880 and 7506/V6 definitely have one thing in common: brightness.
biggrin.gif
Both are also prone to sibilance - the 7506/V6 moreso. In fact, it's an outright signature of the headphone and other Sony cans in general, based on what I've heard. The sibilance of the DT880, however, lessens with burn-in, although it doesn't completely go away.

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 14
Hi Asr,

After reading so much about the 880's, I'm thinking that maybe I should start broadening my horizons so to speak. After listening to these 7506's nearly all day today, I'm getting a bit annoyed by that somewhat hard sibilance. If the 880's have any hint of that sibilance as well, then I don't think I'll be totally happy with them and wonder "what if".

I don't know, but I am starting to look back into the HD580, 600 and possibly the 650's. At least I know what to expect with the 580's and 600's since I used to own them. It will just be a matter of getting an amp worthy of them, and any good set of cans for that matter.

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 14
It's going to tremendously depend on your source and amp with the DT 880s. They are pretty notorious for exposing any faults in a system-- something that can be annoying if that's not what you're looking for. How about something like the Sennheiser HD 595? They sounded like great all-rounders when I listened to them, and with a 50 ohm impedance you could probably drive them straight out of the soundcard.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 14
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to steer away from the Beyers and go back to something from Senn.

For the time being, I think I should probably get a nice amp first, then worry about new cans a little later (very near future). Maybe something like a Heed or one of the smaller HeadRoom's? While thinking about using my Sony's for a little longer, I decided to order new Beyer velour ear pads for them from B&H Photo last night. They should hopefully be here within a few days.

Here's a few pics of my 7506's at present. As you can see, I definately need the new pads. In fact, I could also go for a new head band as well. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to get and who to buy from as far as a new head band is concerned? I remember seeing elsewhere on the forum someone who bought the head band cover for the DT 880's and put it on a totally different pair of cans, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I'd like to get the Beyer band if possible.

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #12 of 14
I've never heard the 7506, but ive AB'd the sony v6 (which i hear is the same phone? or at least similar) against my dt880 off a headroom microstack. v6 had more bass, did not feel as defined as the 880s nor as much headroom, but two things it did have were bass and portability. 880s were definitely brighter, without a doubt. thats one thing with 880s I don't think will ever change, its bright. That said tho, heres some things you should know.

Never run the 880 ampless, it sounds horrible off an audigy or any unamped sound card. 7506 will probably be way more forgiving on your music if you just want a "fun" sound. 880s are analytical and more suited as reference phones. 880s are bright, regardless of your setup they will still be somewhat bright (unless you're running off tubes). 880s are also $149 at b&h's website right now (2003 version). if you want to order headbands, earpads, or anything else thats a replacement part for beyer cans, order them direct from beyer US. but do some research and make sure you have the order number for the correct part as it will make a huge difference, there are numerous headbands and they work across different models but most likely the one you need is very specific. the number for beyer us is 1-800-293-4463. they have no website but if you need some sites for order numbers try beyer.uk or thomman.de

I would buy the 880s now if you're sure you want the 2003 version, as $149 is a great price, unless you're looking at other phones with less sibilance. check out these threads for info on ordering beyer pads and headbands. as well as instructions on how to do it. I couldn't find anything on headbands but try a search im sure something should pop up.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19043
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153294

Users who are viewing this thread

Back