Sony MDR-1r vs Bayerdynamics dt880 600ohms
Sep 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lesmiserables13

New Head-Fier
which is better?
how they are (and/or in comparison with v-moda m-100, ath m50, or sennheiser 650)
sq, comfort, soundstage, bass, lows, mids, highs, etc.

genre: everything
gear: fiio e12 mont blanc, v-dac mkii, schiit bifrost, vallhala

Thank you.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello!

You have a powerful amplifier! You should go for the DT880! Never tried it but have tested the MDR-1R, and I find it have slow attacks, and colored sounding althought it's smooth sounding at the same time but if you are looking for accuracy, the MDR-1R are definitely not for you

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
which is better?
how they are (and/or in comparison with v-moda m-100, ath m50, or sennheiser 650)
sq, comfort, soundstage, bass, lows, mids, highs, etc.

genre: everything
gear: fiio e12 mont blanc, v-dac mkii, schiit bifrost, vallhala

Thank you.

Heya,

Based on your equipment, I would go for the DT880. It matches well. The MDR1R doesn't need any of that equipment, it's built for people to plug into their iphones (literally). The DT880 offers a better sound stage, slightly better detailing, more of a natural sound (to me at least). In comparison to the M100, the DT880 has more treble spikes, less obvious mid-bass, but better mids and better sound stage. In comparison to the M50, the DT880 has better everything other than isolation. In comparison to the HD650, the DT880 has more treble extension, similar mids, better sub-bass presence, similar in many other attributes though.

It depends on what you're looking for.

If you want something to replace the M100/M50, the MRD1R is an option for that, if you just want a different sound with more treble and/or different refinement.
If you want something for home use, that will actually utilize your equipment, the DT880 600ohm is much more likely to do this job.

Very best,

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for the response.

I'm looking for something more refined, with tighter bass (less mid-bass than m-100), while crisp and clear in the mids and highs, and also better breadth for vocals...
neutral and biting, but not harsh 

I'm also looking at hifiman he-500. How does this phone perform with the fiio e12 I wonder? Anyone tried it yet?

I'm using the Mont Blanc a lot more lately. I find the airy feel of Vallhala takes away the emotions of the songs. It swallows the lingering ends of vocals, of the final notes, the last melodies of each line, all too quickly, too swallowing to incite embedded emotions.

Fiio claimed the White Mountain can drive planar headphones, so I really want to try this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back