Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Oct 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #346 of 546
Just confirmed that the volume control on the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 is internal and does not affect the volume levels on the smartphone (I used a Samsung Galaxy S5).

Further, I turned the (BT) Media and System volumes both to full on the S5 and then used the volume controls on the Sony and the volume continued to increase for at least 4 presses (I stopped after 4 because of loudness concerns).

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #347 of 546
Thought I'd share my review from the High End Bluetooth Headphones thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/710413/high-end-bluetooth-headphones/420#post_10908324

Quote:
I received the Japanese market Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 on Saturday and I've been listening to them nonstop each chance I get (which is only about 3-4 hours a day unfortunately, but still a good amount).

Headphones can sometimes be a burden to me and I oftentimes find myself opting for a sound system to cut the cord and get some freedom at my desk at the office and home. This is despite the fact that I have a couple of decent wired cans. Wireless was a big deal for me but I went in to this knowing there would be compromises over a comparably priced wired set.

Well, now I'm thinking what compromises? I've never loved using a headphone set as much as these, ever. Wired or wireless but the fact they're wireless makes them that much more impressive.

They're incredibly comfortable and just the right size. There is metal in the construction but it doesn't weigh you down. They're surprisingly lightweight which adds greatly to the comfort factor. Convenience is a consideration of comfort as well. The playback and volume controls work via the AVRCP profile and are easy to use. There is a small volume rocker like you'd find on a smartphone and a combo play/pause push button that toggles up or down with a pleasant spring action for track skip/back. Much better than click buttons. Pairing was also convenient via NFC. I just pressed my Galaxy S5 back against the NFC logo on the headphones (the right ear cup I think) and my phone showed a prompt, "Pair with MDR-1RBT?". So easy.

They look great, too. I like sleek, modern styling and these have it. They're stealthy black but for the eye-catching red anodized aluminum strip. The micro USB and 3.5 mm input port have small attached rubber covers that help keep it sleek. The hinges are sturdy and the extensions have a positive click to them.

While they are not noise canceling, they are passively sealed and almost no normal level noise comes in at all. To clarify, I'm using them at a typical office which has phones ringing and laser printers going all day nearby me.

The sound quality is incredibly good. They have a beautifully balanced sound and have made all my music "come alive". I'm hearing little sounds I've never heard before and I'm finding myself scrambling for my old tracks to reexperience them. I go through phases with my listening, right now I'm focused on vocal heavy EDM but I'm throwing all kinds of genres at them and they're handling them all. Although, in fairness they're not the best fit for hip-hop or tracks produced with emphasis on bass and deemphasis on mids and highs. So bassheads should look elsewhere (the Logitech UE 9000 for example). Even so, the sound out of these is beautiful and I happily throw hip-hop at them because the sound is so damn good.

For being Bluetooth, the sound quality is unreasonably good (yes, unreasonably). One just doesn't expect any wireless cans to reach audiophile levels, yet these easily surpass the venerated Zik. I would rate them 10/10 for that reason alone. I've never heard wireless sound this good and I've tested a lot. I'm sure AptX has a lot to do with it as well. You have to have good input to get good output.

I haven't had a chance to test the battery performance much but I've yet to run out of juice after a full charge on the day I got them. I think that's about 25 hours playback at this point. The battery is rated for 30 hours. I left them on tonight on accident. I'll see tomorrow how the standby time affected the battery remaining.

I'm so very happy and I just love these wonderful cans. Haven't thought that since the last bachelor party I attended!

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #348 of 546
Okay so the MDR-1RBT MK2 works pretty well with the PS Vita, but what I didn't know was it 'pairs' with the PS3 but you cannot have audio out via bluetooth unless you grab one of those Sony Wireless headphones made especially for PS3! I wonder if PS4 has this limitation as well.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #349 of 546
  Okay so the MDR-1RBT MK2 works pretty well with the PS Vita, but what I didn't know was it 'pairs' with the PS3 but you cannot have audio out via bluetooth unless you grab one of those Sony Wireless headphones made especially for PS3! I wonder if PS4 has this limitation as well.

Yes.
Because PS3 and PS4 doesn't support A2DP Profile

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #350 of 546
Thanks for the review ObsidianGT.  I am really curious about the BT version, but they are in the end of my wishlist coz I want to use my DAC/AMP.  If wired, do they sound great as the MDR-1R?

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #351 of 546
Hi

Can somebody advise, I have purchased MK2, but there is no marking on the headphone at al... packaging was all MK2 and sealed etc. but headphone states MDR-1RBT only.

Thanks in advance
Banchini

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #352 of 546
  Hi

Can somebody advise, I have purchased MK2, but there is no marking on the headphone at al... packaging was all MK2 and sealed etc. but headphone states MDR-1RBT only.

Thanks in advance
Banchini

Yes, physically it's exactly the same as the original MDR-1RBT (with no MK2 marking) ^_^
You can only find out that it's indeed an MK2 by connecting the headphone to the devices that support aptX :D

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #353 of 546
  Thanks for the review ObsidianGT.  I am really curious about the BT version, but they are in the end of my wishlist coz I want to use my DAC/AMP.  If wired, do they sound great as the MDR-1R?

If you don't NEED BT then get the new MDR-1A, it will sound better, the BT version is more typical sony, i.e you are not super worried about accuracy, just a nice warmish sound that sounds quiet good without expensive gear.

I pair mine with v4a on the 1rbt profile which gets rid of some of the warmth.

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #354 of 546
Hi

Thanks in advance
Banchini

Try see if your set serial number fall inside below S/N range

8600103-8602618

I only have this range of MDR-1RBTMk2 serial number. Other than above range, I am not sure.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #355 of 546

Hi

Thanks in advance
Banchini

Try see if your set serial number fall inside below S/N range

8600103-8602618

I only have this range of MDR-1RBTMk2 serial number. Other than above range, I am not sure.

Easiest way to check is that the MK1 does not have aptx as far as I can tell. So if it is the MK2, turn your headphones on by holding the power and volume + buttons, it should flash blue once, then red 1-3 times depending on the battery left, and if it flashes blue 3 times then it has aptx and is the MK2

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #356 of 546
For those that have the Sony MDR-1RBT and the Wireless Beats Studio would you please be so kind to compare the sound leakage. I am still undecided between the Sony MDR-1RBT and the Wireless Beats Studio. I am looking for a new over-ear headphones (wireless) for usage in the office where I am working with 8 people nearby and I don't want them to get annoyed by my music because of sound leakage.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #357 of 546
I was trying to decide between the MDR-1RMK2 for $179 or the Creative Aurvana Live!2 for $99. After reading this thread I think I will go for the CAL!2. and maybe wait for the MDR-1A to come down in price.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #358 of 546
Very nice review, I'm on the verge of upgrading to the Sony mdr 1r bt mk2 from my current logitech ue9000. From reviews I have read the sonys mk2 have better bass compared to the original mdr1, how does the mk2 Compare to the ue 9000 in this department? I love my ue 9000 for electronic music, the bass is perfect for me, I'm hoping the mk2 would be even better...

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #359 of 546
  For those that have the Sony MDR-1RBT and the Wireless Beats Studio would you please be so kind to compare the sound leakage. I am still undecided between the Sony MDR-1RBT and the Wireless Beats Studio. I am looking for a new over-ear headphones (wireless) for usage in the office where I am working with 8 people nearby and I don't want them to get annoyed by my music because of sound leakage.

If that's the case, Sony MDR-1RBTMk2 a home run for you.
Using it playing Adam Levine A Higher Place with my kid 3-4 ft from me, he hear nothing, even he's tried hard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back