Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Sep 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #331 of 546

Thank you!! Apparently this was the culprit all along! There is also an AVCRP target profile for me to connect to although I do not know what it does as when I try connecting to it, I got no audio.

When I said crappy stereo it kinda sounds like well, handsfree audio and that smartphone earbuds sounded better than the MDR-1RBTMK2!

In any case, I've solved the issue and it sounded as good as if it was connected to a smartphone now, although I did a fresh re-install of the CSR software that came with it. 

One quick question, it seems after I connect the bluetooth adapter and after using it I would like to safely remove the device but I can't seem to find any "Safely Remove Device'" at the notification bar. Do you guys just unplug it from the USB port after disconnecting the connection with your headphones?

Again, thank you guys so much.

Glad you got it working! AVCRP is a BT profile for play/pause/volume controls. Works great on Android but it's hit or miss with Windows. I think iTunes does support it and also Windows Media Player.

As others have said, you don't have to worry about "Safely Remove Device" with your BT adapter. That's mainly a precaution for disk drives during writing/reading to help avoid corrupted data.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #332 of 546

I recieved the MDR-1R Mk2 for christmas. So far I'm liking it, the first pair of headphones that are both nice looking and nice sounding!

I don't have the 1r, but I tried my dad's mdr-10r. If I were to do a comparison, I'd have to do a comparison based off memory. So unless if anyone wants to send me a pair of 1r's to put side by side; I'll just review the 1r mk2's for now :)
Just letting them burn-in.

Hi, I just ordered the Sony MDR-1RBTmk2 (did you get the BT ones or the non-BT ones?).. just yesterday I was considering the MDR-10RBT -glad I didn't purchase them then.. I was wondering how they compared.. Sounds like you have access to both (yours & your dad's)..

So where is your review?

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #333 of 546
  While it's true that the 1A and 1ADAC are right around the corner, I don't think either of those is a direct replacement for the 1RBTMK2 because neither of them support Bluetooth. The closest I could come up with is the new MDR-XB950BT/B (AKA "Extra Bass" lol?), but even it seems to come up short. It's half the price and just judging from specs it doesn't seem to measure up:

MDR-1RBTMK2: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/mdr-1rbtmk2

MDR-XB950BT/B: http://store.sony.com/extra-bass-bluetooth-headset-zid27-MDRXB950BT/B/cat-27-catid-collections-ifa

Unless I missed something from IFA? Or perhaps a "MDR-1ABT" is in the works?

OMG.. I remember I stopped DJing and my Sony MDR-V700 DJ headphones broke :frowning2:.. I needed something inexpensive and just to listen to around the house.. so i picked up the Sony MDR-XB700 (looking for that XtraBass!).. Wow, they are such a waste! At best, they super soft & comfy and feel like having pillows on the sides of my face! I highly advise to stay away from any 'XB' models... What is Sony thinking? From my single product experience, they're garbage!

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #334 of 546

Hi, I just ordered the Sony MDR-1RBTmk2 (did you get the BT ones or the non-BT ones?).. just yesterday I was considering the MDR-10RBT -glad I didn't purchase them then.. I was wondering how they compared.. Sounds like you have access to both (yours & your dad's)..

So where is your review?

I don't have access to the 10rbt's anymore, my dad sold them off for Sennheiser Momentums. I got the non Blutooth MDR-1R's. The only review I have is that both are really comfy :p

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #335 of 546
I just get it from Amazon. Everything looks good. but it has a high frequency noise inbackground, it doesn't come from the audio source, since I didn't play any audio, just power on and connect. It's really boring and unacceptable, I'm going to return it. Anyone has the same experience? Is it some kind of defect just for this one I get? If so, maybe worth to try a replacement.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #336 of 546
I just get it from Amazon. Everything looks good. but it has a high frequency noise inbackground, it doesn't come from the audio source, since I didn't play any audio, just power on and connect. It's really boring and unacceptable, I'm going to return it. Anyone has the same experience? Is it some kind of defect just for this one I get? If so, maybe worth to try a replacement.

Is this a common thing through all sources?

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #340 of 546

I just received my Sony MDR-1RBTmk2 that I ordered from Amazon yesterday.. I picked up the new Beats Studio Wireless about week ago but after reading all the reviews on the Sony's, I was anticipating that after doing a sound comparison, I would be marching right back into Best Buy to return the Beats - but it appears such will not be the case. Last night I spent about 3 hours doing sound comparisons between the Sony/Beats/& Skullcandy Mix Master.. I listened to a variety of the same songs with all headphones and I took note of the frequency response, loudness & clarity, and enjoyment and comfort. So far, in the past 12 hours (minus the 6 that I slept for), the Beats are killing it in frequency response, loudness & clarity, and enjoyment, while the Sony is most comfortable. I'm so shocked and amazed that these Sony's cannot get as loud as the Beats; it's quite disappointing actually, because they are so much more comfortable and I wear headphones 4-8+hrs/day for 5 days/week, and now instead of returning the Beats, I'll probably be returning these Sony's. :frowning2:

Mine do not have any high frequency background white noise.. have you tried switching the sound modes and see if it goes away? You might have a defective item. :-/

edit: i am listening in both Standard and apt-x enhanced mode with an apt-x device

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #342 of 546
yep, I eventually found it's my main board's fault, it's asus p9x79 pro, with BT GO!.
when I use it with my phone and pad the noise is much smaller, but still exist, I probably need to disable the bluetooth adapter on the main board. BTW, seems the logictech G700s also contribute some part of the interruption.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #343 of 546
I've got the reverse experience than yours. Beats FR was so inaccurate when compare to Sony. Beats headphone clarity was an issue to me as always Studio Wireless was not much different. Think probably Dr. Dre are too Hip-Hop minded and doesn't care about overall music presentation.

Off the 3 headphones including Parrot Zik, Sony MDR-1RBTMk2 are definitely the much better SQ set, even thought the bass freq was not flat, but it provide more enjoyable sound than the bass flat headphone.

Speaking Parrot Zik, what the hell Parrot sound engineer are thinking off when they tune this headphone? I would rather hang myself and get kill instead of listening to Parrot Zik for another few minutes. Parrot Zik SQ was that horrible, in my long experience in Lo-End stereo or Hi-End Audiophile equipments.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #344 of 546
  yep, I eventually found it's my main board's fault, it's asus p9x79 pro, with BT GO!.
when I use it with my phone and pad the noise is much smaller, but still exist, I probably need to disable the bluetooth adapter on the main board. BTW, seems the logictech G700s also contribute some part of the interruption.

Good thing you were able to isolate the issue.

I've got the reverse experience than yours. Beats FR was so inaccurate when compare to Sony. Beats headphone clarity was an issue to me as always Studio Wireless was not much different. Think probably Dr. Dre are too Hip-Hop minded and doesn't care about overall music presentation.

Off the 3 headphones including Parrot Zik, Sony MDR-1RBTMk2 are definitely the much better SQ set, even thought the bass freq was not flat, but it provide more enjoyable sound than the bass flat headphone.

Speaking Parrot Zik, what the hell Parrot sound engineer are thinking off when they tune this headphone? I would rather hang myself and get kill instead of listening to Parrot Zik for another few minutes. Parrot Zik SQ was that horrible, in my long experience in Lo-End stereo or Hi-End Audiophile equipments.

Yeah, after more time with the 2 headphones (the new Beats Studio Wireless & the Sony MDR-1RBTmk2) I must update my findings:: The Sony's have great frequency response; clarity is amazing and overal listening enjoyment is excellent. But, the fact still remains that these headphones do not get loud enough; however, after including Skullcandy Mix Master's in the comparison, I have determined that the Beats appear to have some amplification, as they get beyond loud; the Sony's get as loud as the Skullcandy's (which isn't very loud).. I imagine this is the reason why so many people must include an additional headphone amplifier with their fancy Hi-Fi headphones.

I still can't get over how amazingly comfortable the Sony's are...!! :-D

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #345 of 546
  Good thing you were able to isolate the issue.

Yeah, after more time with the 2 headphones (the new Beats Studio Wireless & the Sony MDR-1RBTmk2) I must update my findings:: The Sony's have great frequency response; clarity is amazing and overal listening enjoyment is excellent. But, the fact still remains that these headphones do not get loud enough; however, after including Skullcandy Mix Master's in the comparison, I have determined that the Beats appear to have some amplification, as they get beyond loud; the Sony's get as loud as the Skullcandy's (which isn't very loud).. I imagine this is the reason why so many people must include an additional headphone amplifier with their fancy Hi-Fi headphones.

I still can't get over how amazingly comfortable the Sony's are...!! :-D

I was starting to wonder about your hearing... or mine. hehe

I have essentially the same impressions as you. The Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 is just phenomenal sounding, especially when compared to the likes of Beats. You're also absolutely right about the comfort, too. The Sony's are unreal with their comfort. It sounds so corny when I say this out loud, but they feel like satin hotel pillows against your ears. I almost want to wear them even if nothing is playing LOL. I seriously love these cans.

I think you're right about the loudness. They could be a bit louder, especially for noisy environments. Personally it is just right for my situation in a "normal" office environment. My source is my Galaxy S5 and it has separate audio controls for BT/media which I have set to about 80%. The MK2's also have their own volume controls that I'm fairly positive control their own volume internally (without regard to the source). Perhaps I'll test this tomorrow at work.

Too bad Sony didn't have the foresight to bring these to the USA. AptX was so high on my list when shopping that I was about to go with 10RBT's had I not found a source to import the Japanese MK2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back