Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Aug 26, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #301 of 546
I should do this, ask the retailer to mark it as low as possible to evade all the crazy tax and other fees. lol

I did not ask this and was very pleased when they automatically reduced the customs label.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #304 of 546
  How in the world do you replace the earpads on the MDR-1R - is this simply a major oversight?

ah you remove the pads and place the new pads on
blink.gif
why would that be a problem?

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #305 of 546
I looked back through the thread and couldn't find anything definitive so Im wondering if anyone can give me a brief idea of what the mdr-1rbt mk2 sound like using apt-x. Would really appreciate just what the general sound signature is and to what other cans the SQ compares..
Thanks

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #306 of 546
I looked back through the thread and couldn't find anything definitive so Im wondering if anyone can give me a brief idea of what the mdr-1rbt mk2 sound like using apt-x. Would really appreciate just what the general sound signature is and to what other cans the SQ compares..
Thanks

try looking it up at goldenear.net (they have a standard test system along with blind test with random volunteers) - more or less their test are more accurate compared to people personal opinion on reviews, not to mention all the placebo this business dipped into.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #307 of 546
What about the plastic tabs on the earpad frame - can you simply fit, for example, the dt250s over said frame? I thought the earpad and frame were one piece on the 1Rs.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #308 of 546
After being impressed with the design, craftsmanship and audio quality of the Logitech UE 9000's while at the same time being disappointed with the AptX issues (primarily with Android AptX devices, but seemingly Logitech's fault, although iPhone AptX seems to be fine), I decided I'd see what other options are out there.

I've read a lot through this thread and the High End Bluetooth thread, and also an interesting Gizmodo AU review. Turns out the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 seems to be the tip-top as far as high-end BT goes. I hunted and found a deal for about $275 + $33 shipping from Japan (I'm in the US) on Amazon US here. Couldn't say no to that.

Guess I'll be selling the UE 9000's then.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #309 of 546
What about the plastic tabs on the earpad frame - can you simply fit, for example, the dt250s over said frame? I thought the earpad and frame were one piece on the 1Rs.

those are velvel or velour? dont use them, they arent sound isolating and the pleather fabric is crucial to the sound performance of the 1r, the bass will probably be most affected if you change them into velvet/velour type pads.

After being impressed with the design, craftsmanship and audio quality of the Logitech UE 9000's while at the same time being disappointed with the AptX issues (primarily with Android AptX devices, but seemingly Logitech's fault, although iPhone AptX seems to be fine), I decided I'd see what other options are out there.

I've read a lot through this thread and the High End Bluetooth thread, and also an interesting Gizmodo AU review. Turns out the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 seems to be the tip-top as far as high-end BT goes. I hunted and found a deal for about $275 + $33 shipping from Japan (I'm in the US) on Amazon US here. Couldn't say no to that.

its is one of the better bt versions out there, did you have the chance to test them? how to they sound compared to the wired one, I've read reviews that they sound different but wasn't able to actually test one.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #310 of 546
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was only using the dt250s as an example. What pads did you purchase for your 1r and how did you install them given the tab retention system?

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #311 of 546
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was only using the dt250s as an example. What pads did you purchase for your 1r and how did you install them given the tab retention system?

I haven't purchased the original pads from sony as they aren't available here in my area and import cost would make it double the srp, I'm still looking around for a pleather replacement thats a bit chunkier and deepr compared to the original (just locally), or last resort I DIY one, just have to find the right materials shopping around textile and fabric shops locally. lol

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #312 of 546
Is it possible to install a new set of pads while forgoing the Sony retention mechanism (i.e., directly mount the pads)? If not, the robustness of these headphones seems greatly reduced.

I also have had a hard time finding direct replacements for the Sony OEM earpads and am worried that if they stop manufacturing them, these headphones will be paper weights.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #313 of 546

But iPhone doesn't have aptx
rolleyes.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #314 of 546

its is one of the better bt versions out there, did you have the chance to test them? how to they sound compared to the wired one, I've read reviews that they sound different but wasn't able to actually test one.

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to test them. I had a difficult time even finding the MK2 in the US to begin with. Even Sony's website only seems to mention the original version. The MK2 doesn't seem to be available here. I guess I took a chance but I'm fairly confident in my decision.

But iPhone doesn't have aptx
rolleyes.gif

Not an iPhone user so I wasn't really certain, but now it makes sense that iPhones would work since AptX is broken on the UE 9000's (if your device/phone has AptX you get no sound and must go wired or find a way to disable AptX on it). I understand that the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 has the ability to select an A2DP codec; AptX, SBC (HQ) and SBC. That's pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back