Sony MDR-1R series MK2
May 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #256 of 546
I'm wondering the same, specially the bass, is it authoritative, does it go deep? I was recently using a pair of logitech ue 9000 and absolutely loved them for its strength and deep bass output but everything else was clear! Anyone compare the mk2 with the ue 9000?

May 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #257 of 546
I'm wondering the same, specially the bass, is it authoritative, does it go deep? I was recently using a pair of logitech ue 9000 and absolutely loved them for its strength and deep bass output but everything else was clear! Anyone compare the mk2 with the ue 9000?
The improvements on the MK2 over the orginal 1R about 4 to 5.. Better bass is one. I am newbie, never had the 1R, I went straight for the MK2   I have the bluetooth model. 

May 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #258 of 546

I have M100's that are supposedly similar to the UE9000's (except the M100's have a small treble spike). I use them a lot more than the mk2's.

To answer your question, no, the bass is not authoritative. It's more of a knocky-punch bass rather than deep rumbles.

The overall presentation of the Mk2's from my perspective is that they are a laid back, comfy headphone. This applies to the thick mids, smooth highs and relaxed bass that accompanies the soft comfort and luxurious look of the Mk2's.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #259 of 546
I picked up a pair of the MDR-1RBTMK2 a couple of months ago in Hong Kong. Overall I would say it's a decent headphone but if I wouldn't recommend them to people who prominently listen to rock music like myself when using the Bluetooth.
I'm not sure if it's the DSP magic going on but somehow it sounds different than when listening direct from my Note3 using the cable - it's more fatiguing and harsh, with a slightly more boomy bass sound that has a tendency to fade into the background noise when out and about.

The NFC pairing and Bluetooth controls are awesome though, so easy to use and it's great having additional volume control on the device as my Note3 is stuck with 15 enormous volume steps, so this allows a little more gradual volume adjustment. I don't use the music controls though as I tend to use my Pebble to play/pause and skip tracks instead.

I also have the problem mentioned with my ears pressing up against the mesh though - this only happens after about an hour and usually on my left side first (seems my ears are wonky, lol)

The only weird thing I find is that they seem to make the can rotate flat the wrong side, every time I pick them up I feel like it should rotate the pads so they would be facing down flat on my collar bone if I was wearing them around my neck, so I have often put them on backwards - making the ear thing even worse since the mesh is angled.

All in all it's enough to make me want to ditch them now... think I'll go back to in ears for portable stuff.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #260 of 546

The bass on my MDR-1Rs is thick, chewy and fat. It's not authoritative. Then again, I don't know many headphone around this price range that has an "authoritative" bass. I usually reserve that descriptive to the upper tier of headphones. Some would deserve it though.

Think of the Sony's bass as slow, loose and fun. It doesn't go super deep and is more emphasised at the upper bass regions around the mid-bass frequencies. It's a very fun sound. I don't take it too seriously, if sound could be personified in such a way.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #261 of 546
Would anyone recommend this headphone for watching movies? I would be hooking my iPad up to the Sony PHA-2 and hook up this set of headphones. Any reviews or comments on this? Many thanks in advance.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #262 of 546
Would anyone recommend this headphone for watching movies? I would be hooking my iPad up to the Sony PHA-2 and hook up this set of headphones. Any reviews or comments on this? Many thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply. Never got the chance to browse this section of headfi.

Reason why you should get the MDR-1R Mk2's for movie watching:

-They have a light clamp, are light weight and generally comfortable for a portable movie experience without the use of an amplifier.

Reason why you shouldn't get the MDR-1R Mk2's for movie watching:

-The mids are a bit thick for female actresses

Should you get the MDR-1R Mk2's for movie watching? (In my opinion?)

No. You won't be making much use of that amplifier.
If you're not worried about isolation and portability, maybe consider open back headphones?

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #264 of 546

The NAD will be better for watching films as they have more clarity and neutrality whilst still packing a punch. I like my MDR's, but they are not as clear as my AKG K550's, are not as comfortable for 2-hour periods, and don't have a long cable. However, if I want thick, chewy bass with more fatness and impact, I break out the Sony's.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #265 of 546
Hey guys, I bought the MDR-1RBTMK2 after lurking through this forum and reading a bunch of recommendations for a good bluetooth set.  I started with the Beats Studio Wireless and the Sony MDR-1RBT "MK1" - bought both from Best Buy to have a little trial period.  Long story short, the Sony's ended up being right for me, and I wanted to get the updated MK2 set.  I imported a pair from Korea and received them last week.

I'm having a small problem with them though, and was hoping one of you guys might be able to help.  I paired them to my laptop (a Mid-2012 15-inch MacBook Pro) and everything was fine.  At the end of the day, I turned off the headphones.  The next day, I turned them back on, but my MacBook did not automatically connect them.  This was not a problem I had with the MK1s I had.  They connect fine with my iPhone every time.

Has anybody else experienced this with their laptop?  I've tried some basic things (remove, repair, re-initialize the headphones, reboot the laptop).  I've even tried a second laptop (another MacBook Pro, slightly older) and it also cannot "auto-connect" with the headphones after they are paired.

edit: well it looks like the issue resolved itself.  I went to work this morning and was still having the issue, even tried it on a friend's laptop and still seeing the issue.  Then this afternoon, it started connecting normally.  Not sure what the deal was, hopefully it doesn't come back!

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #266 of 546
  Hey guys, I bought the MDR-1RBTMK2 after lurking through this forum and reading a bunch of recommendations for a good bluetooth set.  I started with the Beats Studio Wireless and the Sony MDR-1RBT "MK1" - bought both from Best Buy to have a little trial period.  Long story short, the Sony's ended up being right for me, and I wanted to get the updated MK2 set.  I imported a pair from Korea and received them last week.

I did the same thing, bought the Beats Studio Wireless and then just got the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2. I had a different experience with the two. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I like the Beats better. They are both extremely comfortable headphones, look great, and pair easily with my macbook and iphone. To my ears, they also have similar sound signatures.

They both put out extremely fat, punchy bass. The Sony's bass seems more controlled, but hits just as hard. I love the bottom end of both of these headphones. My only problem is that everything else from the Sony's seems to take a back seat. With the Beats, you get loud bass but you also get loud vocals. Everything is thrown out at you, so in a way it all seems...balanced. Not in a tonally balanced, neutral type of way, its almost hard to describe. With the Sony's the bass is prominent, they move a lot of air, but everything else seems distant. This makes for a headphone that doesn't sound cohesive.

I'm hoping that an overnight burn in will help the rest of the sound open up a little bit. But as of right now, I'm thinking about returning the Sony's. I was really hoping the Sony's would be the complete package for me because the slight hiss from the Beats' active noise cancelling drives me crazy sometimes, especially when I'm watching anything with just spoken words.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #267 of 546

I did the same thing, bought the Beats Studio Wireless and then just got the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2. I had a different experience with the two. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I like the Beats better. They are both extremely comfortable headphones, look great, and pair easily with my macbook and iphone. To my ears, they also have similar sound signatures.

They both put out extremely fat, punchy bass. The Sony's bass seems more controlled, but hits just as hard. I love the bottom end of both of these headphones. My only problem is that everything else from the Sony's seems to take a back seat. With the Beats, you get loud bass but you also get loud vocals. Everything is thrown out at you, so in a way it all seems...balanced. Not in a tonally balanced, neutral type of way, its almost hard to describe. With the Sony's the bass is prominent, they move a lot of air, but everything else seems distant. This makes for a headphone that doesn't sound cohesive.

I'm hoping that an overnight burn in will help the rest of the sound open up a little bit. But as of right now, I'm thinking about returning the Sony's. I was really hoping the Sony's would be the complete package for me because the slight hiss from the Beats' active noise cancelling drives me crazy sometimes, especially when I'm watching anything with just spoken words.

Do you mean the sony have a soundstage and the Beats do not? 

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #268 of 546
  Do you mean the sony have a soundstage and the Beats do not? 

Haha yes and no. The Beats definitely have no soundstage, like sticking your head in a bucket. I reread my initial post and realized I made it seem like I didn't like the Sony's. They have an excellent soundstage for a closed can, but that's part of the problem. I listened to Time (one of my favorite test tracks) and it sounded excellent on the Sony's. Those clocks sounded magical compared to the Beats. Gilmour comes through clear and everything seems in its right place. However, on most hip-hop tracks the bass is so aggressive and forward that it seems to eat up vocals. Like when I'm listening to almost anything off Good Kid M.A.A.D. City, Kendrick is just swallowed up by the bass on the Sony's, but his voice sounds more forward and in line with the music on the Beats.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #270 of 546
The BT and NC versions of the MDR-1R are not the same sq as wired version.

You're probably right, ive read that they are different. I haven't had a chance to listen to the wired version of the MK2 though.

So I just wanted to update my impression of the MDR-1RBT MK2. I definitely spoke too soon about the Sony's being unbalanced or somehow sonically inferior to the Beats Studio Wireless. The problem is when ABing anything with the Beats, the Beats produce artificially weighted vocals. The Beats don't sound bad, but everything out of them just sounds a little too "thick" after spending some quality time with the Sony's. After a few days, I am absolutely loving the Sony's. I haven't had to charge the battery since the first day and their sound signature is exactly what I was looking for. Plenty of bass and detail without ever distorting or sounding sibilant.

I do have one small problem with the left earcup; my ear touches the driver ever so slightly. It's a little annoying after long listening sessions and I even noticed that there is more padding on the right side compared to the left. Anyone know if the earcup paddings are removable or if Sony replaces/sells earcup paddings for the MDR-1R?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back