Sony MDR-1R series MK2
May 1, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #241 of 546
Went to Tokyo to demo AT ES700 and buy (AT JPN vs UK pricing
eek.gif
)

Came home with these instead. Lovely headphone. So comfortable, like being hugged by a cloud. Sound is really on it. Not just the bass as most mentioned in the thread but the mids are sufficiently authoritative for this female vocal fan

May 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #242 of 546
I had bad luck on April 25th, I visited a coworker house after work.. I have my two sets of headphones, along with my tablet, camera and a lot of motorcycle race gear in my mini van.. The mini-van gets stolen..
frown.gif

That was on a Friday, I didn't wait another day. On Saturday, the very next day,I ordered another pair of Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, and the Harman Kardon BTs..

They will not leave my sight anymore..
wink_face.gif

May 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #243 of 546
  Went to Tokyo to demo AT ES700 and buy (AT JPN vs UK pricing
eek.gif
)

Came home with these instead. Lovely headphone. So comfortable, like being hugged by a cloud. Sound is really on it. Not just the bass as most mentioned in the thread but the mids are sufficiently authoritative for this female vocal fan

After you've developed your thoughts, I'd like to hear how they compare with your P7s.  I also own the 1R mk2.  Own but don't like the P5s.  Am curious about the P7.

Best,

-Jason

May 3, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #244 of 546
The P7 are way better than P3 and P5. The wonky sound is 'fixed'. Still bass bias but in a nice way that is good for drowning out sound of commute. But mids have more natural presentation and treble extended. To clarify again, this is versus P3/P5

In terms of comfort there is no contest the Sony is better but lack of clamping does mean it does not isolate. P7 does better job of keeping sound in and out

Will return with P7 vs MDR1R-MK2 sq thoughts in future

May 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #245 of 546
MDR-1RMK2 is very, very comfortable as I've mentioned before. It's easy to forget it's on your head. If you don't move your head too much, you might even forget you're wearing a headphone.

About sound isolation, I've tested various closed headphones, and in my humble opinion, if there's no active noise cancellation, sound will always seep through to the ears. This also made me relax with closed-back headphone searching, since open back ones have better soundstage, and when it comes to noise interruption, there's not much difference.

For passive noise barring, the clamping force needs to be strong - which might get uncomfortable on the ears and head, and may even get painful, the stronger the clamping force. And also, the harder the clamping force, the quicker the ears get warm and may even sweat faster.

In this case, for the flagship comfort of Sony's MDR range and good noise isolation, it's wise to invest in the MDR-1R's noise cancelling model. Only downside is it's more expensive. But you get both the fantastic comfort and active noise cancellation.

I'm using the basic 1RMK2 model.

May 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #246 of 546
Hi guys, 

So ive been listening to the BTmk2 for about 3 weeks now, and the bass is getting better and better i must say =D 
I have a question about aptx coding for these headphones, do i need to turn on the headphones with volume up and power on everytime to activate it? 

May 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #247 of 546
Hi guys, 

So ive been listening to the BTmk2 for about 3 weeks now, and the bass is getting better and better i must say =D 
I have a question about aptx coding for these headphones, do i need to turn on the headphones with volume up and power on everytime to activate it? 

Yes,

May 16, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #248 of 546
I don't think the MDR Mk.2's pair up well with the ODAC/O2. Since it makes the mids sound too thick. However, if FiiO doesn't change the sound signature of the beta firmware anytime soon for official release. I'd have to say the FiiO X3 portable DAP goes really well with the MDR Mk.2's.

The X3 has thin and detailed mids, lower treble (10khz) emphasis, warm punchy bass.
The MDR mk2's have thick mids, relaxed highs, cold punchy bass

If it weren't for this DAP, the mk.2's would still be in its' pouch.

May 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #249 of 546
  I don't think the MDR Mk.2's pair up well with the ODAC/O2. Since it makes the mids sound too thick. However, if FiiO doesn't change the sound signature of the beta firmware anytime soon for official release. I'd have to say the FiiO X3 portable DAP goes really well with the MDR Mk.2's.

The X3 has thin and detailed mids, lower treble (10khz) emphasis, warm punchy bass.
The MDR mk2's have thick mids, relaxed higher mids, smooth (knocky/cold bass)

If it weren't for this DAP, the mk.2's would still be in its' pouch.

I don't have a "golden ear" for sure..
biggrin.gif
 Right now, the MK2 sound super good to me without any amp/dac. I really got the amp/dac to go with the k550s, and soon to aquire open back headphones. But, I try the Sony with the amp/dacs and see what gives. I know Sony jumped up when I listen to some FLAC files through my Note 3.. Will stick and amp/dack inbetween and see what comes out the Sony.. All fun....

May 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #250 of 546
  I don't have a "golden ear" for sure..
biggrin.gif
 Right now, the MK2 sound super good to me without any amp/dac. I really got the amp/dac to go with the k550s, and soon to aquire open back headphones. But, I try the Sony with the amp/dacs and see what gives. I know Sony jumped up when I listen to some FLAC files through my Note 3.. Will stick and amp/dack inbetween and see what comes out the Sony.. All fun....

Don't worry, I highly doubt I have golden ears either :D
I'm fairly sure golden ears are a mix of both your actual physical hearing capabilities and just long hours of time listening to good sound sources.
The Sony Mk2's are very efficient and don't need an amp at all, the only thing changing the sound is the sound signature. The sound signature is what I mentioned above.

The ODAC is a more detailed DAC than the X3, but I can't really hear any better improvements.

May 18, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #251 of 546
Sony MDR-1R MK2 and B&W P7 a few weeks later

Comfort
No contest. As above, the Sony's feel like a cloud is hugging your head. Frankly if you cannot get on with the fit here then you might as well forget this category headphone entirely. Supreme comfort.

The P7 will be more personal. Clamping force is greater and the border of the pads will press on your head. Thankfully the pads are larger than on-ears and will not touch your ears. Benefit to be had from wearing in. If you are feeling the squeeze try using books overnight. Or 'persuading' the band gently and stretch out.

Build and Isolation
P7 is bigger profile and bigger build than the Sony. Sony looks nice but no hiding all-plastic feel. Despite the extra clamping of P7, isolation seems about the same between them. Where they differ is that the Sony suffers from wind noise and there is a touch of plastic creaking. Limited recommendation for Sony. Walk to local park or shop on a nice day it is fine.

Sound
Both will play nice with smartphones, Sony is hair more efficient. Actually more similarities then differences. Most people will like the bass extension and treble. Mids and vocals sound as they should. No trace of sibilance to these ears. Detail retrieval is about equal. You can pick out decay on guitar string plucks. Both engaging and forgiving.

Where they do differ is that:
(1) P7 wider and greater separation between each element. The Sony is closer sounding
(2) P7 treble is more prominent in the mix, particularly noticeable with cymbals. Not grating treble like budget Grado mind, but will be matter of taste, experience, perception and your source pairing.
(3) Conversely V-Shape of P7 when a/b-ing becomes more obvious. On some tracks you may turn up the volume to bring out the vocals. With that said if you have a decent DAC this is less of an issue and found P7 will scale, for example P7 responds well to clas -dB stack

May 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #252 of 546
Just want to add a noob's veiw at this point on the MK2. Now, that I have listen more and compared. I  have two other sets of headphones, a refurbished pai Harman Kardon BTs, and a new set of AKG K550..The Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 out performs the other two, even when the other two are being pushed by an amp/dac, and the Sony just on bluetooth.. The Sony's everything is better then the other two, and add comfort to boot.. However, the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 cost twice as much as the AKGs, and 3 times more then the Harman Kardons.
Don't know if the MK2 can get any better if I push it with one of the amp/dacs.. Will see..

May 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #253 of 546
  Just want to add a noob's veiw at this point on the MK2. Now, that I have listen more and compared. I  have two other sets of headphones, a refurbished pai Harman Kardon BTs, and a new set of AKG K550..The Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 out performs the other two, even when the other two are being pushed by an amp/dac, and the Sony just on bluetooth.. The Sony's everything is better then the other two, and add comfort to boot.. However, the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 cost twice as much as the AKGs, and 3 times more then the Harman Kardons.
Don't know if the MK2 can get any better if I push it with one of the amp/dacs.. Will see..

I don't have the AKG K550's but it's interesting to hear you liked the mk2's better! Would you mind doing a comparison of the two? :D

May 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #254 of 546

I don't have the AKG K550's but it's interesting to hear you liked the mk2's better! Would you mind doing a comparison of the two? :D

Already did, a couple times. One right after another.  Point is, I am a newbie, and I don't have golden ears. But, with my limited hearing senses, the Sony put distance on the AKG K550 and the Harman Karman BT. Also, it did it un-amped and on bluetooth, while the AKG K550 and Harman Kardon BT were wired and running on amp/dacs..

The Sony had more bass, more separation, more detail, the highs and mids were more clearer too...

However, as I noted, one must take price into consideration too..The Sony cost 2 to 3 times as much the other two headphones. This outcome was expected. However, I did not think it would be able to do it while on bluetooth..

May 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #255 of 546
So, the MK2 are not available where I live (to my knowledge at least) but do they actually sound any different than the normal 1R? I remember reading this thread before and never really got a complete answer to that question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back