Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Mar 18, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #212 of 546
I bought those as well and just love them. In addition to the great sound, I'm free.

You rascal!! 
biggrin.gif

From what I have I am hearing through my own ears, these MK2s are better then the good-for-the-money Sony MDR 10RBTs.
Also, for the fun of comparison, Harmon Kardon have their BT-Z model refurbished for $97 with free shipping. they are over the ear and have apt-x..I ordered a pair of them. If they turn out to be equal or close, I will keep them. Plus, all this is improving my learning/listening curve with headphones.. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #213 of 546
I bought a pair of MDR-1RMK2's and overall I was disappointed in the build quality and overall quality control. Therefore I returned my pair after many replacements hopping that I'd get a good pair and I eventually got a refund.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #214 of 546
  I bought a pair of MDR-1RMK2's and overall I was disappointed in the build quality and overall quality control. Therefore I returned my pair after many replacements hopping that I'd get a good pair and I eventually got a refund.

My MDR 1RBTMK2 are about 2 to 3 days old. To me, and I am admit I am a novice, they have been right on the money for me. For the build quality, I don't know what to say on that, they look good, they are very comfortable on my head. It could be that I have not had any other good quality headphones to compare them with. It seems like your disdain was with the build and quality control, you don't mention anything about sound. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #215 of 546
To me, the build quality seems quite good. Sturdy, but light in weight for a comfortable ride. Have both the Bluetooth and the noise cancellation versions, both MK2'S. Great solid sound with no harshness. My reference is my Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV headphones.

Took the NC phones on heir first plane ride a few days ago and was amazed by amount of noise reduction having sitted myself over the wings near the engines. Estimate at 18 db noise reduction.

Enjoyed two videos, Chris Botti's "Live with Orchestra and Special Guests" and Diana Krall's "Live in Rio."

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #216 of 546
These phones are solid. They are big enough to be full-size for my ears. Unlike many others they do not exhibit electronic noise either. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #217 of 546
To me, the build quality seems quite good. Sturdy, but light in weight for a comfortable ride. Have both the Bluetooth and the noise cancellation versions, both MK2'S. Great solid sound with no harshness. My reference is my Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV headphones.

Took the NC phones on heir first plane ride a few days ago and was amazed by amount of noise reduction having sitted myself over the wings near the engines. Estimate at 18 db noise reduction.

Enjoyed two videos, Chris Botti's "Live with Orchestra and Special Guests" and Diana Krall's "Live in Rio."

Tell me life isn't sweet!!
cool.gif

Thanks to you, right now, I am listening to Chris Botti "When I Fall In Love".... OMG!!!!
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #220 of 546
  My MDR 1RBTMK2 are about 2 to 3 days old. To me, and I am admit I am a novice, they have been right on the money for me. For the build quality, I don't know what to say on that, they look good, they are very comfortable on my head. It could be that I have not had any other good quality headphones to compare them with. It seems like your disdain was with the build and quality control, you don't mention anything about sound. 

sound quality to me was good and I've never owned more than 2 pairs of headphones, I have nothing bad to say about the sound other than for the music I listen to its a bit on the slow side.
It's remarkably comfortable, I give it that..However every pair I received had little imperfections that shouldn't be there for a $300 can. For some people you won't be able to notice it but for someone who expects every cent for how much these headphones cost, you may be disappointed. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #221 of 546
sound quality to me was good and I've never owned more than 2 pairs of headphones, I have nothing bad to say about the sound other than for the music I listen to its a bit on the slow side.
It's remarkably comfortable, I give it that..However every pair I received had little imperfections that shouldn't be there for a $300 can. For some people you won't be able to notice it but for someone who expects every cent for how much these headphones cost, you may be disappointed. 

Since I live in the USA, the MK2 version is not available. So the return for me would be a long drawn out affair of sending it back to the overseas vendor and they in turn would send it back to Sony in Japan. However I have been fortunate that my Sony MDR -1RBTMK2 are perfect in every way. I am with you as these are only the 3rd pair of headphones I have owned. The sound is awesome with the apt-X Bluetooth and the wired connection. In addition, I got a knock out price on these too.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #222 of 546
Recently got myself a set of MDR-1RNC MK2's for $460 here in Australia and they are fairly good, but they aren't worth their price. The sound quality is very good in the mids and highs, very crisp and clear (with NC on). However the bass and sub bass are both lacking. They are there, but they are not impressive at all and have no impact, which is surprising to me as they have 50mm drivers, so bass should be fairly good. Nowhere near as good in bass as the 1R-MK2. When the noise cancelling is off, the sound is just wrong, the clarity just disappears, making vocals sound horrible, so I just keep noise cancelling on to avoid it.

Noise cancelling is quite good, blocks out most ambient noise and helps keep my daily commutes quieter.

I quite like the build quality as it is a step up from the 1R-MK2 and 1RBT-MK2, with less plastic and more metal used. The cable is nice and thick, feels quite sturdy and because I don't live in a cold climate, I don't need to worry about cable stiffening in cold weather. The headphones are fairly comfortable, the headband disappears on my head after a short while, but they aren't as comfortable as the 1R-MK2 and 1RBT-MK2.

Overall, the 1RNC-MK2 is a good headphone, but not worth the price. My advice if you do go and buy a pair, keep the noise cancelling on.

Update on the MDR-1RNC MK2's: I've found that as I use these headphones more, the bass response seems to be getting better with noise cancelling on and the clarity with noise cancelling is getting better. The best thing about these headphones, apart from NC, is that I basically have 2 headphones in one. Whenever I want a lot of bass, I just turn off noise cancelling & when I want better mids and trebles, I just turn NC on. I'm starting to think they are worth the money I spent after all.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #223 of 546
Hi guys, i am new here =) 

im just wondering can anyone tell me about the sound quality between mdr1rncmk2 and mdr1rbtmk2? I am aware that nc will be better in loud enviroment and bluetooth quality might not be as good, but if its wired, is it almost the same?
I am still deciding which one to get, as i like the portability with bluetooth but im stuck because i can get the noise cancelling one for $330AUD and the bluetooth one for $315AUD...

Thanks 

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #224 of 546
Where did you manage to find them that cheap?! Also I'd say it depends on if you commute a lot. If you do, the NC's are better for you, but the Bluetooth are much better for home listening because you can walk throughout a bit of your house (depending on house size) and not worry about wires. They don't sound that similar when wired, the NC's have more bass than the BT's (when NC is off), but have less bass when the NC is on. The clarity is much better when the NC is on though.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #225 of 546
I will most likely be using them when i go out, but are they both the same size? I know that the noise cancelling one is heavier weighing 330g than 297g. I found the bluetooth one here 

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/sony-mdr1rbtmk2-wireless-bluetooth-headphones-with-nfc/?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=headphones&utm_content=MDR1RBTMK2

and some guy on the net is selling the noise cancelling one brand new with tax invoice and warranty so not on a website.

Thanks so much for your advices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back