Sony MDR-1R series MK2
Feb 7, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #196 of 546
  Just ordered a pair of 1r but not yet arrive. Does it worth returning the 1R/cancelling the purchase and go for the 1RMKII?

if you bought it for around $200 or under I think it's a steal, there's no incredible difference with the two for me to recommend you to get the MK2's. It just depends whether you are one of those people who like to have the newest and latest of everything or you don't mind saving a free bucks. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #197 of 546
  if you bought it for around $200 or under I think it's a steal, there's no incredible difference with the two for me to recommend you to get the MK2's. It just depends whether you are one of those people who like to have the newest and latest of everything or you don't mind saving a free bucks. 

I wish I can get it for $200... I am currently living in the UK and you cannot get it for under £160 here unless you buy a second-handed pair. The 1R is selling for £170 on Amazon UK which is almost $280.
Almost every headphones in the UK are like at least 40% more expensive than in the rest of the world.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #198 of 546
ouch, and I'm guessing $280 is in US dollars so even more expensive in AU dollars (which is where I come from) So now that I'm aware of that how much more expensive is the MK2's?

I'm not sure whether Sony still looks after owners of the original 1R's in terms of warranty related issues but at least with the MK2's you know that if something goes wrong with the headphones, Sony can look after you. which I can say they do look after you becasue I received a pair with defects and there sending me out a new pair.

I think they are a superb good rounder headphone, I just wish I had more uses for them, they are a portable headphone but I haven't yet had the stomach to wear them outside becasue I've never worn headphones outside before.

there are some things I want to caution you about if you are a perfectionist like me and that is that the material on the sony earcups (where it says "sony") is a different material than the area around the earcup, I'm saying this because it's more of a rubbery material to the touch so it's easier to pick up marks but at least it's not that easily noticed and need to be seen at the right angle.

Plus with every black pair Iv'e received anyways they've had small imperfections such has the chrome just below the "MDR-1R" labeling on the hinge in the exact middle where you turn the ear cups, it isn't fully filled in. I've also noticed that in the right earcup you can see a red accent around the inside if you lift up the ear cushion but i think it's a way for sony to differentiate left from right when constructing it together becasue it's always been the right earcup, not the left.

Lastly there might be random little imperfections which suck but if you do come across any of these things with a black pair, I can assure you every pair has similar imperfections to some degree, unless your a lucky person.

P.S that really sucks, I was lucky to be able to steal a pair of MK2's off a Sony Boxing day sale for AU$224.96 at the last second (literally)

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #199 of 546
ouch, and I'm guessing $280 is in US dollars so even more expensive in AU dollars (which is where I come from) So now that I'm aware of that how much more expensive is the MK2's?

I'm not sure whether Sony still looks after owners of the original 1R's in terms of warranty related issues but at least with the MK2's you know that if something goes wrong with the headphones, Sony can look after you. which I can say they do look after you becasue I received a pair with defects and there sending me out a new pair.

I think they are a superb good rounder headphone, I just wish I had more uses for them, they are a portable headphone but I haven't yet had the stomach to wear them outside becasue I've never worn headphones outside before.

there are some things I want to caution you about if you are a perfectionist like me and that is that the material on the sony earcups (where it says "sony") is a different material than the area around the earcup, I'm saying this because it's more of a rubbery material to the touch so it's easier to pick up marks but at least it's not that easily noticed and need to be seen at the right angle.

Plus with every black pair Iv'e received anyways they've had small imperfections such has the chrome just below the "MDR-1R" labeling on the hinge in the exact middle where you turn the ear cups, it isn't fully filled in. I've also noticed that in the right earcup you can see a red accent around the inside if you lift up the ear cushion but i think it's a way for sony to differentiate left from right when constructing it together becasue it's always been the right earcup, not the left.

Lastly there might be random little imperfections which suck but if you do come across any of these things with a black pair, I can assure you every pair has similar imperfections to some degree, unless your a lucky person.

P.S that really sucks, I was lucky to be able to steal a pair of MK2's off a Sony Boxing day sale for AU$224.96 at the last second (literally)

Yes it was in US dollar.
Just searched in Amazon UK, there was only one seller selling the MK2 at £177.3 and it was dispatched from Hong Kong... Well I am from Hong Kong actually so I rather buy the MK2 when I go back to HK in the summer lol. The 1RMK2 is selling for HK$1730 in HK which is US$223.

One of my friends has a pair of black 1R (not MK2) and the left headband adjustment of his pair is quite loose when he got it. He was like "Well I will just deal with it" but one day when he was wearing it outdoor, it suddenly rained (the 'good' weather in the UK...) and rain water went into the ear cup through the vent hole... He is now sending it back to Amazon and asking for a new pair.
I am not sure about how is it in Australia or in the US, but in the UK I will only wear in-ears outdoor. I don't want my cans get screwed up by the rain.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #200 of 546
wow, that's very unlucky for your friend, at least his getting it sorted out. I wouldn't be able to deal with that issue :/

I would of bought a brown/silver pair but there not available here in Australia (which is weird because the 1R version was) so I chose to get the black pair because the warranty has always been handy for me.

Yeah, I also personally think you should return the 1R's and wait till you move back home to HK to buy the MK2's also smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, here in Australia it's at the end of summer and soon to be winter (yay, I hate the heat) but the weather over here can be unpredictable at times so I'd only wear headphones outside if it's not raining. I live in a country town, nothing like Sydney so I would be more noticeable wearing them around town which is why I probably won't wear them a lot out side. If I lived in Sydney no one would care what I would wear lol. these headphones would be perfect on those winter days where it's just chilly because these would keep your ear so warm.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #201 of 546
The problem is I want it now lol... When I want something it is hard for me to wait for 3,4 months...Not even 1 week lol.
Plus in the next few years I will spend most of the time in the UK for the university; if I buy the 1R(MK2) in HK and something go wrong when I am in the UK, it will be hard to get the warranty because I will have to send it back to HK.
I have already thought about the price difference between in the UK and in HK and it is still acceptable for me.
smile.gif
 I know that sounds stupid though lol.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #202 of 546
  The problem is I want it now lol... When I want something it is hard for me to wait for 3,4 months...Not even 1 week lol.
Plus in the next few years I will spend most of the time in the UK for the university; if I buy the 1R(MK2) in HK and something go wrong when I am in the UK, it will be hard to get the warranty because I will have to send it back to HK.
I have already thought about the price difference between in the UK and in HK and it is still acceptable for me.
smile.gif

I didn't know that you were going to be spending the next few year in the UK!
If your happy with spending the extra few bucks than go for it bro, it's not my money :wink:

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #203 of 546

Just bought a pair of MDR-10RNC and have to say that its a big disappointment in terms of sound quality and noise cancelling. From what I remember MDR 1-R sounded exceptional with good soundstage with decent mids and brighter highs.

Uneven mids, muddy and almost nonexistent bass(Power on)/rough and undefined bass(Power off), unclear and artificial highs(Power on)/recessed highs(Power off) and tight and confusing soundstage could choke you.

Overall utterly unimpressed.

Was expecting something nice after hearing MDR 1-R and the nice lineup of XBA series from Sony.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #204 of 546
Well looks i speak about the MDR-1rbt MK2 too soon, everything was perfect all day today listening to music at regular volume, took a break for a few hours and now powering on the bluetooth only plays one the right side only, actually the left side is without bass in my opinion because I can still hear on the left when I turn the balance but sound is very shallow. With the wire connected, sound comes out perfectly on both side.
I did the pin reset and the factory reset by holding power and phone for 7 sec to no joy. Battery indicator is not blanking blue/red to indicate low battery.
I am actually recharging all night to see if this is the cause, I will report after full charge so I can rule it out.
Any toughs on this on what this might be or should I RMA?

Thanks guys.

Hiya, was really interested in your first positive results on the MDR 1RBTMK2. Then everything went downward. You said you were going to post back after you do a full recharge. Waiting to hear the results. Getting ready to pull the trigger on the MK2s.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #205 of 546
It was a static discharge that killed the left side. I had replaced and been working great for two weeks now with no issues. Go ahead and get it, install ViPER4Android if you have android device and fire away. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #206 of 546
It was a static discharge that killed the left side. I had replaced and been working great for two weeks now with no issues. Go ahead and get it, install ViPER4Android if you have android device and fire away. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply. Your opinion of the MK2s was just what I expected from a set of quality bluetooth headphone. In addition, the cost of these, IMHO, is right in line with their performance.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #207 of 546
Recently got myself a set of MDR-1RNC MK2's for $460 here in Australia and they are fairly good, but they aren't worth their price. The sound quality is very good in the mids and highs, very crisp and clear (with NC on). However the bass and sub bass are both lacking. They are there, but they are not impressive at all and have no impact, which is surprising to me as they have 50mm drivers, so bass should be fairly good. Nowhere near as good in bass as the 1R-MK2. When the noise cancelling is off, the sound is just wrong, the clarity just disappears, making vocals sound horrible, so I just keep noise cancelling on to avoid it.

Noise cancelling is quite good, blocks out most ambient noise and helps keep my daily commutes quieter.

I quite like the build quality as it is a step up from the 1R-MK2 and 1RBT-MK2, with less plastic and more metal used. The cable is nice and thick, feels quite sturdy and because I don't live in a cold climate, I don't need to worry about cable stiffening in cold weather. The headphones are fairly comfortable, the headband disappears on my head after a short while, but they aren't as comfortable as the 1R-MK2 and 1RBT-MK2.

Overall, the 1RNC-MK2 is a good headphone, but not worth the price. My advice if you do go and buy a pair, keep the noise cancelling on.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #208 of 546
Recently got myself a set of MDR-1RNC MK2's for $460 here in Australia and they are fairly good, but they aren't worth their price. The sound quality is very good in the mids and highs, very crisp and clear (with NC on). However the bass and sub bass are both lacking. They are there, but they are not impressive at all and have no impact, which is surprising to me as they have 50mm drivers, so bass should be fairly good. Nowhere near as good in bass as the 1R-MK2. When the noise cancelling is off, the sound is just wrong, the clarity just disappears, making vocals sound horrible, so I just keep noise cancelling on to avoid it.

Noise cancelling is quite good, blocks out most ambient noise and helps keep my daily commutes quieter.

I quite like the build quality as it is a step up from the 1R-MK2 and 1RBT-MK2, with less plastic and more metal used. The cable is nice and thick, feels quite sturdy and because I don't live in a cold climate, I don't need to worry about cable stiffening in cold weather. The headphones are fairly comfortable, the headband disappears on my head after a short while, but they aren't as comfortable as the 1R-MK2 and 1RBT-MK2.

Overall, the 1RNC-MK2 is a good headphone, but not worth the price. My advice if you do go and buy a pair, keep the noise cancelling on.

First off that price would have been a game-changer for me. I paid $309.95 USD that is a long shot from $460.  I have the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2. Only had them for one day, and the only headsets can compare them with are the Bluedio and the Sony MDR 10RBT, which these soundly sound better to me. I am interested in Bluetooth with aptx all the way.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #209 of 546
Don,t expect any noise cancellation headphones to have a good low frequency response when in use.

The way these phones work is take a sampling of the outside noise field compared to the inside to determine a level and amount of frequency attenuation with no music source. This will serve to predict the reverse phase signal to inject into the headphone speaker to cancel the noise.

But, when in use the external microphone not only hears the external noise field, it will also hear some of the music that leaks out either directly around the ear cups or indirectly transmitted through the headphone body. In both cases, the signals high frequencies will have been attenuated and the external mike will in addition to the noise field, also hear a very low frequency version of the music.

These two signal are unseperable and will be processed as noise to be injected into the headphone diver with opposite phase. The low frequency music "noise" of opposite phase will thus attenuate the low frequencies.

If a way could be found to eliminate the leakage of the music field to the outside microphone, then the perfect noise cancellaion headphones could be created.

The need for the larger drivers is to be able to recreate the low frequency of, say the roar of a jet engine.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #210 of 546
Don,t expect any noise cancellation headphones to have a good low frequency response when in use.

The way these phones work is take a sampling of the outside noise field compared to the inside to determine a level and amount of frequency attenuation with no music source. This will serve to predict the reverse phase signal to inject into the headphone speaker to cancel the noise.

But, when in use the external microphone not only hears the external noise field, it will also hear some of the music that leaks out either directly around the ear cups or indirectly transmitted through the headphone body. In both cases, the signals high frequencies will have been attenuated and the external mike will in addition to the noise field, also hear a very low frequency version of the music.

These two signal are unseperable and will be processed as noise to be injected into the headphone diver with opposite phase. The low frequency music "noise" of opposite phase will thus attenuate the low frequencies.

If a way could be found to eliminate the leakage of the music field to the outside microphone, then the perfect noise cancellaion headphones could be created.

The need for the larger drivers is to be able to recreate the low frequency of, say the roar of a jet engine.

I didn't get the Noise Cancelling version, I got the bluetooth IMPROVED version. Sony MDR 1RBTMK2 Big difference.. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back