Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #781 of 1,177
Does anyone have any experience with the mdr1am2 and the Meze 99 I’m trying to decide between the two thanx!
Meze 99 Classic or Meze 99 Neo?

I have not tried the Classic, but I'd take the 1AM2 over the Neo all day long. The Neo are much warmer, bass is not as defined, and they sound a little muffled compared to the 1AM2.

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #782 of 1,177
Meze 99 Classic or Meze 99 Neo?

I have not tried the Classic, but I'd take the 1AM2 over the Neo all day long. The Neo are much warmer, bass is not as defined, and they sound a little muffled compared to the 1AM2.
I would have said the same thing about the Classic - and the Neo is supposedly a tad sharper than the Classic, which can really descend into a sirupy mess sometimes.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #783 of 1,177
Are there any headphones that sound similar to these? I bought a refurbished pair and loved their sound more than anything I'd heard before, but I found the pads to be far too small for my ears. I imagine that some of the more expensive Sony offerings would do the trick but they're out of my budget.... Are there any older Sony models that may use similar tech (the Mdr-1A look to be about the same size sadly).

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #784 of 1,177
Are there any headphones that sound similar to these? I bought a refurbished pair and loved their sound more than anything I'd heard before, but I found the pads to be far too small for my ears. I imagine that some of the more expensive Sony offerings would do the trick but they're out of my budget.... Are there any older Sony models that may use similar tech (the Mdr-1A look to be about the same size sadly).
You could always give the Takstar Pro 82 a shot. They have a similar design, but have larger earpads and are very comfortable. Build quality is good, but it doesn't feel quite as nice as the Sony. They are a little sharper in the treble region, but they EQ very well AND you can add some tuning foam if you want. I can't remember if it came with tuning foam, but it may have. The aluminum case it comes with is killer. Personally, I added some tuning foam and upgraded the earpads with the Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin Oval earpads.

May 6, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #785 of 1,177
Hey everyone! I just did a review for my Sony MDR-1AM2 if you're interested :) I got these in Japan!
Review can be found here.
photo_2020-05-06 19.41.16.jpeg

May 12, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #787 of 1,177
Hey everyone! I just did a review for my Sony MDR-1AM2 if you're interested :) I got these in Japan!
Review can be found here.

Do you tested the balance cable as well!?
Wondering if its really works since its not dual entry, usually balance connection comes with dual entry input, if its really works how come sony can do the balance with just single port connection?

May 16, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #788 of 1,177
Wondering if its really works since its not dual entry, usually balance connection comes with dual entry input, if its really works how come sony can do the balance with just single port connection?
You don't need dual entry. It's a 4 connector mini jack that plugs into the headphones. So, with 2nd cable included this makes them totally balanced.

May 16, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #789 of 1,177
The balanced works nicely with the ZX300's balanced output. You are right! It does not have a dual entry input. But the 4.4mm balanced cable contains an additional ground connection that the regular 3.5mm single-ended cable doesn't have to "reduce cross talk and increase audio efficiency".
Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 7.27.30 PM.png

I sourced this image and information directly from Sony's website :)

May 19, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #791 of 1,177
Got my mdr1am2's earlier this week (for just $150!) and I'm quite happy! Too warm in the bass region and less spacious than I'm used to, but it's forgivable and their sound is really fun and surprisingly detailed for how relaxed they are. Highlight for me is definitely comfort since my other cans are Audeze's. I think these are 1/3 the weight. My neck is happy.

I was hoping you guys could share your EQ settings if you're using any :) I think a little eq'ing could really make these sing.

May 19, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #793 of 1,177
I decided to give my old Sony ZX2 a try out with my MDR-1AM2's ( TRRS cable. ) and it sounds SO, SO GOOD !! It's always been a great DAP, but can't recall it sounding this good before ??
The mind is a funny thing! If you listen to average SQ for a given period of time, your brain will begin to create a new baseline, so it'll sound "good" after a while. It's only until you re-expose yourself to great sound that you realize you been living in a box.

May 19, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #794 of 1,177
The mind is a funny thing! If you listen to average SQ for a given period of time, your brain will begin to create a new baseline, so it'll sound "good" after a while. It's only until you re-expose yourself to great sound that you realize you been living in a box.

I don't think i've been "living in a box" ?? Perhaps i have ! :slight_smile: but it's a joy to discover this, so much so, i've not been using my MDR-Z1R's much these last few days....i think the 1AM2's are exceptional value and a lot of fun !

May 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #795 of 1,177
Hi guys. Has anyone compared these to the MDR-Z1R? I compared them using my Sony WM1A and came away impressed with how wonderful the 1AM2 turned out to be in sound quality. It was really close to the Z1R that I decided to go for these special gem as it is so light weight and easy to listen to. Only problem is the noise isolation isn’t great, but that’s what I use my WH-1000XM3 for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back