Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #676 of 1,177
Where can I find the Fiio 2.5mm trrs male balanced to 4.4mm female adapter? There are 4 versions of this adapter. Penon has all but the one I need (maybe they sold out). I found one on ebay, but they want 20 bucks to ship.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #677 of 1,177
Hi @imako,

I would suggest using the other cable terminated in 4.4mm which comes with the 1AM2 as your NW A50, as a Sony product has the 4.4 mm socket so just use that cable instead.
However, if you insist on using a 3.5 mm jack, I suggest getting a 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm unbalanced adapter from penon-official.com to use with the other cable.

Hope you have a great day !
Insist or not, the A50 only has a 3.5mm jack output. It’s what makes it by and large unusable - it’s like the kid with asthma who can’t blow out the candle on his birthday cake in a terrible movie.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #679 of 1,177
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately my player only has a 3.5mm socket and I don't really like the idea of using an adapter.

@imako,

No problem but just curious, what's wrong with an adapter, not any different to using a reterminated or alternative cable...unless you're worried about disconnects which is highly unlikely unless you deliberately pull at the plug.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #680 of 1,177
@imako,

No problem but just curious, what's wrong with an adapter, not any different to using a reterminated or alternative cable...unless you're worried about disconnects which is highly unlikely unless you deliberately pull at the plug.

For me it's more pocket change, another piece to carry around - another piece to connect. These are portable headphone after all. I'd much rather use a straight, single cable.

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #681 of 1,177
For me it's more pocket change, another piece to carry around - another piece to connect. These are portable headphone after all. I'd much rather use a straight, single cable.

Fair enough....

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #683 of 1,177
Can anyone confirm if this cable should work with the mdr-1am2? I'm assuming so, but would like to be certain. Thx
Screenshot_20200120-142505.png
Screenshot_20200120-142527.png

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #684 of 1,177
I think I got this figured out, but please correct me if I am wrong. For these headphones to be used balanced, the cable has to be 4 pole trrs on both the headphone end, and the source end, correct?

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #685 of 1,177
I think I got this figured out, but please correct me if I am wrong. For these headphones to be used balanced, the cable has to be 4 pole trrs on both the headphone end, and the source end, correct?

Hi @Mhog55,

You almost got it...
Balanced cables generally have 3 poles, not 4 poles.
In other words, make sure the actual plug has only 3 rings.
The 4th pole is usually for the microphone signal &/or extra power from the amp circuit.

The only difference to this is some dual plugs will have only 2 poles for Stereo on each side & not Mono.
Generally, it also depends how a cable & plug is wired together internally, I have seen Stereo & Mono plugs become vice versa due to, let's just say, interesting wiring techniques though if done correctly & depending on the plug, a Stereo Plug, like 3.5 mm can be Balanced if there is enough space for an extra ground...
Most if not all TRRS 6.3 are generally Stereo with 2 pole though they all it balanced.
Standard TRS is just Mono so all the terminations can be confusing at times.

The last thing is as long as there is no microphone built in & you can hear sound from both left & right, then yes, it should work fine.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #686 of 1,177
Hi @Mhog55,

You almost got it...
Balanced cables generally have 3 poles, not 4 poles.
In other words, make sure the actual plug has only 3 rings.
The 4th pole is usually for the microphone signal &/or extra power from the amp circuit.

The only difference to this is some dual plugs will have only 2 poles for Stereo on each side & not Mono.
Generally, it also depends how a cable & plug is wired together internally, I have seen Stereo & Mono plugs become vice versa due to, let's just say, interesting wiring techniques though if done correctly & depending on the plug, a Stereo Plug, like 3.5 mm can be Balanced if there is enough space for an extra ground...
Most if not all TRRS 6.3 are generally Stereo with 2 pole though they all it balanced.
Standard TRS is just Mono so all the terminations can be confusing at times.

The last thing is as long as there is no microphone built in & you can hear sound from both left & right, then yes, it should work fine.

i thought the 4th ring was for ground? the 4.4mm is TRRRS
upload_2020-1-21_18-24-23.png

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #687 of 1,177
Hi. I've got a new pair of these headphones because of the accident I had with the first ones. Those first one had almost a year and a half of daily use (30 mins) so I would like to know any advice for a quicker burn in? Is there a video on YouTube, for example, that I can play and leave my headphones all day "burning in"? Thank you!

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #689 of 1,177
Been trying all of the newer Bluetooth headphones and I always go back to wanting a nice and affordable wired headphone that is ultra comfortable for my weirdly shaped head and ears. I LOVED the 1A and was looking for something more updated. Came across the 1AM2 and immediately bought a pair. Exactly what I was looking for. Still ultra comfortable, ridiculously light and sound great. I listen to mostly hip hop and southern rock so they fit those genres perfectly. Yes, a little bass heavy at times - but the clarity in the mids and highs differentiate them from my memory of the original 1A.

I love the sound of the B&O H6, but the comfort on those isn't even in the same league as these. Tho they are built a bit better with nicer lambskin earpads and metal construction. That said, the build quality of the 1AM2 is very good for a majority plastic headphone. Definitely satisfied, even at the $250 price. Wish they were $199, but the comfort alone makes them worth it.
Are you saying that these sound as satisfactory to you as the H6? I really like the H6, and would like to find something similar.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #690 of 1,177
Are you saying that these sound as satisfactory to you as the H6? I really like the H6, and would like to find something similar.

Yes, for sure. I have since tried a few more of the newer headphones, bluetooth versions mostly, and I always come back to the Sony’s. I really don’t have any complaints outside of the semi-cheap feel of them compared to other 250+ dollar headphones. The fact that these can be had for around 175 now brand new makes them almost impossible to resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back