Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #646 of 1,177
Hi @faivecr,

Subjectively & personally, 1AM2 would still be what I suggest & recommend for your needs, hard to go wrong with that.

While I haven't heard the Z7M, I have demo the Z7M2, honestly, as far as overall sound quality is concerned, I just stick with 1AM2.

Hope you have a great day !

Thank you very much for your answer. I was a expecting that kind of answer as the 1AM2 are such great headphones. One last question: I've read great reviews about Sony's WH-1000XM3 headphones. I know those are wireless but could it be that they could sound better than the 1AM2 given my listening habits? CNET actually says that Sony told them that the 1000XM3 got the same drivers as the 1AM2...

Best regards,

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #647 of 1,177
Thank you very much for your answer. I was a expecting that kind of answer as the 1AM2 are such great headphones. One last question: I've read great reviews about Sony's WH-1000XM3 headphones. I know those are wireless but could it be that they could sound better than the 1AM2 given my listening habits?

Best regards,

I have the WH-H900N which sounds very close to the XM3(some say even better), titanium coated driver instead of aluminium in the XM3/1AM2. It's great on the go, it's fantastic to don't have cables, and it sounds really impressive. ANC is also great, it can't handle wind but motor and tyres are totally cancelled out.

For critical listening, and for scaling with amping, 1AM2 is a notch more refined. And lighter and more comfortable. But for only using on the go, I would choose BT-cans, which I have done.

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #648 of 1,177
I have both 1am2 and wh-1000xm3.

Although both have the same 40mm aluminum coated LCP drivers, the 1am2 is significantly better as serious audiophile headphones. The 1000xm3 has less microdetail on both wired and wireless mode. For causal listening, the xm3 is decent. But if you pair to a good digital audio player like the zx507, the 1am2 on balanced performs way beyond xm3 by a significant level.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #649 of 1,177
And to add, even compared to the higher tier Z7M2, I like the 1AM2 more because the sound signature of 1AM2 is better as the mid bass is more punchy and the lower treble isn't as dark as the Z7M2.

I think the 1AM2 along with the older 1A is Sony best headphones when it comes to price to performance ratio.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #650 of 1,177
And to add, even compared to the higher tier Z7M2, I like the 1AM2 more because the sound signature of 1AM2 is better as the mid bass is more punchy and the lower treble isn't as dark as the Z7M2.

I think the 1AM2 along with the older 1A is Sony best headphones when it comes to price to performance ratio.

They really sound fantastic good, on all types of music, the light weight and high comfort seals the deal. Couldn't be happier. They have the exact signature I was looking for, the tonality of HD600 but with even higher resolution and smoothness. A lot cheaper than a pair of HD800s for achieveing about the same thing.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #651 of 1,177
Agree, the 1AM2 are fantastic... I also happen to have the WHH900N and the 1AM2 are much better.. BT noise cancelling cans are great for commuting but when it comes to quality you can’t beat the good ol’ cable..

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #652 of 1,177
Hello. I used to change headphones twice a year, always looking for the "better sound". Since I bought these headphones I just stopped doing that because I thought they sound perfect for my listening, being all from my iPhone with Spotify at BEST and Tidal at MASTER/HI FI. Unfortunately, last week while playing with my daughter I accidentally seated on my headphone and broke them. Before buying them again, for my hardware listening (no amp), is there a BETTER option, better meaning the same timbre/voice/sound of these headphones bust just better without needing external amplification? Thank you very much for your insight!

P.S. I bought some years ago the Sony MDR-Z7M but the sound didn't impressed me and I returned them. I see now there is a M2 version. Does this version provides a different sound signature? Thank you.
When you find a headphone that really floats your boat, might as well stick with it. The search for your better can take quite some time, and is often not found. That's how I feel about my 99 Classics.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #653 of 1,177
Instead of seeking a better headphones than the MDR-1AM2, I think the best upgrade you should consider is a Sony walkman with balanced output like the ZX507. The MDR-1AM2 paired to ZX507(with DSEE HX AI, Type A STD, High Gain) in balanced cable delivers deep(rumbling bass) and impactful drums and extremely hard hitting cymbals crashes along with clear holographic like intimate vocals, while still having silky smooth treble. The Synergy between this headphone and walkman is really outstanding. This combo is a must try for those seeking a headphone+dap combo that can deliver true live like rock & roll performance.

You require 250hours burn-in on the ZX507 as well as at least 100hours of loud burn-in on the 1AM2 to achieve what I mention above.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #654 of 1,177
Instead of seeking a better headphones than the MDR-1AM2, I think the best upgrade you should consider is a Sony walkman with balanced output like the ZX507. The MDR-1AM2 paired to ZX507(with DSEE HX AI, Type A STD, High Gain) in balanced cable delivers deep(rumbling bass) and impactful drums and extremely hard hitting cymbals crashes along with clear holographic like intimate vocals, while still having silky smooth treble. The Synergy between this headphone and walkman is really outstanding. This combo is a must try for those seeking a headphone+dap combo that can deliver true live like rock & roll performance.

You require 250hours burn-in on the ZX507 as well as at least 100hours of loud burn-in on the 1AM2 to achieve what I mention above.

best way to burn in the 1am2? Thanks

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #656 of 1,177
Thank you very much for your answer. I was a expecting that kind of answer as the 1AM2 are such great headphones. One last question: I've read great reviews about Sony's WH-1000XM3 headphones. I know those are wireless but could it be that they could sound better than the 1AM2 given my listening habits? CNET actually says that Sony told them that the 1000XM3 got the same drivers as the 1AM2...

Best regards,

Hi @faivecr,

Other than 1AM2, I only have the WH 1000 XM2 so can't say much about actual driver specs or config for the M3 but I have demo the M3 extensively & while it is good aside from a bit more overall bass, I didn't see any need to get the M3 so that may be your answer.
Budget permitting, I may swing for the M4 when it finally comes out but I have to see.
The best thing to do is verify what the official Sony pages say...
Subjectively & personally, if given a choice for overall SQ, features aside, I rather the 1AM2 or the 1000 XM3 but it will depend on your mileage.
As a side note, CNET are almost as bad as WhatHiFi for reviewing things though to be far it has been a long time since I watched or read either reviews.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #657 of 1,177
Having had the MDR-1AM2 for a few days now, I can say I am nothing but happy.

It does everything I throw at it, from thrash metal to japanese art music. What's very interesting is how loud it can play without sounding congested but still clean and each instrument separated, even the deep bass can play extreme loud without loosing definition. Also, the slightly overblown bass and high resolution makes these very well suited for low listening levels.

But, it's hard to not go loud, because it sounds good all the time. That's a testament to the very low distorsion. It's hard to understand how loud it is. Nothing is sibilant, nothing is harsh. These cans are fast, and powerful, hard to believe considering their small size and light weight.

As a active musician myself(electric lead guitar/classic 70/80s rock coverband using mostly Marshall 4x12s and/or Helix) it is very interesting to play Youtube videos recorded live in diverse studios, the instruments usually sounds very much like I remember ours from rehearsing and playing live. In example, listening to a closeup of a drummer showing off, it sounds much like when standing beside our drummer IRL. Impressive.

Recorded/Mastered music isn't the same thing, as it can be mixed/mastered to sound like pretty much anything, not doing well as a "real life" reference. Recorded/Mastered can sometimes sound the best on gear which is far from audiophile levels. These Sonys are much on the audiophile/live reference side of the spectrum, exactly like Sennheiser HD600 is.

edit. Oh, I forgot, electric guitars(well acoustic too) sounds perfect heavy distorsion or clean. The "hardest guitarsound" for a can to sound good on is distorted guitars, these cans do it, all kinds of distorsion sounds just great.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #658 of 1,177
They really sound fantastic good, on all types of music, the light weight and high comfort seals the deal. Couldn't be happier. They have the exact signature I was looking for, the tonality of HD600 but with even higher resolution and smoothness. A lot cheaper than a pair of HD800s for achieving about the same thing.

That's quite impressive I agree. I was looking for "better" headphones than my 1AM2 and really thought I could find those better ones at Sennheiser but no headphone of their have I read it's actually better. Of course, I wonder how good the most expensive HD 800S could sound but it's reassuring to know, now that I've read you, that the difference is not night and day when using only a smartphone as the source.

I don't know why RTINGS hasn't reviewed the 1AM2 headphones and even though I respect them, I really don't know why they praise so much the sound of Bose QC35 and QC25?!

Thank you!!

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #659 of 1,177
that the difference is not night and day when using only a smartphone as the source.

Well, but not using the smartphone output even from the highly rated LG G7. These do sound much better with a amp. Granted, even the very cheap and old Topping NX1 enhances the sound a lot. And Presonus HP4 has much better mid/treble than the Topping NX1. I suspect these will continue to scale with better gear.

I don't know why RTINGS hasn't reviewed the 1AM2 headphones and even though I respect them, I really don't know why they praise so much the sound of Bose QC35 and QC25?!

Thank you!!

I guess Bose has a great marketing team!

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #660 of 1,177
Having had the MDR-1AM2 for a few days now, I can say I am nothing but happy.

It does everything I throw at it, from thrash metal to japanese art music. What's very interesting is how loud it can play without sounding congested but still clean and each instrument separated, even the deep bass can play extreme loud without loosing definition. Also, the slightly overblown bass and high resolution makes these very well suited for low listening levels.

But, it's hard to not go loud, because it sounds good all the time. That's a testament to the very low distorsion. It's hard to understand how loud it is. Nothing is sibilant, nothing is harsh. These cans are fast, and powerful, hard to believe considering their small size and light weight.

As a active musician myself(electric lead guitar/classic 70/80s rock coverband using mostly Marshall 4x12s and/or Helix) it is very interesting to play Youtube videos recorded live in diverse studios, the instruments usually sounds very much like I remember ours from rehearsing and playing live. In example, listening to a closeup of a drummer showing off, it sounds much like when standing beside our drummer IRL. Impressive.

Recorded/Mastered music isn't the same thing, as it can be mixed/mastered to sound like pretty much anything, not doing well as a "real life" reference. Recorded/Mastered can sometimes sound the best on gear which is far from audiophile levels. These Sonys are much on the audiophile/live reference side of the spectrum, exactly like Sennheiser HD600 is.

edit. Oh, I forgot, electric guitars(well acoustic too) sounds perfect heavy distorsion or clean. The "hardest guitarsound" for a can to sound good on is distorted guitars, these cans do it, all kinds of distorsion sounds just great.

@xeizo,

Good impressions, be interested to how you find & hear how you find things long term.
Just as a side note, as far as I'm aware, the 1AM2 is a prosumer version of MDR 7506 so it has an interesting pedigree.
As stated in several previous posts, this is among my top reference headphones, really hard to put down when I use them.

Hope you have a continued great experience.

Have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back