Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
May 1, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #181 of 1,177
Are you in India?

I dont think these are available here, just yet. Will have to be imported.

As for your question, I have heard mdr 1a and 100aap. Difference is significant. Especially in soundstage. Mdr 1a has a coherent well formed image, unlike 100aap that has weak center image. 100aap more like warmish neutral signature while mdr 1a have big, kinda bloated bass depending on what you drive it with.

Why dont you join headphonezone audiophile community page on Facebook. We have around 3k members. All headphone enthusiasts from India.

I am already a member in headphone zone Facebook group.

Last week I was in Singapore and have purchased MDR 1am2 at full retail price( Sony store, orchard road). I got 24 SGD gst cash refund at changi airport. This model was also available at Sony store duty free at the airport.

I came back only yesterday, so not heard it much. But comfort is superb. Next week I can give clear picture about the headphone.

May 1, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #182 of 1,177
I am already a member in headphone zone Facebook group.

Last week I was in Singapore and have purchased MDR 1am2 at full retail price( Sony store, orchard road). I got 24 SGD gst cash refund at changi airport. This model was also available at Sony store duty free at the airport.

I came back only yesterday, so not heard it much. But comfort is superb. Next week I can give clear picture about the headphone.
Looking forward to your impressions.

May 1, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #185 of 1,177
Well jeah basically every earpad works :p Just stretch a different over the rings.
Does it attach to the plastic ring like the 1A or does it just fit within the groove like the 1ABT?

I'm curious as to the sonic characteristics of the 1A with the newer 1AM2 ear pads and if it's worth the "upgrade" to the new headphone or if just changing out the ear pads would achieve a similar result.

I love the construction of the 1A (metal ear cup housing, sliders, etc.) and am a little weary of the primarily plastic construction of the 1AM2.

May 2, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #187 of 1,177
Does it attach to the plastic ring like the 1A or does it just fit within the groove like the 1ABT?

I'm curious as to the sonic characteristics of the 1A with the newer 1AM2 ear pads and if it's worth the "upgrade" to the new headphone or if just changing out the ear pads would achieve a similar result.

I love the construction of the 1A (metal ear cup housing, sliders, etc.) and am a little weary of the primarily plastic construction of the 1AM2.
Well I dont know how people can think that just the earpad changes things so drastically. The new 1Am2 uses a completely different driver and sounds nothing like the 1A. People reporting on different things either didnt listen to the new one or have a hearing problem in highs. The headphone just uses the same material for the driver, the rest is completely changed. Yes the bass can seem similar, but the mids and especially the highs are like not even close.
sliders is metal and earcup shell too.
To be exact the earcup is magnesium with plastic coating and the bigger part is plastic with fake leather on it.

May 2, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #188 of 1,177
There is not that much of a difference in Mids and Highs IMO and my hearing is very good, not even close is an exaggeration but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Purchase and make sure you keep your receipts if you are not blown away with the difference, I spent hours switching between both units playing the same sources at different volumes. Great headphone but not a huge upgrade.

May 2, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #189 of 1,177
There is not that much of a difference in Mids and Highs IMO and my hearing is very good, not even close is an exaggeration but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Purchase and make sure you keep your receipts if you are not blown away with the difference, I spent hours switching between both units playing the same sources at different volumes. Great headphone but not a huge upgrade.
Well never said huge upgrade but measurements show that the mids and highs are way different! If you can not hear that you might wanna check your hearing (not wanting to sound mean or anything but its a huge difference!)

May 2, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #191 of 1,177
I don't go by printed measurements I go by the sound, not trying to be mean. And again I have the greatest hearing ever lol. Not even close usually means "huge".
I don't go by printed measurements I go by the sound, not trying to be mean. And again I have the greatest hearing ever lol. Not even close usually means "huge".
I find sometimes reviewing measurements first creates an expectation bias, so in order to move back to "objective", one must overcome said bias in an effort to return to the "point of beginning". Moreover, and I'm guilty of this as well, when I hear a perceivable difference, sometimes I may exaggerate and communicate that difference as "huge", when in fact I really mean present.

That being said, I spend a solid 48 hours listening before reviewing measurements (rtings.com, Innderfidelity), but I do find some measurements translate quite accurately with respect to my perception (I have large ear canals and good hearing based on actual tests related to my profession). For example, the MDR-1A measurements on rtings.com translate accurately based on my perception of the headphone, however, the MDR-100AAP does not. Measurements for the 100AAP suggest an increased bass presence over the 1A, however, I do not perceive this as it is measures. In fact, to my ears, the 1A has a deeper, stronger bass response across all bass frequencies in real-world use. Additionally, the 100AAP sounds more "brittle" than the 1A, although the measurements suggest it's the warmer headphone. Much of this may have to do with the consistency of frequency response due to variations in head size, shape, ear placement, and preferred listener headphone alignment. That being said, the 1A does measure better in frequency response consistency versus the 100AAP. It also is worh noting the driver on the 100AAP is further from my ears than the 1A, which most certainly is an explanation for the "thinner" sound profile (as I experience the headphone).

May 3, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #195 of 1,177
Hey Guys, I really liked the Sony Mdr-1a signature, but the low mids were a bit bloated and the highs a bit veiled.
A suggestion is get Audio Technica MSR7 pads to put on these (wrapping them around the outside of the cup). They reduce bass, increase clarity, spaciousness and comfort. Google them, you can find them at Amazon.com or on EBay where last I'd checked they cost about $15 a pair or less, usually with free shipping. Another option is the Meze 99 pads ($20 direct at their website). They also give your ear more space, though if they stick out you may still touch the driver just not as much. They slightly increase the clarity, improve the mids, slightly reduce low mids and high bass, an area found to cause "bloated" sound, while they actually increase the sub bass a bit, without it messing with the other frequencies. If you really like a lot of super low sub bass, these deliver it ridiculously.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back