Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
May 25, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #226 of 1,177
They look cool. I've posted a link to a more expensive model from that same brand below. What I notice on both is they have a small headband. With normal expansion distance for the earcups, fully extended, I'd have to presume they would not work for me as probably 80-90% of cans don't fit my head. The MDR-1A is unique in that I don't have to even fully extend them to reach. That's no small feat for me actually.

https://tinyurl.com/y6wz8lzs

May 25, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #227 of 1,177
They look cool. I've posted a link to a more expensive model from that same brand below. What I notice on both is they have a small headband. With normal expansion distance for the earcups, fully extended, I'd have to presume they would not work for me as probably 80-90% of cans don't fit my head. The MDR-1A is unique in that I don't have to even fully extend them to reach. That's no small feat for me actually.

https://tinyurl.com/y6wz8lzs
Those look so sexy and look similar to the MDR-1AM2. The mesh metal grill on the version I have and on this one appear to be the secret, as it seemingly acts as a uniform air vent. I may have to pick those up as well, but I'll have to figure out a way to convince the wife I really NEED those, like they totally sound different and are better for, uh, Thursdays.

May 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #229 of 1,177
May 26, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #230 of 1,177
Can you post a picture of the cans you bought with the cups fully extended out? I still think they'd be too small.
I have them extended out next to the MDR-1A to give you some scale. I have the Archgon extended out to 5 clicks and it goes to 7, but my head is very average. For a similar fit with the MDR-1A, I go out 4 clicks, but the Sony has a max of 10. If you have a big dome, then yes, they could be too small.
IMG_1674.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #231 of 1,177
I took a demo of the 1am2 the other day and I'm not that impressed. The main issue, I heard, was a scratchy and grating treble that rendered them unlistenable for more than a few minutes at a time. On the plus side, they have fixed the bloated bass, but it's still fairly loose at this price range. Ever since the 1r Sony seem to have tried to listen to consumers and fix the sound signature faults in the next model. However, they seem to go a bit overboard, or they don't do it well. Eg 1r was criticised for a rolled off sub bass and highs. For the 1a they addressed this, but made the bass overly bloated and loose, however the treble was better extended and done quite well. For the 1am2 they've attempted to fix the faults of the 1a, but they haven't done it well, for the reasons stated earlier.....all IMO of course.
They do look very nice, and are supremely light and comfortable though.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #232 of 1,177
May 29, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #233 of 1,177
You're not wrong. Man that's a complete ripoff.
Close. It's also a lot like the Audio Technica MSR7, its pads are nearly identical, but the driver is biocellulose. Under $50 Euros - not much more in USD. Too bad they don't sell it here. You can buy other A4Tech gear in America (computer peripherals). I wonder, is it Nighthawk or Foster voiced biocelluose (warm vs. v-shaped). Here's another that mimics the Sony MDR-1A - https://tinyurl.com/yagwmcmh

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #235 of 1,177
Purchased these recently, really enjoying them so far. Initial impressions of the bass being too prominent faded after a little break-in. Not sure if that's the driver settling in or my brain, but regardless, they sound quite nice, if not sometimes a little too forward. My only concern is the longevity of the pads, and it seems they can be replaced, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually removed them from the 1am2. I found a video of pad removal for the mdr-1a, but nothing for the 1am2. Curious if anyone in this thread has removed the pads and how they did it for future reference when the pads need replacing. Thanks!

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #236 of 1,177
I'm listening to these headphones now in the office, and whilst they sound great they're not as good as IEMs at blocking out the general buzz and chatter of the office. I hoped with them being closed they might drown out the chatter enough but sadly not. Time to pick some IEMs I think...

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #237 of 1,177
I found a video of pad removal for the mdr-1a, but nothing for the 1am2. Curious if anyone in this thread has removed the pads and how they did it for future reference when the pads need replacing.
The question is, regardless of pad size, is the actual plastic driver housing, the earcup without the pad, the same height, and width and circumference as the Sony MDR-1A? If so, the best choices are the following. For more distance from driver, a bit more treble detail, better mids and cleaner mid bass with even more sub bass, the Meze 99 pads ($20, at Meze website). For even more distance from the driver, and ear space, with a bit more treble, slightly less mids, less mid and sub bass overall (still V shaped) ATH-MSR7 pads (under $20 at Amazon or eBay.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #238 of 1,177
Yuuuuuh, they costs 169 euro in italy! Tried at mediamarkt in spain, i was in love with the fullness and separation they can give, with that bass which doesn’t intrude into the mids. A step up from every closed portable cans from marshall, audio technica, b&o, b&w, akg and for sure the overrated Sennheiser. I will try to mix with these, but as a simple tool for music enjoyment, it is a stellar bargain at this price. Have anyone of you a suggestion for a portable around ear closed under 200 better than these?

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #240 of 1,177
I took a demo of the 1am2 the other day and I'm not that impressed. The main issue, I heard, was a scratchy and grating treble that rendered them unlistenable for more than a few minutes at a time. On the plus side, they have fixed the bloated bass, but it's still fairly loose at this price range. Ever since the 1r Sony seem to have tried to listen to consumers and fix the sound signature faults in the next model. However, they seem to go a bit overboard, or they don't do it well. Eg 1r was criticised for a rolled off sub bass and highs. For the 1a they addressed this, but made the bass overly bloated and loose, however the treble was better extended and done quite well. For the 1am2 they've attempted to fix the faults of the 1a, but they haven't done it well, for the reasons stated earlier.....all IMO of course.
They do look very nice, and are supremely light and comfortable though.

You have to consider that in public the low frequencies disappear due to the rumble around, and pushing the volume up, the trebles come out and they are the most audible frequency for us. I think the treble are very articulated and extended. Coming from a warm hp like hd650 or porta pro, maybe the heaphones give the impression of an overly bright representations of highs frequencies at a first listen, but if you are accustomed with a more audiophile signature, like srh-940, hd600, k712, dt770, hd800, sony's studio hp, you would find that the treble are not schratchy at all: a bit less trebles would be too weak. Yes, detailed and present, but not behind the scene: for the 169 euro I payed, maybe it produces the best balance for a pleasant listening under 500 euro. The bass of beyerdynamic, the mids of a well burned in hd598, the highs of the wonderful studio grade shure models. All mixed up in a result that is not intended for critical listening.
The meaty mids meet the air in a special way that let me hear the technic of the singer, the timbre of any instrument, their placement. Everything's very near but the image is wide and 3d-ish and the midrange is not compressed at all. Sibilance come out only during the reproduction of the very sibilant tracks, there are no added infos from this "casque".
Yes, the bass is there and when the song calls for it, the answer is more strong than the question, but the mids are free from that luscious, thunderous pleasure letting every guitar have their particular body, the cellos being low but agile and the upright bass, while well weighted, being full of the wooden texture and resonance that make this particular instrument a plesure for the jazz lovers.
This signature is really not a reference, but it let me forget the technical aspect and our favorite obsession, like the pinnacle p1 can do. Doesn't the music matters?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back