Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
May 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #166 of 211
  Terrible decision indeed! And the worst is that they don't have replacement cables to supply! I'll think before buying Sony again!!
Thank you. I may get a Dr. Beats cable and do the same as you if I cannot find a damn cable in the next couple of days.

I might just even buy a pair of Beats to replace the Sonys! Say what you will about Beats, Head-Fi, but one thing's for sure; Beats puts a lot of effort in making their headphones "consumable", and it means abundance of spare cables, too.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #168 of 211
  Terrible decision indeed! And the worst is that they don't have replacement cables to supply! I'll think before buying Sony again!!
Thank you. I may get a Dr. Beats cable and do the same as you if I cannot find a damn cable in the next couple of days.

I've found that certain types of knockoff Beats cables are often poorly constructed, so the headphone jack sleeve can simply be popped off. Here are a few examples (click on the picture for eBay listing):

I got the very last one. and the red cap on the ends of the cable can just pop off with a bit of heat from a hairdryer and a pair of pliers.

After the caps are off, it fits perfectly in the MDR-10Rs!

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #172 of 211
  Yeah, that sucks. I can buy almost anything from China that costs less than 10$ and will include free shipping. But Canada to UK would be between 30 and 40$ :frowning2:

I guess you'll have to...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

...Pass

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #173 of 211
  I guess you'll have to...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

...Pass

To compensate me for having had to read this, I want you to reserve me the first ticket for your show :wink:

BTW, if someone's interested (in Canada or U.S.) by the 10RBT at 50$ (+ shipping), they're still available.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #174 of 211
It seems all but impossible to find a pair of portable circumaural headphones that don't either sound awful or destroy my ears with pain. I tried the 10R on at Best Buy and it was an amazing breath of fresh air in terms of comfort--I literally did not feel like I had any headphones on at all. But they had the damn thing hardwired to a display case so I couldn't play my own music and determine for myself if they were acceptable sounding.

I really don't want to do the whole "order from Amazon, hate it, return it, order from Amazon, hate it, return it" nonsense.

The ZX700 also seemed interesting to me except for one serious, serious issue--I wear my headphones over my hair. I hate pulling my hair back unless I absolutely have to. This almost always compromises the bass response and depending on the headphone that can go from a lot to a little. The junk overcompressed sample music the 10R played back at Best Buy didn't sound especially bassy to me as a result, but I can't tell if the muffled sound was purely the headphone or just the really low quality audio they had playing... so considering the ZX700's poor bass response, I'm afraid it's going to end up sounding like a tin can through my hair. Not to mention the whole dying right channel issue due to the ridiculous thin wire.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #175 of 211
  It seems all but impossible to find a pair of portable circumaural headphones that don't either sound awful or destroy my ears with pain. I tried the 10R on at Best Buy and it was an amazing breath of fresh air in terms of comfort--I literally did not feel like I had any headphones on at all. But they had the damn thing hardwired to a display case so I couldn't play my own music and determine for myself if they were acceptable sounding.

I really don't want to do the whole "order from Amazon, hate it, return it, order from Amazon, hate it, return it" nonsense.

The ZX700 also seemed interesting to me except for one serious, serious issue--I wear my headphones over my hair. I hate pulling my hair back unless I absolutely have to. This almost always compromises the bass response and depending on the headphone that can go from a lot to a little. The junk overcompressed sample music the 10R played back at Best Buy didn't sound especially bassy to me as a result, but I can't tell if the muffled sound was purely the headphone or just the really low quality audio they had playing... so considering the ZX700's poor bass response, I'm afraid it's going to end up sounding like a tin can through my hair. Not to mention the whole dying right channel issue due to the ridiculous thin wire.

The problem's the hair. Cut them. Problem solved!

Seriously, headphones' sound is tuned to be heard through your ears, not your hair. The cups already have cloth, mesh, grille, etc. inside to tame or boost some frequencies. If you add hair to this, then the sound will absolutely be confused.

So, cut or pull the hair, or buy the first generation or Beats headphones.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #176 of 211
Or use in-ears I suppose, but I still haven't been able to find a tip type that doesn't give me itchy ears. Maybe I should consider custom IEMs.

Anyway bought a pair of 10Rs (the noise-canceling variant). Will use them like crazy during the 14 day return window to see if I like.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #177 of 211
  It seems all but impossible to find a pair of portable circumaural headphones that don't either sound awful or destroy my ears with pain.

Isn't that the truth? I decided to take a gamble on the Sony MDR10RDC (same as the MDR10RNC but without the iPhone-friendly mic cable). Bought it via an eBay open-box special for about $75 plus shipping.

As far as keeping the noise out? Great! Very quiet and very comfortable. It fulfills its main purpose.

Sound quality? Just OK. Kind of murky and distant out of my iPhone. Highs and mids lack clarity but an external amp may help... haven't tried this yet. Also keep in mind I'm coming from a Decware HD800 setup so I'm extra judgmental. :wink:

Noise cancelling circuit is a little quirky. You'll hear some quiet squealing when the sound is at near silence, but it's not a dealbreaker unless it's also picking up radio signals (some people report issues with this). So far, no issues there. 

Value for money? Unbeatable at $75. Retail price I don't think I'd want to go much over $120-ish for these. Certainly not worth the $250 MSRP.

Final verdict? Recommended for somewhat un-fussy listeners who want a cheap, comfortable, reasonably-portable pair of closed cans for noisy environments. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #178 of 211
I had to return my 10RNCs because my ears stick out a little and so the little microphone pods inside the earcups were rubbing against the cartilage. Now I'm using a pair of Sony ZX700s, which are much more comfortable and have a more mid/high focused sound, so I'm liking them a bit more. They aren't as portable, though, and I definitely miss that really nice zippered case the 10RNC came with.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #179 of 211
  I decided to take a gamble on the Sony MDR10RDC... 

Sound quality? Just OK. Kind of murky and distant out of my iPhone. Highs and mids lack clarity but an external amp may help... 

Yep, amping definitely helps. Sound quality is much better from my laptop headphone outs than via the iPhone.

Now off to find a small & decent portable amp. Or just deal. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #180 of 211
I picked up the Bluetooth model and find it to a very comfortable enjoyable sounding headphone that works almost as good in BT mode as it does using the audio cable. I have to admit I got it for $163 which helped make my decision as I am not sure I would have paid full retail. But at the price I paid I am quite enamoured with the headphone and really enjoy using these cable free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back