Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #92 of 211
my mdr-10r cost me 103 dollars here in Panama, I found it an excellent sound quality price is very good is very clear treble exelentes also means the bass is good but not heavy I would say you need a little more low , but I still really like their sound is very spacious and nice, I also have the mdr-v55 and notice the difference in changing the mdr-mdr 10r but clear-v55 is much lower.

I also buy the mdr-10RC and xba-h1 or h3 if I can.

recommend the mdr-10r

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #94 of 211
Jan 24, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #95 of 211
I just got a pair of these, wanted to post some first impressions.

Please note, I received the MDR-10R as a review unit from Sony Australia to keep.

I don't have the MDR-1R on hand to directly compare to, but it seems that the 10R is definitely more bassy than it's bigger brother. Depending on your preferences this may be a good thing - some people, myself included, find the MDR-1R a bit bass light in the very lowest frequencies. It lacks the spaciousness of the MDR-1R, which should be expected given the smaller size of the earcups. It's also a fairly laid back, relaxed and musical kind of listen.

The high frequencies are a bit rolled off, so there is a sense of stuffiness or congestion. There is a particular weird dip around the vocals that makes them sound a bit distant / hollow and makes me think I have a head cold. 

Build is nice and lightweight with good use of quality plastics, but there are a few rough edges here and there and the whole thing feels a bit insubstantial. (Personally, I think this is okay given the low weight). It's very very comfortable, and it seems in this respect Sony has nailed the ergonomics.

Of course, I'll need some more time to do some direct comparisons against other headphones in this price point, but my thinking is that the 10R hits it out of the park design wise but the sound is a bit weird.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #96 of 211
Hey vantt1: Are those the Sony MDR-10R headphones in the carrying case?  I just purchased those headphones (online purchase so I am waiting for them to arrive) but I wanted to purchase a carrying case for them too and that case looks to be the perfect fit.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #97 of 211
  Hey vantt1: Are those the Sony MDR-10R headphones in the carrying case?  I just purchased those headphones (online purchase so I am waiting for them to arrive) but I wanted to purchase a carrying case for them too and that case looks to be the perfect fit.

Yes, the case I bought was a perfect fit, surprisingly. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #99 of 211
1r over the 10r:

Larger, sturdier build
Spacious sound
Sound has clearer and well defined mids and highs
Flatter response overall
Headphone jack is not "proprietary", can use many other cables
Silent silicone-lubricated hinges

The MDR-10R has proprietary cables? I thought they use 3.5mm jack at both ends.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #100 of 211
The MDR-10R has proprietary cables? I thought they use 3.5mm jack at both ends.

Yes it does, but in a way the 3.5 mm connector on the headphone end is proprietary. The diameter of the plastic sheath immediately to the left (in the picture) of the connector itself is smaller on the headphone end than it is on the device end. The device end is colored light gray and too thick to fit into the headphone, because the jack is recessed behind a hole that only accommodates for the correct end of the cable. This is to prevent users from accidentally connecting the device end of the cable to the headphone, which makes an awkward connection at the headphone, and in the case of the inline remote cable, the inline remote will end up close to the device end. 

I think this is a bad design because replacement cables will be near impossible to find and it won't be possible to use cables from Beats headphones that have inline volume controls for iPods and iPhones.

8ZeMUY6.jpg

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #101 of 211
  Yes it does, but in a way the 3.5 mm connector on the headphone end is proprietary. The diameter of the plastic sheath immediately to the left (in the picture) of the connector itself is smaller on the headphone end than it is on the device end. The device end is colored light gray and too thick to fit into the headphone, because the jack is recessed behind a hole that only accommodates for the correct end of the cable. This is to prevent users from accidentally connecting the device end of the cable to the headphone, which makes an awkward connection at the headphone, and in the case of the inline remote cable, the inline remote will end up close to the device end. 

I think this is a bad design because replacement cables will be near impossible to find and it won't be possible to use cables from Beats headphones that have inline volume controls for iPods and iPhones.

I see... :frowning2:

I was considering the MDR-10R as it had replaceable cables. (I always damage my headphone cables)

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #102 of 211

I was considering the MDR-10R as it had replaceable cables. (I always damage my headphone cables)

It kinda sucks, so I'm going to try and mod the headphone jack so it is flush with the headphone, allowing me to use any cable I want.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #103 of 211

On my 10RBT, I can plug the included cable L side towards source or L side towards headphones and it seems to be working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back