Sony MDR-100ABN h.ear on wireless impressions thread
Nov 24, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #91 of 113

I'll add some more when I've done a bit more listening

Hi Chris (and anyone else who cares to chime in!),

Very much look forward to hearing your further impressions. I'm wavering between the QC35 and 100ABN at the moment, and struggling to make a final decision! I've listened to both in-store and initially thought the QC35 sounded better, but then I was out again today to try them both (trying to correlate what I've read online with what I'm hearing myself) and the BOSE sounded dreadful and the track skip buttons refused to work - I can only assume it was some sort of interference from other nearby devices. Meanwhile, the SONY, one aisle over, sounded great (while on previous attempts it had sounded a little 'muddy' for some reason). Additionally the SONY slider control appeals to me for the ease of fast forward and rewind (not track skip, but slide and hold to 'wind' - I read that the BOSE does this too by double or triple press and hold, but couldn't get this to work on my device). I'm thinking maybe the noisy in-store environment (Currys) could have led to the differing impressions of the sound quality, but unfortunately it's the only place I can hear both side-by-side.

I'll be pairing whichever headphones I decide on to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which supports AptX. These are to stand in for my main Sennheiser open back over ear wired headphones when I'm out and about. I listen to anything from classical guitar to bass heavy soundtracks and electronic music - not many vocals.

Any insight appreciated as I hope to order in the next week or so.

Thanks!

P.S. Also looking at the DN4PRO Headphone case if I buy the SONY as the provided case doesn't look too tough and has no carry handle or attach point.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #93 of 113
  These are on sale TODAY..November 30th..for 199.00 at the "river" site.  One day deal only.  Not sure how that price stacks up deal wise..but thought I'd pass it on.

Bern

It was a really good price at $199.  I ordered another pair from them at $199 from Best Buy.  The manager price-matched Amazon's price.  He didn't want to because it was a "deal of the day" and apparently that's against their policy but I also purchased a h.ear go speaker from them.  $350 for both, not bad when the headphones themselves are normally $350.  I wanted to like these headphones but was focused on ANC, which is why I switched to the QC35's.  However, since then, the QC30's have been released and those will be my go-to earbuds replacing my QC20i models.  Now I don't have a pair of over-the-ear headphones and thought I would give these another chance.  B&O recently announced their wireless, over-the-ear ANC headphones but they carry a high price ($499).

Best Buy now sells them for $228, still not a bad price and $122 under MSRP.  Just be careful as only the black and viridian blue models are currently on sale there.  All other colors are $350.

I forgot how tight these sounded compared to the QC35's.  By tight I mean the bass, while present, does bleed into the mids or sound as sloppy.  I still don't think they're as comfortable as the QC35's (mainly due to the smaller earcups) but I think I'm more fond of these than when I initially purchased them.  Maybe the hype was too much and I didn't step back.  The h.ear go Bluetooth speaker (I purchased it because it has Google Cast) has surprised me the most.  It's definitely on par with, if not better than, the Bose SoundLink Mini II while taking up less space and lasting longer on a single charge.  But that's a discussion for a different place.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #95 of 113
  has anyone used them for workout ?

I wouldn't recommend it.  Over-the-ear headphones tend to cause sweat to buildup even if you aren't doing cardio.  Not only that but these are noise cancelling (which means you will be unaware of your surroundings) and they aren't sweat/moisture resistant so getting them wet will ruin them.

Get an inexpensive pair of water/sweat resistant wireless earbuds, they will be much better for exercising.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #96 of 113
I noticed the volume on these headphones in wireless mode isn't very loud at the highest setting.. have adjusted my source (Macbook) and headphones and it's not quite there. Have any of you noticed any issues with enough volume? Wondering if I got a bad set or if it's a limitation of the internal amp.

Thanks!

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #97 of 113
Just got myself these Sony MDR-100abn's and love them. Such a big difference when noise cancelling is enabled. It did feel that the audio sounded slightly different when ANC was disabled.

I did find the bass just a tad below my sweet spot. Has anyone else found themselves enabling the software equaliser with a slight boost on the bass/low frequency?

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #98 of 113
I just received a set of these today and quickly paired them with my ZX2. The ZX2 bluetooth menu showed a popup indicating that they were paired via LDAC codec. They sound very good and the noise cancellation does work great. Completely blocked the voice of my wife when she was talking! LOL.

I didn't buy them new, but they had only been used once prior to my purchasing them.

I find them to be of good build quality and the fit is secure and very comfortable. I foresee a lot of ear time for these with the ZX2. So far, no complaints at all.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #99 of 113
Morning People,

I have a pair of these which arrived yesterday so I thought I'd share my impressions.

......................................................................Snip...........................................

LDAC is disappointing :frowning2:

Sound quality wise I do perceive a bit more detail coming through but connectivity is an issue. The phone actually warns me about interference from wifi on a 2.4Ghz bandwidth (ie all wifi) and to step down the streaming quality to eliminate disruption or to switch Wifi off all together. This is fine if I'm listening to local files on the device but rubbish for streaming. Who wants to stream tidal on 4G. O2 will bend me over for data.

I can use wired at home (which I'd tend to anyway) which is one work around, It's just whats the point in having a 'Hi-Res' codec thats so prone to interference

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, the sound quality of the cans is good and the ANC and wireless work well.

I'll add some more when I've done a bit more listening

Although I am paired using my ZX2 rather than a smartphone, I am using a pretty strong 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi transmitter that is on 24/7 powering my devices throughout my house and so far I have had no interference at all when using the LDAC codec.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #100 of 113
Although I am paired using my ZX2 rather than a smartphone, I am using a pretty strong 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi transmitter that is on 24/7 powering my devices throughout my house and so far I have had no interference at all when using the LDAC codec.

I've been using LDAC with bluetooth speakers and headphones with my phone for over a year and can confirm that I haven't experienced any connectivity issues.  I also use a powerful 2.4 ghz wi-fi router.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #102 of 113
Hi I am using this headphone with NW-a35 and in wired mode with the anc On sound gets completely distorted and destroyed with anything above 90 volume level, is there anyone else using it NW-A35 facing same issue.

It even distorts on my phone as well "mi max" and my pc too.
But when it's off in wired mode, it's fine doesn't distort.

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #103 of 113
  Hi I am using this headphone with NW-a35 and in wired mode with the anc On sound gets completely distorted and destroyed with anything above 90 volume level, is there anyone else using it NW-A35 facing same issue.

It even distorts on my phone as well "mi max" and my pc too.
But when it's off in wired mode, it's fine doesn't distort.

I'm using these with an Xperia Z5 Compact and don't have any issues.  Perhaps your pair is faulty.

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #105 of 113
I am looking for a wireless headphone with ANC, and the 100ABN is currently on sale for $210, do you guys think this will be a good purchase? I can push myself and get the Bose QC35 but I'm not sure yet if it worth the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back