Sony MDR-100ABN h.ear on wireless impressions thread
May 26, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #32 of 113
The LEDs are on the back, and i don't think they are bright enough to be very disturbing and it's not bright enough to light up a wall by far, if you are not in pitch dark.

I spend quite a few nights where only a monitor or two where providing light, and i never noticed the LED flashing while using it.

But there is an universal trick, that i use on all my PC monitors. Matched colour electrical tape over the LED

May 31, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #33 of 113
I borrowed a pair for review. Fantastic headphones.

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #34 of 113
Can anyone compare them to the Samsung Level Over?
I broke mine and so far they impressed me a lot.
I lost my Sony MDR 1RBT The mk2 version imported from Japan to Germany

Especially that the noise cancelling could be turned on and off without having an impact on the sound made the Samsung stand out.
So suitable for outside use - > wind makes NC unusable
And the sound good - less brassy than Sony though

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #37 of 113
Someone please compare these to Momentum Wireless. Noise cancelling and sound.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #38 of 113
Found myself a good (?) deal for a pair, used though, of Sony 100ABN h.ear on's for € 200,- (retail in The Netherlands is € 300,- , but sold out almost everywhere).
Received it yesterday and my very first impression is very good! 

A well balanced sound, with a lot of details. 
Hope to have more time tonight to listen to more tracks and compare them. 
As a source I use my ipad/iphone with Spotify on "Extreme Quality". 

(Connected to the Apple Watch without any troubles, so this is perfect should I use the headphones in the gym when I don't carry my phone with me. But the headphones are quite large, so I'm not sure IF I will use them in the gym though..)

This is my first pair of headphones with Noise Cancellation, and my impression is that it works very well!
I've tried the NC in my office, with a airco just 1mtr in front of me. The NC completely eliminates this sound.
Conversations are numbed to the background, you can hear what people say but it is very soft, even when they sit next to you. 
Both are tested without music playing. 

I do notice an little hissing sound (also referred to as a "distant rain") though, when I turn on the Noise Cancellation.
This is not noticeable when music is playing. 
But this seem te be normal?

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #39 of 113
Long time lurker, I thought I would share my thoughts on these headphones.  I've going through quite a few models to find the right pair of over-the-ear Bluetooth headphones for me and I think I finally found them.  I have gone through quite a few, I'm sure the people at Best Buy are tired of me.  These include the V-Moda Crossfade wireless, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless, Bose QuietComfort 35, JBL Everest Elite 700, and the Sony MDR-100ABN.

I think I'm finally done and will keep the Sony headphones unless something pops up that is truly amazing (from what I have read, the Sennheiser PXC 500 headphones aren't wowing me, will have to test in-person though).  All of my music is sourced from my iPhone 6S Plus via the standard iOS Music app with all files downloaded via Apple Music (so 256kbps C_VBR AAC files) or purchased through the iTunes Store (same quality).

I prefer the sound quality of the Sony headphones over the Bose QC35's.  Not that the Bose are bad but I'm not a fan of the scaling EQ.  When listening to music at a low volume, the highs and mids seem to be cut back with the bass being too forward.  I like a lot of bass but they just sound muddy.  Tracks from Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, and even mainstream pop Katy Perry were covered by overblown bass (due to the headphones) while vocals would take a backseat.  Turning the QC35 headphones up resulted in better sound but I don't need to turn them up, not with their noise cancellation (which is, by far, the best of all the headphones I have tested).  The Sony headphones offer the same sound at all volumes and they have a wider sound stage than the Bose.  They seem a bit more detailed too with bass that is more prevalent but does not result in muddy sound.  I think that these are more in line with the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headphones in terms of audio quality.  I would actually give the edge to the Sony headphones but that might be due to me using my iPhone while also being mentally aware that the Momentum headphones are working with SBC audio whereas the Sony headphones are receiving AAC audio.

SBC audio aside, I would have kept the Sennheiser's but their noise cancellation is laughable, at best.  The JBL Everest Elite 700 headphones cancel out more noise than the Momentum 2.0 headphones though the later sound exponentially better.  That's the main reason why I returned the V-Moda Crossfade wireless headphones.  I thought I could get away without noise cancellation but I can't, not when traveling or even when I'm in the office I share with three other people.  The Sennheiser's would let all sorts of outside noise in.  I could hear people talking on the phone, the clicking of their keyboards, etc. even when playing music.  It wasn't until I turned the music up (to the same levels as the V-Moda's) when my office noise finally stopped.  The Sony's do a much better job at noise cancelling.  Not as good as Bose but, in my completely unscientific testing, I would say that the Sony's are about 85-90% of what the Bose QC35's are in terms of noise cancellation.  The Sony headphones aren't silent like the Bose.  I can hear a small amount of static coming through but it's not as bad as the QC25 headphones or the JBL's.  Luckily I couldn't hear a difference in sound quality with the Sony headphones when NC was engaged or turned off.  There is a difference when turning the headphones off and using them wired.  There isn't any detail in the audio, the sound stage is limited, and the volume levels are poor.  They go from sounding like a nice pair of headphones to ones made of paper playing behind a concrete wall.

All-in-all, I am very pleased with these headphones.  To me, the best way to describe them would be calling them a wireless, NC pair of Audio Technica ATH M50X headphones.  They sound very, very similar to those headphones (one of my office mates has a pair and he let me test the two for a bit of time) but are wireless and capable of shutting out a large portion of noise.  I went with the black model but thought about going with the iridium blue versions.  My only complaint, really, is that the headphones don't fold flat for travelling.  I absolutely hated that the V-Moda's didn't fold up at all.  The Sennheiser, JBL, and Sony headphones all fold the same way with one ear cup touching another.  I prefer what Bose has done with the QC35 headphones (and what Sennheiser has done with the PXC 550 headphones).  Folding flat makes for easier travel as I can just slide the headphones into my backpack and go.  Headphones are a lot more cumbersome, and are thicker, when they fold into themselves.  It means that the whole outer pocket of my backpack is dedicated to the headphones instead of using the inner compartment meant for textbooks and other things.

Edit: After having spent the majority of the day yesterday listening to these, and some other headphones, I've come to a couple more conclusions.  First, there is an audible difference in the Sony's when the NC is turned on and off.  The bass drops a bit when the NC is turned on.  I didn't really notice it at first but turning the NC on and off while the same song is playing allowed me to hear the results.  It's not bad, I still think there's more bass in the Sony's when the NC is on compared to the Bose.  The black models attract fingerprints.  I've thrown a small microfiber cloth in with my headphones so I can wipe them down every so often.  These things are also light, really light.  The Bose, V-Moda, and JBL headphones are all heavier than these.  The Bose actually feel lighter but I think that's mainly due to their earcups and how there's so much space inside of them.  I was shocked to learn that the Sony's are almost a good 30 grams lighter than the Bose.  Using the built-in controls on the Sony headphones is easy.  Some reviews said that using the controls was not as easy as the Bose QC35's because the volume rocker was harder to find as was the button/slider for music playback.  They really aren't anymore difficult to find and use than the controls on the Bose.  I had zero difficulty using them without having to take an extra few seconds to feel around.

I would still describe the sound signature of the Sony's as being close to the Audio Technica M50X headphones when the NC is turned on so that's a good thing to me.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #40 of 113
I thought I would do a followup as I will be returning these headphones.  Not due to their sound quality or noise cancellation but it's due to their build and Bluetooth.  First, after just a few weeks of owning them, one of the earpads is starting to deteriorate.  I can't snap them off and replace them like I can with headphones from other brands (V-Moda, Bose, etc.) and I really don't want to keep using headphones with black flakes that keep coming off of the earpads.  The earpads are also warping strangely.  The bottoms of both earpads are being crushed from folding the headphones and putting them in their case.  It's not the end of the world but they aren't popping back out.  These are supposed to be new earpads, not ones that are 5 years old.  They should still have some spring in them.

Second, I don't like how these sit on my ears when I'm standing and walking around.  They feel fine but they wobble whenever I turn my head and that's due to their thick earpads.  The Crossfade Wireless had thick earpads too but they didn't wobble because the headband secured them.  The wobbling is weird and it cases the earcups to shift on my head.

Third, and this just might be the pair I had, I experienced strange dropouts when using them over Bluetooth.  The whole signal wouldn't dropout, it would just be the cymbals, high-hats, or some other aspect of the song.  It would only drop out in one ear at a time.  I was listening to a song and noticed that the cymbals were going from one ear to another.  I plugged the headphones in and they didn't do this.  I tried my Bluetooth earbuds (Bose SoundSport Wireless) and they didn't do this.  I tried the Bose QC35's I still have yet to return and they didn't do it either.

So, for now, I'm sticking with the QC35's.  It's a shame really as I liked the Sony headphones a lot but noticed some quirks that popped up after a few weeks.  In my opinion, the earpads falling apart this early in the stage is something that just isn't acceptable.  I had a pair of Bose TriPort over-the-ear headphones that I purchased in 2007.  Their earpads didn't start deteriorating until 2013 and even then I just had to spend $7 to replace them, that was with constant use too.

I would reconsider the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headphones but their noise cancellation isn't enough and I experienced constant Bluetooth dropouts.  So far, it looks like the Bose are best for me.  They may not have the audio quality of some other Bluetooth headphones (mainly the Sony's, Sennheiser, and V-Moda's) but their noise cancellation is still the best, they are extremely comfortable, I have yet to experience any Bluetooth dropouts, and they aren't falling apart on me after having them for close to 30 days.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #41 of 113
I picked up a pair of these throigh Head-fi and am waitimg for them to arrive. Hopefully I dont have the issues some have reported here and elsewhere. I devided to gove these a try since I have several Sony products I really like. Will report on them after they arrive.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #43 of 113
Well my pair of 100ABN arrived today that picked up here on the Head-fi forum and i am bery impressed so far. The ANC is not quite as good as the Bose QC35 but close and I really like the ability to turn it off and still have the same quality of sound. I can see using ANC under specific circumstances and wanting it off at other times. They are a bit hot right now but it is also hot in general so I imagine any headphone would suffer this issue under the circumstances.

Sound wise I am really enjoying their signature, I find it similar to the 100AAP but not exactly the same. Unfortunately I don't have the 100AAP anymore to do a proper A/B comparison but might stop at a Bestbuy and do a quick comparison on one or 2 songs and report back. The headphone seems snugger than the 100AAP as well with better noise isolation even withtthout the ANC.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #45 of 113
I didn't notice any significant difference using LDAC versus APTx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back