Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 23, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #2,356 of 2,709
One YouTube video doesn’t make it fact, unless you have more evidence.
Yeah, but with its immediate precursor having the same pattern of failure, I'd say one is enough for people to be wary of buying the M2, it's pretty much the exact same thing.

That crack/scuff was not in the same place as what most people experienced in the original version, was it?
I would be surprised if Sony did absolutely NOTHING to try and fix it so it would make sense that the failure might now be at a different point.

The MDR1000X clearly had cracking issues and now M2 might as well. Whether or not it's a wide-spread thing, only time will tell. I personally wouldn't drop 200+ on a pair of headphones that aren't reliable and aren't supported well by their own manufacturers but you're all free to do what you want.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,357 of 2,709
Yeah, but with its immediate precursor having the same pattern of failure, I'd say one is enough for people to be wary of buying the M2, it's pretty much the exact same thing.

I would be surprised if Sony did absolutely NOTHING to try and fix it so it would make sense that the failure might now be at a different point.

The MDR1000X clearly had cracking issues and now M2 might as well. Whether or not it's a wide-spread thing, only time will tell. I personally wouldn't drop 200+ on a pair of headphones that aren't reliable and aren't supported well by their own manufacturers but you're all free to do what you want.

I agree that nobody knows yet if it is still an issue. My point was that all of the cracks I saw on the original model were in the same spot, which was different from that on the video. Time will tell. If I were to pick them up, I'd surely pick up the 4 year Square Trade warranty on them, though that adds another $27 to the price.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #2,359 of 2,709
I'd say it's worth that price since Sony's being a pain in the ass

They certainly didn't handle it very well, and won't answer any questions about it on Amazon though they answer everything else. Waiting to see how the new Beats sound before I make a decision (cant' believe I actually posted that!) on going for the Sony/Beats or going for a non-ANC like the DSR9BT.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,361 of 2,709
I have 8 days left to return the 1000x I got it at $228.00 is the improvements make up for the difference? Also are the M2 better in terms of of comfort?

I thought the 'crack' in the video looked more like something harder than the plastic had scuffed the surface but not knowing how the cracks had first evidenced themselves I was not certain.

Every noise canceling headphone that I have considered has an issue. I was not satisfied with the build of the Sony (a lot of plastic) but it appeared to be the best option. Then I found this issue. Difficult to make a decision.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,364 of 2,709
So as far as i understand even the new 1000XM2 does not support true multipoint connection like QC35 when it moves smoothly between two connected devices, is this true?! because i can't believe that among all these features a one essential feature like this is not included!!

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,365 of 2,709
Got my 1000x delivered today. So far I have tried these in office environment only. But NC I found magically excellent to silent whole world around you. Except for minor voices, nothing is audible.

Coming to SQ, I am not an audiophile and have been using Sony XB900 for few years. This is first time I am using premium headphones like 1000x. At first I thought bass from 1000x is quite weak, but I think maybe my ears audio taste has been spoiled by use of XB900's excessive bass over very long period. On carefully listening and comparing few songs on both headphones, I realized that 1000X is altogether different league. It gives real stage like feel of a song. Suddenly I have realized what fun and purity I was missing in songs with SB900.

xtremely happy with 1000x purchase!

P.S. BTW no creaks, etc. Will keep close watch on it in coming days

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #2,366 of 2,709
Can anyone confirm that bluetooth is completely disabled, not just disconnected, when the cable is plugged in and the headphone is on?
It's disabled. When you connect the headphone to cable and power it on the BT led blinks red three times and then stays off. All the other leds and functions stays on. No music control is available.
Don't use it w/o power, the sound is suffering without the DSP. If you prefer with or without NC, it's all a personal preference. I prefer it with NC on, gives it a "tighter" sound.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,367 of 2,709
So as far as i understand even the new 1000XM2 does not support true multipoint connection like QC35 when it moves smoothly between two connected devices, is this true?! because i can't believe that among all these features a one essential feature like this is not included!!

I kind of disappointed that the new model was just released with Bluetooth 4.1.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,368 of 2,709

Understand that 5 offers nothing. In fact 4 offers nothing and is simply supported because they bought a bluetooth 4.1 chip since people would question why headphones made today are still using 3.0 and 2.0 chips. Audio transmission and controls are still handled by the same profiles introduced in bluetooth 2 and 3. Many of the higher bit rate transfer modes were never required and thus never used in 3.0/4.0, and highly touted features like Low Energy modes in 4.0 and the high speed/increased range modes in 5.0 have nothing to do with the audio profiles headphones use. Low Energy (LE) and Enhanced ranged are specifically for low bitrate profiles designed with sensor relay and device controls in mind. Faster data transfers is useful for raw file transfers between 2 5.0 capable devices, but the a2dp profiles, SBC, AptX, even sonys LDAC codecs have no way of taking advantage of it because of "standards".

We need a new set of audio profiles, maybe in 5.1? Not enough audiophiles on the bluetooth committee!

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,369 of 2,709

There really isn’t anything in later BT versions that would be of any benefit to headphone/audio users. They cracked the audio aspect with version 3.0 and the low energy with version 4.

Edit - jeffmd beat me to it with a far more informative post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back