Sony MDR-1000X
Jul 30, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #2,176 of 2,709
Hello all,

I purchased the MDR-1000x a week ago and quite soon noticed something that I'm wondering if that is a defect or a feature.

I can hear an extra sound from the right cup when the volume is (very) low. Especially when I'm listening podcast of male speaker at low volume (the lowest volume that I can easily hear words). Also when listening music at relative low volume level and music has lower volume periods. At first it might not be easy to notice but when it's noticed, it notices constantly and gets disturbed.

The sound sounds and feels like a low frequency tone or resonance. The resonance is audible only when ANC is on and ambient sound is off, and I'm listening something. Only the right cup is affected by this. I turned around the headset, right cup to left ear. Then I can hear the resonance only on the left ear. So, for that reason I'd assume it to be defect. However, I went to store to check the demo headset. I was able to hear the resonance also by using different headset.

I'd appreciate to hear from you that do you hear any low tone or resonance when you are listening male voice at low volume level.

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #2,177 of 2,709
Received mine yesterday but think I'll be sending them back. Think I've realised that whilst I'm not a basshead, I do like a bit more bass than these provide and these seem to be lacking that sub-bass I feel when using my RHA MA 750s or M50x wired in to my PC (unfair of course due to my soundcard AMP, but I don't need two set of headphones to use on my PC). The noise cancelling works well, they are comfy but they don't get loud enough for me (A lot of the hip hop and rnb I listen to from the 90s/ early 2000s are quieter than the newer stuff I listen to as well). I get that the main feature here is the ANC but I don't feel in terms of sound anyway, that I can justify the £300 vs the £99 I spent on my ATH M50x

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #2,178 of 2,709
Received mine yesterday but think I'll be sending them back. Think I've realised that whilst I'm not a basshead, I do like a bit more bass than these provide and these seem to be lacking that sub-bass I feel when using my RHA MA 750s or M50x wired in to my PC (unfair of course due to my soundcard AMP, but I don't need two set of headphones to use on my PC). The noise cancelling works well, they are comfy but they don't get loud enough for me (A lot of the hip hop and rnb I listen to from the 90s/ early 2000s are quieter than the newer stuff I listen to as well). I get that the main feature here is the ANC but I don't feel in terms of sound anyway, that I can justify the £300 vs the £99 I spent on my ATH M50x

The MDR-1000X is definitely more balanced than let's say, the QC35.

How do you feel when you plug the MDR-1000X into your PC?

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,179 of 2,709
The MDR-1000X is definitely more balanced than let's say, the QC35.

How do you feel when you plug the MDR-1000X into your PC?

I have no idea since they are in the box, sealed and about to be picked up by Yodel lol.

Even if they do sound better on + wired, I wasn't looking for another set of connected headphones at that cost. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the sound of them, I just needed a bit more bass when using them on the go.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,180 of 2,709
I have no idea since they are in the box, sealed and about to be picked up by Yodel lol.

Even if they do sound better on + wired, I wasn't looking for another set of connected headphones at that cost. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the sound of them, I just needed a bit more bass when using them on the go.
I think you'll have to ask yourself which wireless headphones have a strong enough amp to give you the sound you want.

You might have to try beats.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,182 of 2,709
I think you'll have to ask yourself which wireless headphones have a strong enough amp to give you the sound you want.

You might have to try beats.

B&W P7 Wireless. Absolutely slamming bass, but nevertheless under control, and they go loud. Even on older tracks that were mastered before the loudness wars (typically -6dB without much use of a limiter) I’ve never pushed the volume beyond the 50% according to my iToys.

Oh, and they’re not just about the bass, they do the other stuff fantasically as well. I do love the MDR-1000X as it’s a rythmiclly fast headphone, but the B&W P7W brings more smiles to my face.

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,184 of 2,709
Thank you all for the responses. Noise cancelling was never the goal to be honest but rather, asking friends and simply typing in "best wireless headphones" would generate lists filled with noise cancelling headphones (with the number one spot generally being a toss up between the 1000x and the QC35s).

Due to my U11s lack of a headphone jack and a 3.5mm adaptor with a rather weak headphone amp, I was trying to find a wireless headphone with a amp powerful enough to drive songs before the loudness war like what @Slaphead mentioned.

So V Moda or P7 have been mentioned. What about the Momentum 2.0s? I've ordered these from a company called Very who will ship out an exchange within 3 days if I decide to have one. P7 is sounding good though if it really does have a good built in amp

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2,185 of 2,709
Thank you all for the responses. Noise cancelling was never the goal to be honest but rather, asking friends and simply typing in "best wireless headphones" would generate lists filled with noise cancelling headphones (with the number one spot generally being a toss up between the 1000x and the QC35s).

Due to my U11s lack of a headphone jack and a 3.5mm adaptor with a rather weak headphone amp, I was trying to find a wireless headphone with a amp powerful enough to drive songs before the loudness war like what @Slaphead mentioned.

So V Moda or P7 have been mentioned. What about the Momentum 2.0s? I've ordered these from a company called Very who will ship out an exchange within 3 days if I decide to have one. P7 is sounding good though if it really does have a good built in amp
Pretty sure, from the glowing opinions, that the P7 best the Momentum 2.0's. Not sure about the V Moda.

Can you demo?

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,186 of 2,709
Pretty sure, from the glowing opinions, that the P7 best the Momentum 2.0's. Not sure about the V Moda.

Can you demo?

Don't know of any places in London that would have them to demo really. Hmmm P7s are sounding tasty. I'll look them up in depth

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,187 of 2,709
Can somebody maybe help me with this, it's doing my head in as I can't find any solution or even somebody with a similar problem. I posted something similar previously but I thought I'd try again.

I bought a set of mdr1000x and promptly noticed small drops or cuts in the sound at fairly random moments (over bluetooth always) - sometimes 3 or 4 times in a minute, sometimes once in half an hour. I fiddled with as many settings as I could and decided it must be defective and sent it back and got a replacement.
Same problem with the new set. What are the chances of getting two sets with exactly the same fault? Possible I guess.
The phone I'm using is an xperia z5, up to date on Android 7.1.1. I even factory reset the phone.

The sound cuts are always a split second, and they appear to happen at random. I can see no pattern, although it very frequently happens within the first second or two of starting playing music. There seems to be nothing I can do to influence the frequency of the cuts:

Distance between the player (phone) and headphones makes NO difference.

Having a case or not makes NO difference.

Having the phone on 4g/3g/2g or even airplane mode makes NO difference.

Playing via Spotify or mp3/flac/wav etc on the phone itself makes NO difference.

I've tested the headphones with a xperia z1 tab (which has no hi res audio LDAC function) and there was no problem, the headphones worked just fine.

I tested the phone with a small bluetooth speaker (again no hi res function) and it works just fine, no cuts at all in the sound.

So what's the problem? Why won't SONY headphones work properly with a premium SONY phone, which has the hi res audio functionality that the headphones are supposedly built for? The only possibility I can see from testing it is that there is some problem either with the current android version on Xperia or it's something to do with the LDAC. I don't know if this is a software or a hardware fix.

So can somebody help with this? Is this something that software can sort out? Even a rollback to 6.0? Or at the very least is anybody having a similar problem? Any info would be massively appreciated

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,188 of 2,709
Are the mdr1000x's supposed to have a static like sound when noise cancelling is turned on and the volume is low/no music playing?
These are my first noise cancelling headphones so please forgive my ignorance if this is not a defect. The static-like sound increases drastically when "ambient normal mode" is turned on.

I have already exchanged these headphones once and they sound the same so logically this would just be a unfortunate side effect of active noise cancelling, but considering the price I'd rather take no risks on keeping a defective unit.
Headphones sound excellent otherwise!

Thank you for any help.

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,189 of 2,709
Are the mdr1000x's supposed to have a static like sound when noise cancelling is turned on and the volume is low/no music playing?
These are my first noise cancelling headphones so please forgive my ignorance if this is not a defect. The static-like sound increases drastically when "ambient normal mode" is turned on.

I have already exchanged these headphones once and they sound the same so logically this would just be a unfortunate side effect of active noise cancelling, but considering the price I'd rather take no risks on keeping a defective unit.
Headphones sound excellent otherwise!

Thank you for any help.

Yeah I could certainly hear the phase noise when powering them on but I never had music low enough to be able to hear it

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,190 of 2,709
No static when no music playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back