Sony MDR-1000X
Feb 1, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,591 of 2,709
Nitpicking time:
That creaking sound - audible when I tilt my head or move my jaw.
Volume steps are too coarse {Z5c -> mdr1000x} -- double the amount of steps would be ideal.
Random audio cut outs while streaming audio via 2ghz wifi. Using 5Ghz wifi or 4g resolves the issue.
I imagine people in warm climates would experience discomfort. In my climate during wintertime my ears are kept nicely warm.

But these are a good value for what you get: Incredible isolation - I can drive without hearing a noise. They are very portable. Not having to deal with cables is a blessing.
Sony is clearly trying to push their audio devices supporting LDAC with this headphone. LDAC + the 'studio' crossfeed filter enabled (available on most recent Sony smartphones I believe) == quite a good sound. But could you get something better than this in terms of pure sound quality? Yes...even though they have a respectable tuning. But still these are very usable as the only headphone for all purposes - it has an integrated amp :wink: so you can plug your cassette player into one of these and enjoy the hiss in its purest form.

I speculate that there's no point in amping these at all as the sound signal goes to the internal amp anyways, right? Will have to test the TRS connection with them turned off or on depleted battery.
these don't use wifi for audio data transmission. They use Bluetooth.
I agree with Sony playets' dsp effects. I love the studio setting especially with on ear headphones as it widens the stereo image very effectively. The clearbass effect is also about the best bass management system I've encountered on any player.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #1,592 of 2,709
I went back to the QC35 for a day and was surprised by how much I missed the Sonys. For sound quality and controls, and great NC.  If call quality is important to you then I think that is where they fall down a little, but it is less of a big deal for me.  I spend about 12 hours a week on trains and the Sony's (connected to my WM1A via LDAC) have become essential kit for me.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,593 of 2,709
Whilst I slowly work my way through this thread having just bought a set I thought it worth mentioning my experience with phone calls and a quick general question on warranties.

Unfortunately IME They are not great for phone calls with the first person I spoke to immediately asking what was wrong with my mic and suggesting I was in a bathroom.  I gave up on that call as was business but a subsequent test to my wife found that used with the Ambient sound mode enabled rather than ANC she was able to hear me much better.  However she didn't get the same 'bathroom' effect so not sure if it was my surroundings (indoors for first call) or something else.

Will keep experimenting but not holding breath at this stage for use on the phone, however I do love the other features and sound better than my other cans plugged into my phone (still to try amped as there is no comparison connected to PC but lose the NC feature)

Q - (not Sony specific)  First set of fancy electronic orientated earphones so being a mobile device which could well break in use I am tempted to get an extended warranty to cover them for 3 years from mishaps etc.  But can also return current set and pick up for £50 less at the airport next time I fly.  Anyone else consider such protection?

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #1,594 of 2,709

Nitpicking time:
That creaking sound - audible when I tilt my head or move my jaw.
Volume steps are too coarse {Z5c -> mdr1000x} -- double the amount of steps would be ideal.
Random audio cut outs while streaming audio via 2ghz wifi. Using 5Ghz wifi or 4g resolves the issue.
I imagine people in warm climates would experience discomfort. In my climate during wintertime my ears are kept nicely warm.

But these are a good value for what you get: Incredible isolation - I can drive without hearing a noise. They are very portable. Not having to deal with cables is a blessing.
Sony is clearly trying to push their audio devices supporting LDAC with this headphone. LDAC + the 'studio' crossfeed filter enabled (available on most recent Sony smartphones I believe) == quite a good sound. But could you get something better than this in terms of pure sound quality? Yes...even though they have a respectable tuning. But still these are very usable as the only headphone for all purposes - it has an integrated amp
wink.gif
so you can plug your cassette player into one of these and enjoy the hiss in its purest form.

I speculate that there's no point in amping these at all as the sound signal goes to the internal amp anyways, right? Will have to test the TRS connection with them turned off or on depleted battery.

these don't use wifi for audio data transmission. They use Bluetooth.
I agree with Sony playets' dsp effects. I love the studio setting especially with on ear headphones as it widens the stereo image very effectively. The clearbass effect is also about the best bass management system I've encountered on any player.

FYI:
wifi and bluetooth sit on the same frequency band
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

Quote from http://www.goldtouch.com/stop-bluetooth-interference-messing-devices/:
To communicate between your devices, Bluetooth sends signals over a 2.4GHz radio frequency. This becomes problematic when other nearby devices are also using that frequency. Wi-Fi is perhaps the biggest and most problematic example, as are other Bluetooth receivers and devices, which can interfere with one another. That said, even microwaves can cause Bluetooth interference with your devices. So can Direct Satellite Service (DSS), 2.4GHz and 5GHz phones, wireless speakers, external monitors, baby monitors, and really any wireless device that uses Bluetooth technology.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,597 of 2,709
Just to add to those talking about an almost wind like noise/distortion - except I was getting this on a bus with no drafts etc - seems to be a point the ANC actually starts introducing other noise and once noticed was REALLY annoying me :frowning2:  Was almost like distortion

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #1,598 of 2,709

How is LDAC compared to wired mode?

I just got the 1000x and I've been testing them on my ZX1 and ZX2. For best results, I run them wired with the NC (and associated DSEE HX) engaged. Only in the ZX2 the wired sound is very very very slightly better (more low end, wider soundstage, better separation), but I suspect this is the DSEE HX EQ'ing the ZX2. Overall LDAC with the 1000x is absolutely amazing - it is especially apparent when I connect the headphone to an iDevice.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,600 of 2,709
Feb 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,601 of 2,709
Please enlighten me on what the practical danger is.

Considering most states have made driving with earphones / headphones illegal, there's the legal risk.

There's also the possibility of inaudibility of a warning sound made in a panic situation.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,602 of 2,709
Please enlighten me on what the practical danger is.

Considering most states have made driving with earphones / headphones illegal, there's the legal risk.

There's also the possibility of inaudibility of a warning sound made in a panic situation.

Well I'm not in the US. I guess the worst is not hearing honks... We don't use much of that around here anyways :D

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,603 of 2,709
Just got myself Walkman NWZ-A15 Black and I have to admit I like it - the main benefit here is the removeable volume cap which means that there is volume headroom to enjoy live recordings and properly mastered (not the modern overly compressed) tracks. There's also LDAC which means the least amount of compression/quality loss and of course the price was attractive (I got if for 139 eur delivered). One plus is the possibility to adjust the sound experience with EQ (and other sound processing features) which the newer A35 lacks. Now the 1000x gets to spread its wings :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,605 of 2,709
Hi guys, I'm looking forward to buy MDR 1000X because I heard it's the best ANC headphone right now with the best SQ.. Right now my main headphones are Philips Fidelio X2 & Audeze SINE, connected to my PC w/ Fiio e17k or straight to my iPhone 7 plus. Can you guys answer a few of my question?

1. How is the sound quality compared to these headphones that I own (Philips Fidelio X2 & Audeze SINE)? Is it comparable or a notch below or maybe even above?
2. Can you use the MDR 1000X wired using micro USB (like bypassing from source to DAC)? And if it's possible, will it improve the sound quality?
3. Is the wired SQ using 3,5 mm jack much better than using Bluetooth?

Thank you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back