Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 12, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #1,441 of 2,709
My impression after 2 weeks.

- NC optimiser helps reduce AC hiss / white noise / cabin pressure. Try using it in quiet environment. MDR-1000x ANC hiss/noise/pressure is about the same level as QC35 and by far better than any Sennheiser ANC headphones. And you can turn it off in quiet places unlike the Bose.

- Creaking is completely gone after a quick fix using dry lube.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818871/sony-mdr-1000x/1275#post_13127555

- ANC working very good at my relatively quiet home environment. You will find your home is noisier than you might think. Lower volume (with same details) is good for your ears.
[/
"Deleted by user"

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,442 of 2,709
just got my pair, I have only seen the black in person but decided on the beige ones. Good choice since I like the look of my silver mdr1a.

Going to have to compare the sound between the 1000 and mdr1a. I have been using the mdr1a with aptx receivers so will be interesting.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,444 of 2,709
Can anyone offer feedback on running the 1000x wireless vs corded? I'm under the impression Bluetooth is still not able to offer the same detail or sound stage as cable but want to see if anyone can offer person experience.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,446 of 2,709
  Can anyone offer feedback on running the 1000x wireless vs corded? I'm under the impression Bluetooth is still not able to offer the same detail or sound stage as cable but want to see if anyone can offer person experience.

I haven't heard any difference. When corded impedance is 14 ohms, the volume is high but that's all.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,447 of 2,709
I'd say It depends on your source. BT has a 320kbps limit for audio (in standard form)

If you are listening to 256kbps audio I doubt there will be any difference to notice.

However, ramp up to something like Tidal at 1411kbps and I think there is a difference. Not massive, but it's there.

The processing on the headset does a very good job to smooth things out.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #1,448 of 2,709

There are two modes you can run the headphones in while plugged in. One mode is wired and powered on with NC, ambient sound modes, and all the touch features. The volume reaches a touch higher than wireless, but the overall sound is retained and is very similiar. Differences are very subtle between this and wireless. It sounds great. This would of course be good for listening to hi-res tracks, streaming from tidal, etc...

The other wired mode is with the headphones powered off. This would really be used when the batteries run out. The headphones lose some of their resolving power and the bass is boosted a good deal. The lower mids have bass bloating into it. While the sound quality isn't very good by comparison, I found it to be surprisingly listenable. I would have no problems listening to tunes in this mode if the batteries had died. Because of the added bass quanity and seeming impact, I may listen in this mode for electronic music or hip hop every now and then, but probably not very often.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,449 of 2,709
Thanks all for the feedback. This has been very helpful. I spend a lot of time on planes with my DAP (Calyx M) + IEM (Dita Truth & Campfire Jupiter). After 3+ hours the IEMs become fatigue so I've been looking for a good closed back option. I tried the 1000x in Chicago airport this week and was really impressed by the sound. Not sure if I'm ready to ditch my DAP (not Bluetooth) and go back to iPhone as a source but this triple threat of good sound, great isolation, and wireless is tempting. I'll keep you posted if I finally pull the trigger. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,450 of 2,709
Just brought these headphones :headphones:
Do you have to give them a charge when you first get them or are they fully charged

Lastly this is my first pair of noise cancelling headphones and after testing them I had a slight pressure in my ears like mild ear ache is this normal?

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,451 of 2,709
Do you have to give them a charge when you first get them or are they fully charged

There should be some charge in them (about 50% ?) so you shouldn't need to charge them right away. You can check the charge level easily: once the heaphones are powered on just press the power button briefly and a female voice will tell you the charge level.

Lastly this is my first pair of noise cancelling headphones and after testing them I had a slight pressure in my ears like mild ear ache is this normal?

This is normal but sensitivity to the negative effect depends on the individual - the feeling will go away if you play music/any sound while the headphones are on. I found out that for me the feeling of ear ache arrives within 30 mins upon activating the NC with no sound. As far as music/movies/podcasts/audio books go you can enjoy these for hours and will not experience any negative effects.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,452 of 2,709
Thanks for the reply :) so helpful

I thought this may be normal with the pressure

I charged them for a couple of hours and the battery level is high

One last question, are they water proof can you use them when raining?

There should be some charge in them (about 50% ?) so you shouldn't need to charge them right away. You can check the charge level easily: once the heaphones are powered on just press the power button briefly and a female voice will tell you the charge level.

This is normal but sensitivity to the negative effect depends on the individual - the feeling will go away if you play music/any sound while the headphones are on. I found out that for me the feeling of ear ache arrives within 30 mins upon activating the NC with no sound. As far as music/movies/podcasts/audio books go you can enjoy these for hours and will not experience any negative effects.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,453 of 2,709
Finally decided to purchase these from the local best buy in Canada.  Was a little concerned as there's no return policy for headphones at Best Buy.  But thanks to the mostly positive posts on this forum I've decided to take the plunge and couldn't be happier.  These headphones are comfortable, have great noise cancellation, and have a great feature set.  I originally planned to use these mainly for travel but will likely use these as my daily headphone. I'm not too concerned with the creaking as there is a simple fix for that. 

I do have a couple questions:
Regarding charging...  how many folks just plug this into their smartphone charger?  Is there certain chargers (i.e. high current chargers) that I should avoid?

Also, can I assume that the Bluetooth priority setting is only for folks with Android phones?  I can't seem to get this working for my iPhone 7 Plus.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,454 of 2,709
  Finally decided to purchase these from the local best buy in Canada.  Was a little concerned as there's no return policy for headphones at Best Buy.  But thanks to the mostly positive posts on this forum I've decided to take the plunge and couldn't be happier.  These headphones are comfortable, have great noise cancellation, and have a great feature set.  I originally planned to use these mainly for travel but will likely use these as my daily headphone. I'm not too concerned with the creaking as there is a simple fix for that. 

I do have a couple questions:
Regarding charging...  how many folks just plug this into their smartphone charger?  Is there certain chargers (i.e. high current chargers) that I should avoid?

Also, can I assume that the Bluetooth priority setting is only for folks with Android folks?  I can't seem to get this working for my iPhone 7 Plus.

Thanks in advance!

I charge mine using various sources from smartphone chargers, batteries and computer usb ports.  No issues with any of them.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,455 of 2,709
Thanks all for the feedback. This has been very helpful. I spend a lot of time on planes with my DAP (Calyx M) + IEM (Dita Truth & Campfire Jupiter). After 3+ hours the IEMs become fatigue so I've been looking for a good closed back option. I tried the 1000x in Chicago airport this week and was really impressed by the sound. Not sure if I'm ready to ditch my DAP (not Bluetooth) and go back to iPhone as a source but this triple threat of good sound, great isolation, and wireless is tempting. I'll keep you posted if I finally pull the trigger. 

No one said u need to drop your dac. Use the hp with a cable. Ull enjoy your dap the nc and the sq and comfort of these cans

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back