Sony MDR-1000X
Jan 1, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,306 of 2,709

Decided to purchase a second pair whilst i have the option to return first pair. That way I can compare units rather than have to send one back and wait and repeat.
Going champagne to see if there is a difference ( i know probably totaly unfounded belief they should be different but anyway)

Happy to report that the second pair ( Beige ones ) have absolutely no creaking so happy camper again. What was interesting to see ( guess harder to spot on the black ones) is that there is a bit of material removed from behind the gimbals where we all suspect the noise is coming from. It just looks like the area behind the hinges is about a mm recessed which may explain why this pair is creak free!

I will need to figure our how to add a picture to show it !

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #1,307 of 2,709
Isn't it counterproductive to play DSD over bluetooth? There's gotta be some DSD -> PCM conversion to get it to play nice with the Bluetooth codecs.

Do you have a DAC that plays Native DSD or DoP?

an iphone by itself cannot decode dsd...the onkyo app is converting dsd to pcm and then whatever format is being sent via BT. 

i only use DSD with an appropriate dac (ha2, for example) and wired headphone. i don't think DSD over BT is even possible.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #1,308 of 2,709
If I remember correctly BT aptX only has bandwidth to transmit 24bit-96kHz audio so playing DSD and sending it over BT won't buy you much.  LDAC which is a proprietary CODEC from Sony will supposedly provided significantly higher bandwidth.  I don't know the specs but can attest that running LDAC provides a more full and detailed sound replication over aptX i.e. better. 

I linked an interesting page below which compares aptX with SBC and 320Kbps MP3 codecs:  
http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best

Here is a link to a Sony page explaining LDAC:
http://www.sony.net/Products/LDAC/

Lastly, here is the Wikipedia page on aptX:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,309 of 2,709

The Bluetooth Connection is the best i´ve ever had. No interrupts although using “Priority on sound quality” mode.
But i noticed much BT interruptions if the battery is almost low/empty, can someone confirm this ?

MfG

Seems it depends on the clothes not battery !
I have some interrupts only with a winter down jacket.

Btw my USB Charger shows constant 0,4A Charging Power up to 1375mAh

A thing that annoys me ist the not available warning to the near end of battery.

"Battery level low" is the last Status for a few of hours.

The last Status "Please recharge headset" is unfortunely simultaneously with real power off.
Very bad in practise, could never know how long the battery is working in low status :frowning2:

For Example my Jabra Revo repeats all 10min the very last warning battery level low, please recharge a few hours

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,310 of 2,709
I've had a pair of mdr1000x headphones for about three weeks now.  Had ordered both the Sony and Bose QC35.  The Bose went back the very next day for its underwhelming SQ.

As for the Sony, NC is great (works extraordinarily in the office; in the car everthing over 100km/h produces an annoying tone), audio quality very good.  Sony replaced my Sure SRH940 for the office, at home I'm using an HD800 non-S.

Had two issues at first:

- creaking noise in both earcups; carefully sand-papered all four edges wit micro-mesh,  creaking is almost completely gone.

- found them very uncomfortable in the beginning.  In the meantime it's got much better, can wear them for a couple of hours now.

BT in conjunction with S7 edge is outstanding.

BLUF:

Great headphones for an acceptable price; wished there was less plastics though...

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,311 of 2,709
I've had a pair of mdr1000x headphones for about three weeks now.  Had ordered both the Sony and Bose QC35.  The Bose went back the very next day for its underwhelming SQ.

As for the Sony, NC is great (works extraordinarily in the office; in the car everthing over 100km/h produces an annoying tone), audio quality very good.  Sony replaced my Sure SRH940 for the office, at home I'm using an HD800 non-S.

Had two issues at first:

- creaking noise in both earcups; carefully sand-papered all four edges wit micro-mesh,  creaking is almost completely gone.

- found them very uncomfortable in the beginning.  In the meantime it's got much better, can wear them for a couple of hours now.

BT in conjunction with S7 edge is outstanding.

BLUF:

Great headphones for an acceptable price; wished there was less plastics though...

I've had almost the exact same experience, including sanding and S7. Fully agree. Less plastic would have been a differentiation.

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,314 of 2,709

ANC works best for droning/humming noises, such as a plane engine or the ambient noise in a big city. Your TV/laptop is going to be playing sounds that are somewhat transient (fast and only occurring once) so ANC wouldn't be able to cancel them effectively.

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #1,315 of 2,709
Yep. The NC works by canceling out the original noise by creating an "counter or opposite" noise. So the more consistent the noise the better the NC will work i.e. noise from a jet engine.   But it does work against speech and laptop noise just not as well.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #1,317 of 2,709
   i don't think DSD over BT is even possible.

Not only is this possible, I (and many others) have been doing just that for well over a year.  Besides a pair of LDAC-compatible headphones, which I assume you already have if you own the 1000x, all you need is either an Xperia phone from the last couple of years (anything later then the Z3) or any Sony Walkman (a cheaper A-series would do just fine).

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,318 of 2,709
  If I remember correctly BT aptX only has bandwidth to transmit 24bit-96kHz audio 

No, not quite.  AptX gets pretty close to reproducing Redbook FLAC without compression and, therefore, is known as a 'near-lossless' codec.

LDAC, on the other hand, is currently the only codec capable of playing back 24-bit 96 kHz over bluetooth, which is sufficient to play most DSD's.  Any tracks mastered in 192 kHz will be downsampled to 96 kHz during playback.  For comparison,  AptX HD can only do up to 24 bit 48 kHz.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,319 of 2,709

Not only is this possible, I (and many others) have been doing just that for well over a year.  Besides a pair of LDAC-compatible headphones, which I assume you already have if you own the 1000x, all you need is either an Xperia phone from the last couple of years (anything later then the Z3) or any Sony Walkman (a cheaper A-series would do just fine).

No, not quite.  AptX gets pretty close to reproducing Redbook FLAC without compression and, therefore, is known as a 'near-lossless' codec.

LDAC, on the other hand, is currently the only codec capable of playing back 24-bit 96 kHz over bluetooth, which is sufficient to play most DSD's.  Any tracks mastered in 192 kHz will be downsampled to 96 kHz during playback.  For comparison,  AptX HD can only do up to 24 bit 48 kHz.

cool. thanks for the info. i do not have a sony walkman but know that LDAC promised higher bandwidth...i guess it's enough to stream DSD, as you say. the post i referred to originally was about the onkyo hd player and the iphone and streaming DSD, which i know is not possible as apple devices don't use aptx, let alone LDAC. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #1,320 of 2,709

the post i referred to originally was about the onkyo hd player and the iphone and streaming DSD, which i know is not possible as apple devices don't use aptx, let alone LDAC. 

It's not just the software though.  The hardware DAC used by Apple is not capable of playing back hi-res audio.  If you have hi-res capable hardware, then you need a hi-res capable player such as PowerAmp or Sony Music to take advantage of it when decoding DSD or hi-res FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back