Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 2, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #991 of 2,709
You really should do yourself a favor and listen to the Sony's. They're fantastic. These folks preferring the Bose...I just don't know what to say. The MDR-1000x must have been defective. Not even close in terms of sound quality.
You may find the QC35's mid/treble OK - most people do, I seem to be the only one that finds them irritable and that's only with poorly recorded low quality early 60's & 70's stuff, more recent stuff sounds really good to me but they seem very unforgiving (gritty sibilance) with poor recordings, again IMHO....
The P7's in comparison are very smooth across the mids/top but perhaps have just a shade too much upper-bass boost with some recordings.

I personally wouldn't buy the Sony's - too many not-so-good reports of creaking/hiss and other foibles - I would also be worried about the amount of tech crammed into them - not sure but I think that with no power they sound a bit ordinary? 
The P7's in comparison will sound exactly the same without any power and they seem to be designed to last longer than just the warranty period - have been bitten may times with Sony stuff dying just outside the warranty... :frowning2:

The Senn 550's still interest me a lot - I might have to try and find a pair for an extended listen - I only managed to play with them for 10mins or so but didn't find them as impressive as my QC35's at the time. The audio quality of the QC35's is really beginning to bug me when I play my old recordings, the P7's are much more tolerant for this stuff...

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #995 of 2,709
Sorry if this has been answered but it's quite a large thread; I have a pair of mdr-100abn currently. I like them, I like the sound profile and how not overly bassy it is. I despise my old Momentum headphones in comparison.

Is there a meaningful upgrade in audio quality from those headphones to these? I feel like the 100abn is pretty great but could maybe do with a bit of extra "oomph" on drum kicks and low ends, without the bass becoming dominating. Anyone switched from the old pair to these and have a comparison? The noise cancellation isn't a key feature to me.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #996 of 2,709
@tgd4815 - I'm actually taking the other route and have placed my 1000X up for sale. The SQ of the two are very close (TBH, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference despite A/B'ing them) but the 1000X certainly holds the edge in being superior in ANC and not being afflicted much by wind noise (the ABN's have better isolation as they seal very nicely around my ears and have slightly deeper pads). I really don't plan on traveling with these and plan on mostly using the ABN's at home so given that, I couldn't justify the extra cost of the 1000X. That's of course my subjective impressions, hopefully others who have/had both can chime in.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #997 of 2,709
@tgd4815
 - I'm actually taking the other route and have placed my 1000X up for sale. The SQ of the two are very close (TBH, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference despite A/B'ing them) but the 1000X certainly holds the edge in being superior in ANC and not being afflicted much by wind noise (the ABN's have better isolation as they seal very nicely around my ears and have slightly deeper pads). I really don't plan on traveling with these and plan on mostly using the ABN's at home so given that, I couldn't justify the extra cost of the 1000X. That's of course my subjective impressions, hopefully others who have/had both can chime in.

Thanks, that seems to be the general thoughts I've seen. I may stick with what I have then. I really do find the sound of the 100abn to be pretty close to my tastes, so without any real upgrade in that area it's not worth the money. It's just impossible not to constantly have that itch to upgrade :wink:

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #1,002 of 2,709
has anyone used them for workout ?

I really wouldn't

I used some Sony MDR-750BNs and the sweat from my workouts caused the ear pads to fall apart, they smelt awful and left black bits on my ears.

The ear pads were replaced for $13.99 (per side) but I see this as a gym consumable now.

Doing this to my 1000''s is not something I'm planning.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,003 of 2,709
oh alright btw are they good for blocking high pitch voices?

Well, when there isn't any music playing it tends to block out 70% of noises and. However when there is a music playing it blocks out everything, I literally can't hear anything. And it tends to block out high pitched noises well also, but don't quote me on that side j haven't used them too much.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,004 of 2,709
I really wouldn't

I used some Sony MDR-750BNs and the sweat from my workouts caused the ear pads to fall apart, they smelt awful and left black bits on my ears.

The ear pads were replaced for $13.99 (per side) but I see this as a gym consumable now.

Doing this to my 1000''s is not something I'm planning.

I got a quick question for you, Richard. When you shake your head with the headphones on, do you hear a light thump sound? Like if the drivers were moving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back