Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 2, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #977 of 2,709
Is it normal to hear a "thump" when I shake my head while wearing the MDR 1000X? Is this the dreaded creaking sound you guys are talking about? Or do I just got a defective unit, and should I return them? Thank you very much for the help!

Can you try and describe the sound. Does the "thump" sound mechanical or do you think it's caused by the electronics?

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #978 of 2,709
1000X Sound quality

Have been listening for about 2 weeks now and like many others feel the sound quality is excellent even compared to non-noise cancelling and is a premiere bluetooth headphone.

Does anyone else find these to be very "revealing" headphones for Bluetooth and NC. I am hearing things (both good and bad) in my music that I only heard while listening to higher end IEM's years ago ( Ety's, Ultimate ears, Shure's etc.)

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #979 of 2,709
Well
Can you try and describe the sound. Does the "thump" sound mechanical or do you think it's caused by the electronics?

Well, it kinda sounds like the driver is moving, but I'm not sure. The best I can describe it is like a slight knocking on a door kinda of a sound. Maybe you can try it out and see if it does the same thing. Just slightly shake your head to the side and see if it does that sound. It doesn't really happen when I am walking on stairs or steps. However, thank you very much for your help!

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #980 of 2,709
Quick question. Do you get a light thumping sound when you shake your head to the side. It sounds like someone lightly knocking on a door. If not, what do you think could be causing this problem, could it be my head bumping into the headphones?

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #983 of 2,709
Nope, not even close to a wall. I think that the driver is too loose. Or it could be that my head is bumping into the headphones, since I probably don't have a good seal with the headphones. Do you think I should return them for this reason?

Could it be head shape/size? Maybe you can ask a friend whether they hear the same thing while wearing your headphones. I'd replace them if mine made a noise.

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #985 of 2,709
I received my new Mdr today - Japan import - and this one is perfect. No creaking whatsoever.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Japan import? Are they made in Malaysia too?

It's Friday so I finally had time to practice my dedicated-but-poor cooking skills and realized that this time the 1000X are not creaking when I move around the kitchen. So the sandpaper thing really solved the issue.... I'd say, 80-90% of it. There's still a noise or two with fast movements but they're rare and acceptable now. I only sanded it for a couple of minutes, so I'm quite confident that with 5 min more the noise will be gone forever.

Apparently lots of units like yours have bigger gaps and don't rub/squeak. Maybe Sony adjusted that by now. I'm finally liking them a lot and realized that in a somewhat accidental way I ended up with three Sony headphones. Not sure if that makes me a Sony fanboy, but that was not the plan.
cool.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #987 of 2,709

Japan import? Are they made in Malaysia too?

It's Friday so I finally had time to practice my dedicated-but-poor cooking skills and realized that this time the 1000X are not creaking when I move around the kitchen. So the sandpaper thing really solved the issue.... I'd say, 80-90% of it. There's still a noise or two with fast movements but they're rare and acceptable now. I only sanded it for a couple of minutes, so I'm quite confident that with 5 min more the noise will be gone forever.

Apparently lots of units like yours have bigger gaps and don't rub/squeak. Maybe Sony adjusted that by now. I'm finally liking them a lot and realized that in a somewhat accidental way I ended up with three Sony headphones. Not sure if that makes me a Sony fanboy, but that was not the plan.
cool.gif

Yes. Made in Malaysia.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #988 of 2,709
Anyone else thinks that the beige colored MDR-1000X is quite cool? Well, haven't seen the beige in person but they look very cool judging by the pictures I've seen.

That is what I purchased.  Originally, I was purchasing the Black version but by time I ordered the 1000x they only had beige.  I'm actually glad I went with the beige.  They look great and the color is somewhat unique while being classy as you walk through the airport.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #989 of 2,709
December will be quite interesting. B&O (Bang & Olufsen) just announced a new headphone - BeoPlay H9, around ear.
Looks sexy but also quite beefy.

I just love that they use real lambskin leather instead of PU and use metal instead of plastic.

14 hours of operating time on a single charge is quite low though. Hopefully the battery is replaceable like on the H7 (and H8?).

The Danish retail price is just quite ridiculous though. USD 540. Ouch!

If they were any larger they might begin to look like Princess Leia Organa's cinnamon buns. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #990 of 2,709
Anyone else thinks that the beige colored MDR-1000X is quite cool? Well, haven't seen the beige in person but they look very cool judging by the pictures I've seen.

Well, it's in the eye of the beholder. If it sounds good and you enjoy the way it looks, why not?

But the black MDR-1000X looks really good too! I can post some selfies wearing mine! Do you guys wanna check that out?!

Erhm... alright, alright... I'll show myself out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back