Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 26, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #916 of 2,709
I found the music on the 1000x 'unnatural' with the noise cancelling. Bass was too much.
The QC35 bass wasn't thumping. Music sounded more clean too.

I agree with your comments about the QC35 bass/sub-bass - it's tight and you feel it more than hear it - I like it! :)

The Innerfidelity guy nails it IMHO - this is exactly how I feel about the audio quality:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone#ZstV9Crdz1iK8s82.97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kAoDfAVO_8

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #917 of 2,709
​Funny how you describe the QC35 bass as 'just right' and claim the 1000x's bass is too much, when it's actually the complete opposite. If anything, the 1000x's bass is anemic compared to the QC35.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #918 of 2,709
Hello Guys, sorry for my english again.

My MDR1000X arrived this week and it has the disturbing noise to on left ear cup too.

There are two different noises, sometimes a little crease from the earpads that isn´t really annoying.

And the second Sound like a click/click by yawning, eating, moving the lower jaw or head complete, sometimes just by walking.

First time i tried to tighten the screws or screw on, but without success.

Next suggestion it could be a cable inside rubbing at anything, so i shake the headphone :D  No success.

Then i was trying every move to force the clicking noise and success.

I could reproduce the clicking Noise with my hands.

This Movement between this 2 Pictures is the key to the clicking noise.
Little movement between this two positions will force the annoying clicking noise. But only by carry on your head.
If you lock this movement, the clicking noise is away. I locked first time with toilet paper just to fix and test

Later I put little label sticker in each of the four corner.

After this modification there was no clicking noise, and fortunely after removing all Labels from the corner there ist still no clickin annoying Noise
there and i am very very happy with these great headphones.

Don´t really know what affect the noise is disappeared, but perhaps it will give you hope there´s a chance to eliminate.
Since one Day there is silence :)

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #919 of 2,709

My MDR1000X arrived this week and it has the disturbing noise to on left ear cup too.

There are two different noises, sometimes a little crease from the earpads that isn´t really annoying.

And the second Sound like a click/click by yawning, eating, moving the lower jaw or head complete, sometimes just by walking.

Next suggestion it could be a cable inside rubbing at anything, so i shake the headphone :D  No success.

Little movement between this two positions will force the annoying clicking noise. But only by carry on your head.
If you lock this movement, the clicking noise is away. I locked first time with toilet paper just to fix and test

After this modification there was no clicking noise, and fortunely after removing all Labels from the corner there ist still no clickin annoying Noise

Don´t really know what affect the noise is disappeared, but perhaps it will give you hope there´s a chance to eliminate.

Great findings, by the looks of those 2 pictures it would seem like the tolerance of the plastic between the gymbal and the cup is a bit off and that will produce a sound when they rub up against each other, it should be an easy solution with some dry lubricant.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #920 of 2,709
I just got the MDR-1000X this week-end after testing out many headphones before choosing this model. I've just started using them today and will see how they ultimately sound at the end of the week after some burn-in time. I will try to come up with a comparative review from my experience testing them out against Bose QC35, Seenheiser Momentum Wireless and B&W P7 Wireless.

So far though, I have to admit that for a general purpose set of cans that also offer ANC, I am very impressed. They do not provoque a pressure sensation as aggressively as Bose or Sennheiser. They are also louder when used wired than the B&W P7 Wireless when used with an iPhone 7. I'll be back with a real review later.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #921 of 2,709
I just got the MDR-1000X this week-end after testing out many headphones before choosing this model. I've just started using them today and will see how they ultimately sound at the end of the week after some burn-in time. I will try to come up with a comparative review from my experience testing them out against Bose QC35, Seenheiser Momentum Wireless and B&W P7 Wireless.

So far though, I have to admit that for a general purpose set of cans that also offer ANC, I am very impressed. They do not provoque a pressure sensation as aggressively as Bose or Sennheiser. They are also louder when used wired than the B&W P7 Wireless when used with an iPhone 7. I'll be back with a real review later.

Great! Thanks. Have you experience with the QC35? If yes, what's your honest opinion of it?

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #922 of 2,709
Great! Thanks. Have you experience with the QC35? If yes, what's your honest opinion of it?

Hey A.Mir as a fellow headfier from DK i can attest to the 1000x as being a really good set of cans that is a better overall proposition then the QC35s or the pxc550. And i work in a company where we get to test the PXCs :) But i guess its also a case of different strokes for different folks.  

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #923 of 2,709
Well, I guess I'm keeping my MDR-1000X after all.

Yesterday I initiated the return process on Amazon, well, tried to, because the site complained that the limit to send them was 27th Nov and they could not be returned anymore. And yesterday was 27th Nov. Might have been a glitch.

But I ended up using that as an excuse to keep them. Sound quality is good, ANC is handy sometimes, comfort is pretty good (the size/shape of the pads fits my ears perfectly, I lucked out on this one) and the touch panel remains practical.

I have to say that the reason I didn't return them before is that the annoying plastic creaking seems to have diminished a lot. It's still there, but they don't creak and squeak at the tiniest motion (like flexing your jaw) anymore. I'm not sure if this will get worse with time or if the plastics just got a bit looser and smoothed out in a way that helped.  Still not perfect for the price, but tolerable.

I'm quite certain that installing some rubber rings in the right points on the frame and cups would probably eliminate the squeaks 100%, but I'm too clumsy to dare such surgery.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #924 of 2,709

Good find!  Good to hear another practical suggestion here.

So far the creaking issue has been considerably reduced on my MDR-1000X after my "fix", and it's been a few days, so I'm a happy owner.

Enjoy your new HP! :)

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #925 of 2,709
  Well, I guess I'm keeping my MDR-1000X after all.

Yesterday I initiated the return process on Amazon, well, tried to, because the site complained that the limit to send them was 27th Nov and they could not be returned anymore. And yesterday was 27th Nov. Might have been a glitch.

But I ended up using that as an excuse to keep them. Sound quality is good, ANC is handy sometimes, comfort is pretty good (the size/shape of the pads fits my ears perfectly, I lucked out on this one) and the touch panel remains practical.

I have to say that the reason I didn't return them before is that the annoying plastic creaking seems to have diminished a lot. It's still there, but they don't creak and squeak at the tiniest motion (like flexing your jaw) anymore. I'm not sure if this will get worse with time or if the plastics just got a bit looser and smoothed out in a way that helped.  Still not perfect for the price, but tolerable.

I'm quite certain that installing some rubber rings in the right points on the frame and cups would probably eliminate the squeaks 100%, but I'm too clumsy to dare such surgery.

I think long-term, the creaking issue will be reduced as those plastics get smoothed-out by rubbing against other plastics.  My unit is also pretty tolerable now with regards to this issue, so I enjoy it much more as my daily portable cans.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #926 of 2,709
@Powerwolf Here's my previous post on my initial fix (baby powder to prevent the plastics from rubbing together): http://www.head-fi.org/t/818871/sony-mdr-1000x/825#post_13015691 - I also tried putting masking tapes instead of powder.  Of course I cleaned the powder and removed the tapes already (used them on my HP for about 2 days) - since the creaks have been greatly reduced.  :)

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #927 of 2,709
Interesing findings cpauya. That somewhat matches my impression from playing with the frame and might explain why the noise is reduced with time (plastic wears out).

I'm going to give it a try with some tape, although there's still some annoyance. At this price band one should not need such fixes.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #928 of 2,709
Interesing findings @cpauya. That somewhat matches my impression from playing with the frame and might explain why the noise is reduced with time (plastic wears out).

I'm going to give it a try with some tape, although there's still some annoyance. At this price band one should not need such fixes.

True, price-range does not justify the build quality based on this unit.  

I've been so tolerant because I want wireless cans with good SQ and NC (+Ambient Sound), fit my ears, and that I can wear for hours. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #929 of 2,709
I wrote a big post that just got lost due to an electronic gremlin, so here's the summary :

Use sandpaper on the contact points in the same area where cpauya put the tape (photo in previous post).

I spent some time sanding the 4 edges and the plastic noise was greatly reduced. Almost zero now except when putting pressure on the cups. No more noise with jaw clenching, moving head normally, etc. Fully acceptable now and truly silent almost all the time.

I had no patience to sand it enough today but with a few more minutes of work the remaining noise while pressing the cups will probably be fully gone too.

Sucks we have to sandpaper 400 USD/EUR headphones, but at least there is a solution.

Get that edge rounded and with enough gap and no more squeaking. There's the occasional noise of the pleather pads but that's only audible in silence and happens with pretty much any PU pads.

I now have two Sony units I'm happy with, and only one needs to be shipped with a sheet of sandpaper. :D

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #930 of 2,709
CYBER MONDAY,

Bought my 1000x at Best Buy about 10 days ago for $399. Just got back from store and got $50 credit for cyber Monday sale of $ 349. Amazon and B&H are on sale for $349 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back