Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 22, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #888 of 2,709
just got my mdr's last night and wow they sound much better than the QC35's.  I also went with black this time around and they look sharp.

I'll have to keep an ear out for the squeaking.  I really like how the conversation mode works.   Really neat.

As far as comfort so far so good.  much better than the momentum.s but not as relaxed as the QC35s. 

does someone want the uPc manufacturing info ?

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #889 of 2,709
Writing this inside a noisy airplane cabin.
I bought both the P7 and the 1000x to test them during this long transatlantic trip. As I mentioned before, due to sound quality demands I always resorted to my CIEMS, but always found them uncomfortable with cabin pressure changes and the cable is also bothersome when Im trying to sleep, move around the cabin and so on.

Let me say that now Im convinced that if you are a heavy commuter, air or land, Noise Cancelling full size headphones are the way to go. I dont remember traveling with such quality comfort, the previous NC headphones I had tried were comfortable (some) but could not take the crappy sound quality...

After this trip, I know im keeping the 1000x. This is a first. And no, they are not ultra-audiophile but I must say they are more than satisfying for the tasks I ask of them, so yes, the sound quality has convinced my carefully trained audiophile ears. The P7's are nice but NC is not even close, besides, I own better quality closed cans, no reason to keep them, I was just curious how strong was the passive cancellation.

BTW, no creaking or anything strange. Just pure traveling bliss.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #890 of 2,709
I just did my first flight too from Copenhagen to Madrid and back so total of 6 hours of flying time. First thing that i noticed was that it was nice to  NOT be like every other business traveler with their bose headphones.  

In terms of NC this were very good if not for being overly critical. I would say close to 90% of background noise was eliminated. You could ocassionally hear some higher frequencies and voices every now and then.

I used it primarily wired with an amp to get the best sound save on batteries and enjoy the NC. Its the most flexible pair of NCs in this regard. 

And i can tell you that sonically this things impress. With an amp you really see that Sony knows its engineering.  

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #891 of 2,709
Sony MDR 1000X Battery Widget

For those using an iPhone how do you find the accuracy of the battery widget on the iPhone. I am not talking about the small battery indicator at the top of the home page next to the bluetooth symbol but the widget that shows the percentage if you swipe the homescreen to go to the notification center.

After a few hours mine went from 100% to 90% then to 70%. Now it seems like its been on 70% for a long time. The headphone says it's still on medium power.

Does anyone know if it increments in 10's on the iPhone?

After about another 9 hours of play the indicator jumped to 20% and the headphone says "battery power low"
It looks like it stayed on 70% during the entire medium power period then jumped to 20%. 
Not very accurate!

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #892 of 2,709
  Sony MDR 1000X Battery Widget

For those using an iPhone how do you find the accuracy of the battery widget on the iPhone. I am not talking about the small battery indicator at the top of the home page next to the bluetooth symbol but the widget that shows the percentage if you swipe the homescreen to go to the notification center.

After a few hours mine went from 100% to 90% then to 70%. Now it seems like its been on 70% for a long time. The headphone says it's still on medium power.

Does anyone know if it increments in 10's on the iPhone?

After about another 9 hours of play the indicator jumped to 20% and the headphone says "battery power low"
It looks like it stayed on 70% during the entire medium power period then jumped to 20%. 
Not very accurate!

It only has 3 memories of battery voltage IMO. When the battery is at max voltage to a certain voltage drop, it will indicate 100 - 70 %. If the battery voltage drops to a critical voltage, it will display 20% capacity or less. It's kinda like the battery bars on Beats headphones.

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #893 of 2,709

It only has 3 memories of battery voltage IMO. When the battery is at max voltage to a certain voltage drop, it will indicate 100 - 70 %. If the battery voltage drops to a critical voltage, it will display 20% capacity or less. It's kinda like the battery bars on Beats headphones.

OK thanks. That's right in line with what I experienced. Too bad it isn't more accurate. I am not familiar with the Beats headphones.

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #894 of 2,709
I have been testing these for quite a while and the one thing that annoys me most is that they are useless for calls outdoors. It seems that whenever there is some noticeable degree of outside noise, the microphone on these does not work well and people do not understand you at all.

When you go to a relatively noiseless place (like inside a home or an office) microphone seems to work ok (not great, though).

Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #895 of 2,709
I'd like to know much pressure the NC puts on your ears and if it may cause nausea.
The Bose QC25 and QC35 made me dizzy and I felt nauseous afer like 30min.
Though I felt fine with the QC20 in ears.

Also, do you guys experience NC artefacts like loud plopping when for example train doors have been shut and sudden shifts in air pressure occur.
The QC20 was really bad in that regard.

Thanks

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #896 of 2,709
I have been testing these for quite a while and the one thing that annoys me most is that they are useless for calls outdoors. It seems that whenever there is some noticeable degree of outside noise, the microphone on these does not work well and people do not understand you at all.

When you go to a relatively noiseless place (like inside a home or an office) microphone seems to work ok (not great, though).

Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks!

Yes, that's my experience too. I don't mind as I don't use them for calls, but I wish they didn't have the issue at all. Works best with NC off in calls anyway.

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #897 of 2,709
I'd like to know much pressure the NC puts on your ears and if it may cause nausea.
The Bose QC25 and QC35 made me dizzy and I felt nauseous
 afer like 30min.

Also, do you guys experience NC artefacts like loud plopping when for example train doors have been shut and sudden shifts in air pressure occur.

Thanks

Not my experience.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #898 of 2,709
 afer like 30min.

Thanks

Nausea and that pressure feeling is similar to the QC35, in that it's there but it's less apparent when music is playing.

Every NC headphone I've played with have it: it's an inherent trait of them IMO.

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #899 of 2,709
 afer like 30min.

Thanks
if that ear pressure thing is an issue for you, you might want to also look at the PXC 550 as they do not bother me in that regard as much the Bose QC35. I can handle the pressure of the QC35 but certainly notice it a lot more.

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #900 of 2,709
if that ear pressure thing is an issue for you, you might want to also look at the PXC 550 as they do not bother me in that regard as much the Bose QC35. I can handle the pressure of the QC35 but certainly notice it a lot more.

It's a bit better, especially if you use the middle setting. However, it's still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back