Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 3, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #646 of 2,709
The $206 off deal now available at JB hifi on-line - but, as expected - limited stock...

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/headphones/sony/sony-mdr-1000x-noise-cancelling-bluetooth-headphones-black/317222/

Get in quick!

Personally - for that money I would go with the B&W P7 Wireless - I did! Can't fault them - superb audio and brilliant build quality - real leather and chrome :) (No ANC but passive NC is excellent)

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #647 of 2,709
  The $206 off deal now available at JB hifi on-line - but, as expected - limited stock...

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/headphones/sony/sony-mdr-1000x-noise-cancelling-bluetooth-headphones-black/317222/

Get in quick!

Personally - for that money I would go with the B&W P7 Wireless - I did! Can't fault them - superb audio and brilliant build quality - real leather and chrome :) (No ANC but passive NC is excellent)

Well either JB-HiFi or a sophisticated scam merchant has just gotten my money!

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #648 of 2,709
I have some construction work going on at home today, with several guys running around drilling walls. The type of work that makes your neighbors hate you.

I'm at work but girlfriend just messaged me showing the caos and saying that the 1000X are amazing, cancelling all the construction noise (and it's a small apartment). She also paired it with a laptop and is watching a movie, seems all the tap commands work fine with the player. Including pause, etc.

After my tests doing housework, and also using the controls, I decided to keep them. The plastic creaks noise can be annoying when the audio is at lower volumes, during audiobooks, just having them on with no sound just for the ANC, etc.... but it's tolerable. Hinges also seem a bit fragile... not flimsy, but I'd recommend some care while folding/storing as I can see stress fissures appearing on the joints given enough time and rough handling.

I've also tested them in a few phone calls (normal calls and whatsapp) and had no issues at all. The other side can hear me quite well and the touch controls also work fine (volume, hangup, mute/speak mode).

All the pros outweigh this con, so I'm still recommending them, but not at MSRP. They're not worth 400 EUR. If you get them with a decent discount like mine (315) or even less, they they are a great ANC set.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #649 of 2,709
Just got mine from jbhifi today. Sound is pretty good. Better than qc35. All those complaining about low bass, have you applied the anc personalisation feature? I thought the bass was a little tame until I used this feature. Just hold down the nc button a few seconds with the headphones on, and the process happens automatically. Sound and anc is much better.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #650 of 2,709
Hi! Im super interested in this headphones. Anyone know the differences between these (MDR-1000X ) and the MDR100ABN/B? 

I did a comparison. https://youtu.be/EbD0Cknm-w4

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #653 of 2,709
How does they compare to Bose qc35 in terms of sound quality?

Having read and watched various reviews the general consensus seems to be that the Sony's have better sounds quality, the Bose are more comfortable and there is little in it regarding Noise Cancellation (of which both are great).  I did see one review that noted the Bose seemed tuned to work better on planes, but that could be personal taste.

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #654 of 2,709

I think the JB ad is a big mistake, it's probably supposed to be the previous top-of-line ANC set that has the big discount not the new 1000x.
BUT, it's now published and if you get in quick before they publish an apology for the mistake they HAVE to honour the printed deal...
The Senn PXC550 is still a lot dearer, around $600+, the Sony's are the most expensive at $699RRP, Bose are $499 but can be had for $425, $399 if you are good at bargaining...

​Might be cheaper if you get it straight from Amazon UK for the PXC-550. If you come to Asia/Malaysia the MDR-1000x is a lot cheaper, around AUD530 after converting, and they usually have discounts here too.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #656 of 2,709
Eurgh, this is annoying. Either $500 for the new headphones, or $700 for a new phone. Hmmmmm................................

Does JB have a 30 day return period? If so, I'm ordering it.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #657 of 2,709

Get in quick!

Thanks Graham for the heads-up on this.... Just ordered the Sony MDR-1000X from JB Hi-fi. for the advertised price of AU$493.
Hopefully should arrive early next week. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #658 of 2,709
Long time lurker and first time poster..
Picked up the last pair from JB HiFi Elizabeth St Melb today.. the dreaded creak has not been heard yet. Warm sound signature compared to my Bose QC35s, ANC hiss minimal and clamp only moderate, ear pad controls seem responsive, feeling positove after a lot of speculation before buy after first 3 hours of wear.
Miss B

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #659 of 2,709
Long time lurker and first time poster..
Picked up the last pair from JB HiFi Elizabeth St Melb today.. the dreaded creak has not been heard yet. Warm sound signature compared to my Bose QC35s, ANC hiss minimal and clamp only moderate, ear pad controls seem responsive, feeling positove after a lot of speculation before buy after first 3 hours of wear.
Miss B

Welcome.

Except for the creaking I'm happy with them. The creaking is not huge, it's a little plastic squeak, which is perfectly replicated in the video review I posted earlier. To be honest, I suspect that all units will have it, it seems to result from the materials and design of the headband and cups. Some people might find it totally acceptable, others will be nitpicky.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #660 of 2,709
Just demoed a pair today. Sounded great. The NC was amazing. As was the cover a cup spy mode. This was a well worn pair so it clicked. Much less distracting than cable rub though. I think I'll order a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back