Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 20, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #482 of 2,709
  New review:

Basically great as long as you are not expecting bass-heavy headphones.

For a portable, bass-heavy is close to a must for me so if these are bass-lite right off the bat I have to move on.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #483 of 2,709
For a portable, bass-heavy is close to a must for me so if these are bass-lite right off the bat I have to move on.

Bose QC35 would suit you better

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #484 of 2,709
Oct 20, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #485 of 2,709
I'm happy with the QC35 bass, but not happy with the rest of the sound quality.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #487 of 2,709
I tried the Qc 35s and 1000x and nothing a little eq can't fix in terms of bass definatiion but for the rest of the sound spectrum the Sony was better ... The only issue I have is that the Qc 35 feel like pillows and the 1000x the pads are much more stiffer and whilst not uncomfy feels like it should be broken in...

As for NC I couldn't really differentiate between them tbh

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #488 of 2,709
I tried the Qc 35s and 1000x and nothing a little eq can't fix in terms of bass definatiion but for the rest of the sound spectrum the Sony was better ... The only issue I have is that the Qc 35 feel like pillows and the 1000x the pads are much more stiffer and whilst not uncomfy feels like it should be broken in...

As for NC I couldn't really differentiate between them tbh

The pads on the 1000x should break in after a few wears, they were pretty stiff the first time out but they're fine now. The 35s are still a much more comfortable can to wear, but the improved audio in the 1000x makes the tradeoff worth it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #489 of 2,709
Just a head's up for european head-fiers...
They are now at 326 EUR at Amazon Spain, which is the lowest price I've seen in Europe so far (retail is 399)

I've been on the fence on this one but decided to grab a pair at this price. They don't have stock for immediate delivery tho, but knowing Amazon, perhaps it gets delivered a lot sooner.

Jeez, I'm looking like a Sony fanboy now. Need some IEMs but have to get another brand before my signature gets too boring
gs1000.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #490 of 2,709
  New review:

Basically great as long as you are not expecting bass-heavy headphones.

Ahaha, Flossy... reminds me of his Note 7 review.
"Feels good in the hand. Girls, holla at me".
He does have no-nonsense reviews...

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #491 of 2,709

Hi,
Have you had a chance to try the 1000x yet? I'd be very interested in reading your feedback especially compared to your B&W P7.
Thx

No, not yet sorry mate. I hope to get a chance as I am also rather curious about this headphone. I am also very interested in the to be released in 2017 Audio Technica Bluetooth headphone. 45mm driver, plenty of features, Apt x HD, direct digital no DAC. It sounds interesting and I liked the WS99BT quite a bit, but this new AT headphone sounds like it won't come cheap, around $449 British Pounds so in Canada likely around $750. Now if it has the sound to match the price, plus Bluetooth it could be a great investment. Who knows?

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #492 of 2,709
No, not yet sorry mate. I hope to get a chance as I am also rather curious about this headphone.

I had a chance to listen to the p7 wireless today for about 20 min! Here's my humble feedback and personal feeling.
Volume:
First thing I noticed is how loud it is: almost twice as loud as the 1000x (both connected to my iPad).
Sound:
Bass are definitely deeper and more punchy on the p7. Impressive. The 1000x cannot really compete here. But the overall sound quality is still very good on the 1000x, more relaxing I'd say.
Connectivity:
The p7 sounds as good in Bluetooth as plugged into my iPad. The 1000x sounds better to my ears when it's wired. Both connected really fast in Bluetooth.
Features:
You can almost do anything with the 1000x even fast forward your song but controls are disabled while being wired. The P7 is doing a good job with basic (but essential) features like volume up/down, next/previous song, play/pause.
Isolation:
Passive isolation is (surprisingly) good on the P7 but I was still able to hear people whispering and laughing next to me when the music was paused or during silences in songs. People next to me couldn't hear the sound leaking out but maybe the place was too noisy for them to notice. With ANC enabled the 1000x is clearly a winner here. I couldn't hear people talking and barely heard a woman who was laughing out loud, it was faint. I was peacefully enjoying the music in my bubble even at a low volume. Without ANC enabled I must say the 1000x was quite bad in isolating from external noise and sound was leaking out a bit :/

I wish I could have tested the P7 a bit further while commuting but I enjoyed my 1000x on my way back home :)

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #494 of 2,709
I currently own both the P7's and MDR 1000x's and feel torn between the two since while I find the P7's to sound better and more engaging, for office use i noticed I can still hear to much outside noise more then I thought anyway. The MDR1000x's sound good but not what I was expecting from all the reviews I've read raving about them, they are great for ANC though which Im considering for the noisy office and plane rides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back