Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 10, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #256 of 2,709
I bought the 100abn and then they released these about 1 month later and just groaned... I may end up selling the 100abn but only of they dont have the same wind noise issue. I live in a windy environment and will not buy another ANC headphone that suffers with this issue.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #258 of 2,709
@dweaver
 - I should have mine this week so will be able to give you direct feedback vs. 100ABN. This wind issue is also on their MDR-ZX770BN (as well as the hinge creaking but some dry lube took care of that mostly).
awesome I look forward to reading your results :)

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #259 of 2,709
ANC was on, so powered if that's what you mean.

Right, well here is the "problem" though. In powered mode regardless if ANC is on or off, you really not powering the headphone from the Mojo directly in that case , it really just acting as "preamp" to the built in amps, and if you hear "clipping" it means you overloading the input stage of that built in amp, and not really overdriving the drivers in the HP. In any case in that mode using external amplification is a waste, and it should be only used in passive mode. Sure it gets louder since you are giving more voltage to work with, but that's all there is.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #260 of 2,709
Right, well here is the "problem" though. In powered mode regardless if ANC is on or off, you really not powering the headphone from the Mojo directly in that case , it really just acting as "preamp" to the built in amps, and if you hear "clipping" it means you overloading the input stage of that built in amp, and not really overdriving the drivers in the HP. In any case in that mode using external amplification is a waste, and it should be only used in passive mode. Sure it gets louder since you are giving more voltage to work with, but that's all there is.

And i think thats the issue with all NC because of this circuitry and internal amping built in. I have had terrble results with amping when the NC are engaged. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #261 of 2,709

NC and wired works. Tested on my flight. 

I was able to create some distortion on the 1000x when I was on the plane. The engine was very loud today to the point where I could feel/hear it rumbling even under the ANC (my wife even complained about it under the QC35). The ANC did a great job subduing 90% of the noise, but I had to make up the other 10% by cranking up the volume on the Mojo.

Doing so I created some distortion and crackle. These were actually more prominent on the mids and slightly screechy highs. I think some of this is the Mojo's signature pushing those out too much when the volume is high. I will test with some more bass heavy stuff to see what happens.

So you can't amp these like crazy, but I seem to have hit a limit on how much you can under some very high exterior sound duress and cranking up the Mojo. Under normal BT circumstances, you won't hit distortion. The volume in the end was too high anyway and I turned it down a couple notches and the distortion went away.

Would like to hear some other results of amping the 1000x while ANC on. Just one pea in the pod here and I'm sure other equipment could yield other results. So far extremely pleased with the 1000x!

HI could you try amping just in wired without any sort of power and with NC switched off ? Just to test the divers without any circuitry engaged and see if its better ? if there is still any distortion and crackle ? It should not be i hope ? I think the distortion and crackle is due to the NC circuitry and internal amping and not the drivers ?

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #262 of 2,709

HI could you try amping just in wired without any sort of power and with NC switched off ? Just to test the divers without any circuitry engaged and see if its better ? if there is still any distortion and crackle ? It should not be i hope ? I think the distortion and crackle is due to the NC circuitry and internal amping and not the drivers ?

I'm in the middle of a conference so it'll be a couple days before I can sit down with it. I definitely will though. Great input and knowledge, I learned something today :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #263 of 2,709

As I shared here before, I did this tests and passive mode of 1000x still gives distorted sound after some point. So I believe both NC circuit and drivers have some cut off point.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818871/sony-mdr-1000x/195#post_12917139

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #264 of 2,709
Of course all HP's have limits and HPs like these are optimized for the built in amps so the distortion remains very low but at the expense of maximum output. Also keep in mind that the impedance will change with passive mode,since the outboard amp will "see" the driver directly.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #266 of 2,709
These seem to have great potential. Looking forward to a comparison versus the B&O H7.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #267 of 2,709
  @dweaver - I should have mine this week so will be able to give you direct feedback vs. 100ABN. This wind issue is also on their MDR-ZX770BN (as well as the hinge creaking but some dry lube took care of that mostly).

Would you mind explaining what you did?

Sony don't seem to be willing to admit it is an issue, but I really like these headphones :/

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #268 of 2,709
Well duh, all ANC headphone has a problem with strong wind causing noise in one degree or another.. So it's more of a known "quirk" of ANC headphone.
Though it's on the manufacturer to find a way minimize it without compromising ANC performance.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #269 of 2,709
I assume the integrated amp and NC circuits in addition EQ the (cheap?) drivers. Without EQ they sound bad. Which likely is the reason why most Bluetooth or active NC headphones sound bad in passive mode.

When the QC35 was out I was tempted to buy, but in comparison to my AKG K845 they sounded dull, with bloated bass, but possibly just what kids want. Even my modest PX100i for me (!) did well in direct comparison. They NC was great (in the shop), but created an almost claustrophobic feeling. Most reviews claim better sound quality for the Sony, but I am not confident the reviewers that gave 10 out of 10 points for sound ever heard a good passive headphone.

To date in public transport I therefore prefer passive, closed headphones. I used to like inears (in bed, leaned against a headrest, in hot weather), but on longer trips they badly itch in my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back