Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 8, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #226 of 2,709
  Have you heard the H7?

Briefly. I have zero interest since I don't use BT (even though I have the H8) and it doesn't have NC since I only really need these for being on the road. The word on these is fairly good from what I can tell. If B&O does an H9, I bet it'll be an NC version of the H7 which may or may not work for me since I didn't love the H6. The comfort of both the H6 and H7 are superb, and it's real leather. B&O got the premium right (YMMV, of course). I also like the fact B&O doesn't do just boring black or silver cans.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #227 of 2,709

Briefly. I have zero interest since I don't use BT (even though I have the H8) and it doesn't have NC since I only really need these for being on the road. The word on these is fairly good from what I can tell. If B&O does an H9, I bet it'll be an NC version of the H7 which may or may not work for me since I didn't love the H6. The comfort of both the H6 and H7 are superb, and it's real leather. B&O got the premium right (YMMV, of course). I also like the fact B&O doesn't do just boring black or silver cans.

For the record, I owned the H7 and it was stunning, especially when wired. I drove it wired with my iDSD Micro and it was stinking good sounding. Not sure how differently tuned the H8 really would be, but I haven't heard the H8 myself.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #228 of 2,709
  For the record, I owned the H7 and it was stunning, especially when wired. I drove it wired with my iDSD Micro and it was stinking good sounding. Not sure how differently tuned the H8 really would be, but I haven't heard the H8 myself.

Part of the issue with the H6 (at least v1, which is what I owned) was its tuning (tweaked in v2) and my source had a hard time driving it. I've heard nothing bad about the H7, and I am curious to see what B&O could do with an over ear ANC because I do really like the H8.

Back on topic: I'll have to try to find one of the airport stores that has all of these to audition. Since Sony has been hit or miss for me, $400 is too much of a gamble even though at this point, I put NC quality a bit higher (but not enough to buy the QC35 which I do not like for sonics).

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #229 of 2,709

Part of the issue with the H6 (at least v1, which is what I owned) was its tuning (tweaked in v2) and my source had a hard time driving it. I've heard nothing bad about the H7, and I am curious to see what B&O could do with an over ear ANC because I do really like the H8.

Back on topic: I'll have to try to find one of the airport stores that has all of these to audition. Since Sony has been hit or miss for me, $400 is too much of a gamble even though at this point, I put NC quality a bit higher (but not enough to buy the QC35 which I do not like for sonics).

Makes sense, but from what I know, the H7 is tuned differently (and better) than the V1 H6. Yes, back OT, I am seriously considering the 1000X as buying it from Amazon if it doesn't work for me I can send it back. Despite my reticence to use wires, I am looking at the B&W P9 as it sounds very nice, same goes for the new KEF mobile headphone. Cheers.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #230 of 2,709
  Makes sense, but from what I know, the H7 is tuned differently (and better) than the V1 H6. Yes, back OT, I am seriously considering the 1000X as buying it from Amazon if it doesn't work for me I can send it back. Despite my reticence to use wires, I am looking at the B&W P9 as it sounds very nice, same goes for the new KEF mobile headphone. Cheers.

The amazing thing to me is just a few years ago, there was a complete lack of quality headphones that had noise cancelling. Now we have quite a few that are above average to great depending on what we like. Choice is good! I'm glad Sony upped the NC game to finally give Bose a run for their money even if I don't wind up getting it.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #231 of 2,709

The amazing thing to me is just a few years ago, there was a complete lack of quality headphones that had noise cancelling. Now we have quite a few that are above average to great depending on what we like. Choice is good! I'm glad Sony upped the NC game to finally give Bose a run for their money even if I don't wind up getting it.

I'm not a NC user, I always look for defeatable NC circuits as I do like louder playback volumes typically making NC a non-issue. Still, I get it that for those who need good NC it is an absolute necessity for them. It is also fantastic just how far BT headphones have come in such a short period of time. Wires are soon a thing of the past. I was disappointed both the new KEF and B&W P9 aren't BT.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #232 of 2,709
  I'm not a NC user, I always look for defeatable NC circuits as I do like louder playback volumes typically making NC a non-issue. Still, I get it that for those who need good NC it is an absolute necessity for them. It is also fantastic just how far BT headphones have come in such a short period of time. Wires are soon a thing of the past. I was disappointed both the new KEF and B&W P9 aren't BT.

With LDAC in the 1A, I may care more, but only the 1000X has it which is a bit of a bummer (thanks, Sony!). On a plane I never count on flight attendants liking wireless things, so wired is the safe route to go. I used to shun NC headphones until I started spending time on planes. I do see the value of BT for listening - esp. high quality, and I agree it's come a long way.

The KEF ones are their first attempt at NC, so I would think BT is next.

Look how long it took B&W to make a BT version of the P7. The P9 isn't aimed at the casual listener who values convenience and no wires. That will be the upsell on the new and improved one next year :wink:

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #233 of 2,709

... That will be the upsell on the new and improved one next year :wink:

Here's hoping! I went BT after using an Oppo PM3 driven balanced with an ONKYO DP-X1 and I was shocked at just how good my B&O H7 sounded. It was great just using a phone and no wires. I'm now willing to on occasion carry a wired headphone, but I never fail to think when I do so how much more convenient no wires really are. Still tempted to go with the P9 and see. I sometimes take my MT220 wired on the bus (but they aren't really a portable).

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #235 of 2,709
Any comparisons with Sennheiser PXC 550? Only audio quality, not ANC.

I trialed the PXC 550 on a few flights. Personally I prefer the audio quality on the 1000x over the 550. The 550 had a very clear sound signature, but just never seemed to excite me. Fairly balanced and flat. Decent base response. Mids are not as forward as the 1000x. 

Already returned the 550. Haven't had a chance to take the 1000x on flights yet, but will tomorrow. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #236 of 2,709
And it is exactly this method I'm interested in ! The Bluetooth is a nice convenience ofc but I'm keen to know how it sounds powered with a wire and amped ! To get the best in sound and NC ! Cause the Qc 35 sucked balls this way.. Could not amp it.. The bass just crackles and breaks.. Awful...

Can someone with a good amp please try this ! I know it was mentioned there was a limit but how far can I push it ? How good are there drivers ?

Tested on my Chord Mojo. 1000x Drivers are pretty solid I'd say. Pushed the volume until the point my eardrums were uncomfortable. Drivers handled the additional volume just fine. Bass did not crackle. 

The Mojo DAC added additional depth to the bass and expanded the soundstage a bit. Basically the same result as I always get adding the Mojo in between my iPhone and my cans. Definitely an improvement over Bluetooth.

Current feel is that these will be the ANC bluetooth headset that I keep. Will report back after my flight tomorrow. 

Would be interested in a comparison between the Mojo and a Sony LDAC DAP for sure. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #238 of 2,709
Tested on my Chord Mojo. 1000x Drivers are pretty solid I'd say. Pushed the volume until the point my eardrums were uncomfortable. Drivers handled the additional volume just fine. Bass did not crackle. 

The Mojo DAC added additional depth to the bass and expanded the soundstage a bit. Basically the same result as I always get adding the Mojo in between my iPhone and my cans. Definitely an improvement over Bluetooth.

Current feel is that these will be the ANC bluetooth headset that I keep. Will report back after my flight tomorrow. 

Would be interested in a comparison between the Mojo and a Sony LDAC DAP for sure. 

Awesome good to know !! Was this with NC on wired ? There are many NCs that for some reason can't handle extra bass or amping when the NC is engaged .. this was my worry wired both with and without NC and pushed !

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #239 of 2,709
Bought the MDR-1000x yesterday from the airport, there is a nice £60 discount compared to Amazon here in the UK.

Compared to the QC35 (which I trialled at a store):

- The QC35 are slightly more comfortable as they are lighter.
- The build quality of the Sony's is better
- The Sony's sounds much better. The QC35 audio sounded a bit too compressed via BT. It doesn't support AptX which my phone does. The wired QC25 sounded much better in comparison. The Sony on the other hand was a noticeable improvement over BT in terms of sound quality. Wired through my HTC 10 (and its built-in amp) sounded even slightly better (not much more though).
- The touch features on the Sony are great and work really well.
- Noice cancelling on the Sony works better because it does a better job at muting voices, something the QC35 seemed to struggle.
- BT pairing on the Sony is much quicker than with the Bose, but then again the Bose was in a store with loads of BT interference.

Overall the Sony's are great so far, I just need to trial them longer to see how long they can stay on before they become uncomfortable. Glad I waited and didn't get the Bose.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #240 of 2,709
Bought the MDR-1000x yesterday from the airport, there is a nice £60 discount compared to Amazon here in the UK.

Compared to the QC35 (which I trialled at a store):

- The QC35 are slightly more comfortable as they are lighter.
- The build quality of the Sony's is better
- The Sony's sounds much better. The QC35 audio sounded a bit too compressed via BT. It doesn't support AptX which my phone does. The wired QC25 sounded much better in comparison. The Sony on the other hand was a noticeable improvement over BT in terms of sound quality. Wired through my HTC 10 (and its built-in amp) sounded even slightly better (not much more though).
- The touch features on the Sony are great and work really well.
- Noice cancelling on the Sony works better because it does a better job at muting voices, something the QC35 seemed to struggle.
- BT pairing on the Sony is much quicker than with the Bose, but then again the Bose was in a store with loads of BT interference.

Overall the Sony's are great so far, I just need to trial them longer to see how long they can stay on before they become uncomfortable. Glad I waited and didn't get the Bose.

Which airport and was there some promotion or special offer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back