Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #211 of 2,709
You can listen to them wired and powered so you get get the benefits of both. The only way they sound worse is when your listen to them wired and powerless which generally is only done if the battery is drained and is a ladt resort.

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #212 of 2,709
You can listen to them wired and powered so you get get the benefits of both. The only way they sound worse is when your listen to them wired and powerless which generally is only done if the battery is drained and is a ladt resort.

And it is exactly this method I'm interested in ! The Bluetooth is a nice convenience ofc but I'm keen to know how it sounds powered with a wire and amped ! To get the best in sound and NC ! Cause the Qc 35 sucked balls this way.. Could not amp it.. The bass just crackles and breaks.. Awful...

Can someone with a good amp please try this ! I know it was mentioned there was a limit but how far can I push it ? How good are there drivers ?

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #213 of 2,709
Charging the headphones and my Mojo right now, so I can give you my impressions in a few hours.

So far very pleased with the audio of the 1000x. If you have a preference for mids and vocals you'll most likely enjoy the sound signature here. Bass is tight but bass heads will want more. These are replacing my SE 535 for travel and I enjoy both. Mids and highs aren't as sharp as the 535, the bass comes forward a bit there.

All my listening so far over Bluetooth on Spotify Extreme.

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #214 of 2,709
I had a preorder at B&H that I cancelled based on some of the comments here. I hated the 100ABT (had it for less than a day before sending back to Amazon). This sounds like a pair of headphones I'll want to audition before buying to see if they work for me. I prefer accurate to bloated bass, but from the reviews here I have no clue what people are hearing. I would mainly be using these wired and on a plane, so BT quality is of no concern.

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #215 of 2,709
  I had a preorder at B&H that I cancelled based on some of the comments here. I hated the 100ABT (had it for less than a day before sending back to Amazon). This sounds like a pair of headphones I'll want to audition before buying to see if they work for me. I prefer accurate to bloated bass, but from the reviews here I have no clue what people are hearing. I would mainly be using these wired and on a plane, so BT quality is of no concern.

I've been using the B&W P7 wireless and wired with a Fiio amp and they're good enough at passive sound isolation that for airplane use (music and shows) it's fine and you get great sound otherwise and you get the ability to go wireless which I really like.

As an example, I was vacuuming yesterday on my P7s and they were MUCH better than the QC35s since the 35s let in all the high motor whine anyway and sound way crappier.  Making wonder if I care about ANC for my listening style.

I'm still going to try the MDR1000Xs when they get here, but they'll have a lot of hard work to do to beat the P7s

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #216 of 2,709

I've been using the B&W P7 wireless and wired with a Fiio amp and they're good enough at passive sound isolation that for airplane use (music and shows) it's fine and you get great sound otherwise and you get the ability to go wireless which I really like.

As an example, I was vacuuming yesterday on my P7s and they were MUCH better than the QC35s since the 35s let in all the high motor whine anyway and sound way crappier.  Making wonder if I care about ANC for my listening style.

I'm still going to try the MDR1000Xs when they get here, but they'll have a lot of hard work to do to beat the P7s

I hated the P7s (regular) - as in really disliked the way they sounded. I wouldn't try them again and they did not provide near enough isolation on a plane. I tried them and I believe I posted my impressions in the P7 thread. Terrible.

I only do wired. I have been using the B&O H8 since they came out which sound good wired with NC on or off. They're also comfortable. I've had a few cans that were uncomfortable and/or heavy, and that also gives me pause here since some are knocking the comfort.

I'm intrigued by the new Porsche Design/KEF Space One as well as the rumor B&O may have something new soon.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #217 of 2,709
I hated the P7s (regular) ... they did not provide near enough isolation on a plane. 

Not with you on the sound obviously, at least the new wireless P7s, as I think they sound fantastic albeit a bit bass heavy.  Jazz, classical, and rock all sound excellent.  EDM and R&B like Eryah Badu sounds a bit bass heavy, which is fine to me but it's noticeable.  FLAC24s wired & amp'd (like black dragonfly) sound stellar.

As for the P7 wireless noise isolation, it's quite good but if you listen to low volume music or podcasts you will definitely know it on take-offs and landings - I don't; I listen loud enough to hear the detail and with P7s you could light off fire crackers and I wouldn't hear them.  I actually know that's true because it happened : )  At cruise altitude I don't notice background noise even at low volumes, but that said, I always notice voices at low volume, but I did with the QC35s and my PSBs anyway so no difference there.

If the 1000x block voices I'm sold, if they sound worse than the P7s then I'm sticking with the P7s.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #218 of 2,709
 I listen loud enough to hear the detail and with P7s you could light off fire crackers and I wouldn't hear them.

Different strokes and all that :)

But your line up there is the difference - I listen at lower/moderate volumes. If I need to crank to drown out anything, there's something wrong. I usually sit on the wing above the enginer. I remember using the P7s on a plane and dreading that flight. ANC for someone who is on a plane as much as I am matters, but finding a set of cans that:
1. Is comfortable for long periods of time (say, US --> Asia or Australia)
2. Sounds good without NC (many sound better with NC on than without due to whatever magic they need to do to get NC working)
3. Sounds good with NC where NC doesn't affect the overall sound too much
4. Has a nice soundstage
4. Is esy to pack (I prefer pack flat)

is a tall order. Throw in personal preferences on looks, comfort, and sound signature, and whee! The H8 is as close as it's come for me and lord knows I've owned plenty (just see my posting history). They're coming up on nearly 2 years of active use, which is impressive.

I have yet to find a pair of passive isolation cans (over or on ear) that can do the trick. I wish the Aedle VK-1 had a pair that worked well on planes, truth be told.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #219 of 2,709
Here for those clamorring a QC35s vs 1000x review in video :)

2 sum up: Sony for 1 build 2 sound ( louder deeper bass hits more !) 3 NC ( drowns out voices better) ..passive NC is also better!

Bose for comfort...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=toWwmr3V3so

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #220 of 2,709

I usually sit on the wing above the enginer .... The H8 is as close as it's come for me and lord knows I've owned plenty (just see my posting history). 

ha, yeah, I'm a wingman too but I do listen to 95% movies/shows and some podcasts & music ... but DAMMIT, now you have me wondering about these H8s.  Why'd you have to do that?

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #222 of 2,709

ha, yeah, I'm a wingman too but I do listen to 95% movies/shows and some podcasts & music ... but DAMMIT, now you have me wondering about these H8s.  Why'd you have to do that?

If you are wireless mainly, read the H8 thread. Seems to be either a very good or a very bad experience. Personally, I'm seeing if B&O comes out with, say, an H9 that is over ear. The NC is good, but not the best ever. The H8 seems to be the best overall compromise for the sound I like (matches well with my source ...), overall sound quality, NC, comfort, and portability. I've had Sony NC cans, so it's not like I'm anti-Sony here. The NC in the 1000X is what is intriguing me, but the comments about comfort (I've got plenty of 9+ hour flights coming up) and sound quality leave me a bit worried. I had the MDR-1RNC and not only were they heavy, but things got a bit toasty for being over ear. I couldn't wear them for long strethes of time. The top part was comfortable.

Like I mentioned above, the PD/KEF ones that just came out ($420) intrigue me. When I'm in LA in November I may audition them if they are at the PD store. They are not wireless, and take AAA instead of a rechargeable battery which to me is odd these days. But KEF knows a thing or two about audio. PD did the aesthetics which I like.

AT has their new NC can as well (ATH-MSR7NC) which I briefly tried at one of the aiport stores. They seemed fairly comfortable, but they were too new and were not charged so no real sense of the sound in the 2 minutes I had. They seem to be well liked on Amazon.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #223 of 2,709

Hell, the B&O H7 is stunning, not sure how the H8 differs beyond being smaller, on-ear.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #225 of 2,709

The H8 came first, and has a different sonic signature. Think of the H7 as the BT version of the updated H6 v2 if you will. I have the H6 and it didn't pair well with my source - hated it. LOVE the H8.

Have you heard the H7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back