Sony MDR-1000X
Apr 8, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,891 of 2,709
It is my choice how loud I listen. I'm almost 49 and still have pretty good hearing because I'm not stupid. I typically listening for shorter durations. I'm also not one to have music one for hours a day, or hours at a time. I didn't spend money on technology I don't use, if you read my post these headphones were basically free, they cost me $68 Canadian with shipping so I couldn't care less about the technology I may not be using.

You can enjoy the same audio experience with the NC turned on at an actual lower volume than with the NC off, which basically would further help lessen the deterioration of your hearing.

Also, as a 1000x user myselfz they're tuned to give you the fullest sound possible with the NC on, trust me, I've tested it thoroughly.

Try it yourself. Put the NC on, optimize it, and enjoy a better quality sound overall at a 15-20% lower volume.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #1,892 of 2,709

The MDR-1000x (and all NC models, for that matter) are engineered to be best used in NC mode.

Also, not all ANC phones sound better with ANC on. Exhibit A: the M4U2. It sounds best with the built in amp on, but the ANC off.

The determining factor is amp on. Note that if ANC or Bluetooth is on, then the amp is also turned on.

If the headphone has active electronics, manufacturers take to opportunity to add other signal processing to improve the sound of the earpiece. In particular, Bose QC headphones use low quality drivers with uneven response, but the electronics apply equalization and other correction to achieve a decent sound. No doubt the 1000X applies some processing, which requires turning it on to make active.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #1,893 of 2,709
I've been test driving these 1000x for about three weeks now, so I'm coming up strong against the 30 day return window. I'm pretty sure I'm keeping these, though.

Observations:

Bluetooth:

- Bluetooth 4.1 with SBC, AAC, aptX, LDAC and A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP (30ft range)
- Connectivity is the simplest and most reliable I have ever seen
- Whatever bluetooth protocol it negotiates with my iPad Mini 4 actually sounds pretty dang good
- Easy navigation gestures on right-sided can: swipe up/down for volume, forward/back for next/prev song
- Tap and hold for voice assisted calling, double-tap for accept/end calls
- Good caller voice audibility for the callee

Noise Cancelation:

- 3 modes: full, allow voices, allow ambient
- Cup your hand over right can to temporarily silence music and allow ambient sound (good for ordering food)
- Press and hold middle button to run quick NC optimizer to accomodate different environments

Sound:

- When turned on with cable, better definition and volume with impedance of 46ohm and 103dB sensitivity
- When turned off with cable, less punch with 16ohms and 98dB sensitivity
- Posted frequency range of 4 - 40k
- Handles all the bass and treble my ears can bear without distorting
- Provides enough resolution to gauge venue size from early reflections
- Late reflections are clearly audible
- They lay waste to my Bose SoundTrues
- More clinical than my HD598s with stronger gut-felt bass and non-brittle treble while not muddying the mids
- They can carry a flat response way beyond volume levels I can bear.

Comfort:

- The Bose QC products have the edge because you can hardly feel you're wearing them.
- The 1000x on the other hand are a more substantial piece of kit.
- I was worried, cause at the end of day 1 I suffered some wear fatigue on the left side, but it disappeared on day 2

Other:

- I like the way they fold up and stowe away in the zipper box
- 20h+ playtime on 4h charge
- generous-length audio and charging cables plus airline adapter

Warning, headphones like these will ruin you for other headphones.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #1,894 of 2,709
Noise Cancelation:
- 3 modes: full, allow voices, allow ambient

I only have the MDR1000x for a day+ and have reached a difference conclusion. It seems there's only one Active Noise Cancellation mode. I would summarize the modes like this:

- ANC On
- ANC Off
- Ambient Sound Normal - No ANC is used. Microphones transfer full frequency range.
- Ambient Sound Voice - No ANC is used. Microphones transfer only frequency range of voices.

In the last three modes, the only thing that seems to block noise is the closed-back design of the headphones.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #1,895 of 2,709

I only have the MDR1000x for a day+ and have reached a difference conclusion. It seems there's only one Active Noise Cancellation mode. I would summarize the modes like this:

- ANC On
- ANC Off
- Ambient Sound Normal - No ANC is used. Microphones transfer full frequency range.
- Ambient Sound Voice - No ANC is used. Microphones transfer only frequency range of voices.

In the last three modes, the only thing that seems to block noise is the closed-back design of the headphones.

Actually, with ambient sound, it does use ANC, canceling the mid frequency range, letting in only high freq (for sirens) and low freq (for other sounds like engine hum, etc,), while in voice mode, it cancels low an high frequencies just as much as with full ANC on, leaving out the lower and upper mids for male/female voices, so you can hear annoucements, etc.

Give it a proper try/test. Turn the voice on on a bass heavy vocal song, you'll hear the voices but no bass.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #1,896 of 2,709
Warning, headphones like these will ruin you for other headphones.

lol -- yup.

These are now my daily driver, dethroning my beloved Vibro Maya CIEMs. As much as I love those, There's something about full-size headphones I still generally prefer. The MDR-1000x seems to check every box SQ, Isolation, wire-free (and still sound great thanks to LDAC)

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,897 of 2,709
I have been listening lately with ANC but haven't done any comparisons yet, but when I get time I will report back what I feel about using it with ANC enabled all the time. I'm happy to report that at least so far I haven't had any of the discomfort some people report when they use ANC circuitry.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,898 of 2,709
I have been listening lately with ANC but haven't done any comparisons yet, but when I get time I will report back what I feel about using it with ANC enabled all the time. I'm happy to report that at least so far I haven't had any of the discomfort some people report when they use ANC circuitry.

ANC has MAJOR problems. It's absloutely superb when you're sat still on a train, or in a cafe etc, but the minute I move with the 1000X's, the ANC gets confused, and I get whooshes of white noise instead of music. It's the same with wind - they cause these headphones major problems. If moving, walking etc I have to turn the ANC off. Only then do I get music, instead of garbage.
BUT sat on a train, in a cafe etc, then there headphones astounding me. The ANC is peerless in this setting, and make listening to quiet classical music on a noisy train possible for the very first time.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,899 of 2,709
ANC has MAJOR problems. It's absloutely superb when you're sat still on a train, or in a cafe etc, but the minute I move with the 1000X's, the ANC gets confused, and I get whooshes of white noise instead of music. It's the same with wind - they cause these headphones major problems. If moving, walking etc I have to turn the ANC off. Only then do I get music, instead of garbage.
BUT sat on a train, in a cafe etc, then there headphones astounding me. The ANC is peerless in this setting, and make listening to quiet classical music on a noisy train possible for the very first time.

Interesting, I haven't had any such issues yet, but on a few occasions I do think the ANC interacts with the music to produce strange sound artifacts. Nothing like you describe, and very hard to explain, almost like a pop or warble, very brief, but it has happened a few times. I'll see if I can't do a better job figuring it out and I'll also see if I get the issues you mention.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #1,900 of 2,709

I'd suggest turning your 1000x in at the local Sony service. Had no such issues myself. There is slight wind noise on my device but only when the wind is really strong and not really enough to ruin the music. That is due to the external mic ports and rather wide bass port, however I've read in a few reviews that this is the case with virtually all NC headphones, they can't cancel out the wind completely due to the external mics. 

As far as the pop/warble sound, it does happen but very rarely and usually when I move my head fast or am running. I assume this is due to the internal mics constantly adjusting the  sound optimization / NC optimization due to the headphones moving on the head. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,901 of 2,709
Yes I'm starting to think I may keep the 1000X although for sure I wish it went louder. I have it at 100% (I think) all the time and I usually wish I could get it louder. I need to practice adjusting the volume as I find I am constantly pausing the track so maybe I just think I have the volume at full? Need to look into that, but the few times I use it I'm usually on the go and rushing so I never take time to fiddle. Tonight I hope I can.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,902 of 2,709
You're deaf or your device has a volume limiter due to EU regulations or something like that. Mine is plenty loud 2/3 of max from my iPhone

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,903 of 2,709
You're deaf or your device has a volume limiter due to EU regulations or something like that. Mine is plenty loud 2/3 of max from my iPhone

Neither, my hearing is excellent and it is a US model. I think I may just be doing things wrong.

Edit: nope, I think it is full. When I do the finger drag on the right cup as I saw in a Sony video the sound pauses and I get two beeps as if it is trying to say volume is full. Yes, it is full. Certainly needs more power for my taste. The B&W P7 wireless and the ATH WS99BT were much louder. This is about the same volume as the B&O H7. Almost loud enough, but not quite.

Edit 2: I also do have a small gain drop in my Onkyo HF player as I need the bass boosted with the 1000X so I back off the gain a hair. When I remove the EQ it gets louder, not significantly, but for my preferences the sound signature changes for the worse (a little leaner than I like). With the slight bass boost I use it helps quite a bit, again for my tastes.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #1,904 of 2,709

No, it won't. You can have industrial grade mufflers, that would do the job quite well, but no music
wink.gif

If you want to go passive, you'd have to look into noise isolating (vs cancellation) earbuds. I have the Etymotic HF5 with Comply foam tips - now that's bliss! If the 1000X reduces engine roar to a hum, the Ety's will put you in complete isolation - you won't hear the shrieking baby behind you, which all ANC is struggling to cancel. So much so, that I don't dare them using while driving/biking, because I don't hear anything from the environment. This is a good thing on a plane, not so good when a car is roaring down on you. The Etys provide excellent sound, are minimal size and weight and you can easily sleep with them. I consider their nose isolation on par with the best earplugs in general circulation (and which I normally use on overnight longhauls) They are a slight hassle to insert correctly - but once done, you're out of your environment. Of course you'll have to dig them out when the FA asks you if you'd like to have some more champaign
etysmile.gif

I'm telling this with 200+ hrs in the air every year.

its definitely a brav for sony man. yeah, I actually meant over ear headphones I knew earbuds were better at this job. 

im jealous you get to travel often though. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #1,905 of 2,709

I'd suggest turning your 1000x in at the local Sony service. Had no such issues myself. There is slight wind noise on my device but only when the wind is really strong and not really enough to ruin the music. That is due to the external mic ports and rather wide bass port, however I've read in a few reviews that this is the case with virtually all NC headphones, they can't cancel out the wind completely due to the external mics. 

As far as the pop/warble sound, it does happen but very rarely and usually when I move my head fast or am running. I assume this is due to the internal mics constantly adjusting the  sound optimization / NC optimization due to the headphones moving on the head. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with this set, as it works perfectly - unless you present it with a 'difficult' situation. It's just a limitation of the technology.
Eating with them on also presents a problem, with the 'swooshing' returning. And I think the 'problem' lies in the sealing of the cups around the ears. As soon as that seal is compromised, such as when you open your mouth, eating etc the ANC must register extraneous noise in the cups, which confuses the ANC.
It's not a 'deal breaker', as 90% of the time I'm sat still listening, and in this situation, the ANC is peerless.
I just think it's something to be aware of if you move a lot with these. In this situation, I think I prefer to switch the ANC off, or use a non-ANC set.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back