Sony MDR-1000X
Mar 12, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #1,716 of 2,709
If one wants to buy the MDR-1000X then imho they really need to use a playback device which uses LDAC. As far as aptX goes people are usually thinking that a 352 kpbs aptX is enough with a 320 kbps MP3 (or whaterver lossy format) but there's something to consider - there isn't any kind of bitstreaming of the MP3-data itself but rather decoding that lossy MP3 and then a lossy re-encode (using a compression method something similar to ADPCM) into a 352 kbps stream. So whatever your source is, with aptX there will be lossy encoding invoved in the end.

The advantage of LDAC is that at max bitrate of 990 kbps it should be able to transmit CD-quality sound of 1411 kbps without any quality loss via lossless encoding. I don't know what type of compression LDAC uses but common sense says that 990 kbps is enough to losslessly encode a 1411 kbps CD-quality sound.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,717 of 2,709
The inner ear pads are replaceable ? I did a search and can't seem to find it. The reference within this thread wasn't conclusive since it was linked to a Japanese site.

Maybe I missed it?

You need to improve your search skills.
Google for Sony parts should get you to the Sony website with a link to parts distributor: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-accessories.pl
Go to the parts distributor and search for 1000X: https://sony.encompass.com/search?searchTerm=1000x
Here is the earpad: https://sony.encompass.com/item/10938619/Sony/X-2593-518-1/Brown_Earpad

Someone posted in this thread instructions and YouTube video for how to remove the earpad.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,718 of 2,709
Hi guys,

Is it just me or these headphones leak a lot of sound? Paired with my iPhone, listening Spotify at max volume I can provide music to the whole room!

In a quiet environment, only with the sound just below mid volume there is almost no leakage. How does this compare to the Bose or others?

Thanks

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,719 of 2,709
I'm new here (first post). I use Apple ear pods (which come with the iPhones) and a pair of very old Sennheiser HD201 which cost $30 or so. I was going to buy air pods but decided to look around at what else was available because reviewers constantly stated poor sound quality and I wondered what that meant. Meanwhile the plug on my HD201 became crackly and needs to be replaced.

I just listen to music (what kind of music, I don't know, often musicals I guess) and audiobooks while frying bacon in the morning, also on the way to work, sometimes at work, and also walking on the treadmill.

Yes yes laugh it up...I'm no audiophile and I've never touched $50 headphones or anything of the calibre you all discuss :) I'm nobody.

After watching every single review, comparison, and this entire thread, my choices came down to the QC35 or the 1000X. I went to a store and demo'd the QC35 with my own music and they sound AMAZING to me. The 1000X was hooked up to a display with a set of 6 songs so I couldn't compare to my own music but from what I heard they were just as good. Plus you all mostly said so.

The other things I noticed were that the 1000X blocked more noise in the busy store, and even just talking about the headphones to my partner, lifting your hand to mute the sound was way easier than repeatedly lifting the QC35 off my head and putting them back on. Also, although people say the QC35 is more comfortable, my ears were getting hot after just a few minutes, and the cups felt like they rubbed the top of my right ear. They also felt like they'd slip off at any moment.

I used the 1000X with no extension (I guess I have a small head then, wah wah), they felt more stable on my head, they didn't seem to rub against my ear as much, and they didn't seem as hot - or they were equally as hot. I really don't remember.

Also one of my main uses is playing PS Vita. There's a thread on the Bose forums right now that Bose has destroyed ANC on the QC35 with a firmware update, and despite hundreds of reports, they don't seem to agree that it has happened. There's also a note that it doesn't work with the PS Vita over bluetooth for some reason (I also didn't find many people using it for this, just one, saying it worked, from a long time ago).

So long story short I ordered the Sony and hope it arrives this week. The QC35 sound amazing to me and I really wanted comfort but I didn't feel the Sony was any worse in this regard. I fretted over the choice one way or the other for... weeks. Even now I worry about having made a mistake but most of the reviews say you can't go wrong either way. Who knows until they arrive.

Anyway I'll also post a review when I receive them. As an amateur.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #1,720 of 2,709
I'm new here (first post). I use Apple ear pods (which come with the iPhones) and a pair of very old Sennheiser HD201 which cost $30 or so. I was going to buy air pods but decided to look around at what else was available because reviewers constantly stated poor sound quality and I wondered what that meant. Meanwhile the plug on my HD201 became crackly and needs to be replaced.

I just listen to music (what kind of music, I don't know, often musicals I guess) and audiobooks while frying bacon in the morning, also on the way to work, sometimes at work, and also walking on the treadmill.

Yes yes laugh it up...I'm no audiophile and I've never touched $50 headphones or anything of the calibre you all discuss :) I'm nobody.

After watching every single review, comparison, and this entire thread, my choices came down to the QC35 or the 1000X. I went to a store and demo'd the QC35 with my own music and they sound AMAZING to me. The 1000X was hooked up to a display with a set of 6 songs so I couldn't compare to my own music but from what I heard they were just as good. Plus you all mostly said so.

The other things I noticed were that the 1000X blocked more noise in the busy store, and even just talking about the headphones to my partner, lifting your hand to mute the sound was way easier than repeatedly lifting the QC35 off my head and putting them back on. Also, although people say the QC35 is more comfortable, my ears were getting hot after just a few minutes, and the cups felt like they rubbed the top of my right ear. They also felt like they'd slip off at any moment.

I used the 1000X with no extension (I guess I have a small head then, wah wah), they felt more stable on my head, they didn't seem to rub against my ear as much, and they didn't seem as hot - or they were equally as hot. I really don't remember.

Also one of my main uses is playing PS Vita. There's a thread on the Bose forums right now that Bose has destroyed ANC on the QC35 with a firmware update, and despite hundreds of reports, they don't seem to agree that it has happened. There's also a note that it doesn't work with the PS Vita over bluetooth for some reason (I also didn't find many people using it for this, just one, saying it worked, from a long time ago).

So long story short I ordered the Sony and hope it arrives this week. The QC35 sound amazing to me and I really wanted comfort but I didn't feel the Sony was any worse in this regard. I fretted over the choice one way or the other for... weeks. Even now I worry about having made a mistake but most of the reviews say you can't go wrong either way. Who knows until they arrive.

Anyway I'll also post a review when I receive them. As an amateur.

I don't think you can make a general statement about the QC35 and the 1.2.9 firmware update. Yes, there are a lot of people that are affected. No, not everyone is affected.

I'm on 1.2.10 and I think the ANC is just as good as 1.0.6.

The QC35 does get hot, but I believe it's the band over extended use that makes it so comfortable over the MDR-1000X.

I still have yet to demo one, but I am curious to see if it'll make me sell my QC35.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #1,721 of 2,709
The inner ear pads are replaceable ? I did a search and can't seem to find it. The reference within this thread wasn't conclusive since it was linked to a Japanese site.

Maybe I missed it?

I couldn't find anywhere that showed if they were replaceable, but after paying with mine I found it was pretty easy. There are 6 clips which you need to disengage. It actually seems to be a much more robust system then the Bose QC35s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYi2EkT8qM

I evaluated both the QC35s and the MDR-1000x before closing the Sony's. The earpads for the QC35s are about the same size as the Sony's. The retention mechanism is different, but you could potentially glue the plastic clip ring from the Sony's to the back of the Bose since it had a stiff rubber-like back. When I tested it out I found that the Bose ear pads did improve the comfort of the Sony's. Considering the Bose ear pads only cost $35 this might not be a bad option.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #1,722 of 2,709
I have had the opportunity to try both the P7 wireless and the Sony back to back and unfortunately have to admit that unless you really need NC it is a reasonable loss in sound quality over the P7 wireless.  Not that they are bad, it just less 'involving' to my ears compared back to back.

But the moment you are using the  P7 in a noisy environment that doesn't count for much as despite some folk saying the P7 passive NC is good, I can't agree with that and soon reach for the volume control.  Fine fo busy music but trying to listen to a tv prog on my ipad on a flight was pretty poor.

The Sony for traveling though is great with the hand cupping mute function which is both instant (pressing pause on the P7 has a noted delay) and the piping in of sound means not having to lift a cup to hear better.  That alone would sell it to me over models.

The NC is pretty good, this is my first set so wasnt sure what to expect.  Its not 100% but then I didnt expect it to be, but I was on a flight last week that I started thinking the NC was not working very well as I was starting to notice the prop noise towards end of flight, however on lifting them off I realised just how loud the aircraft had become so they were doing a pretty stella job after all!  i could carry on watching the tv prog without interference which was a struggle for the P7s.

Sitting here at home though and think the P7s will come back out the bag for home use (although its nice not to hear my overly loud typing at this point)

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,723 of 2,709
Is there any cable that allows the full use of headphone + mic functions for the MDR-1000X? I just realized that the supplied cable only receives audio but has no ability to transmit voice like a traditional wired headset (unlike the Bose QC35). I've tried over and over again on trying to connect via Bluetooth to my work laptop (Win 8) to no avail - it's paired but can't connect.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,724 of 2,709
Is there any cable that allows the full use of headphone + mic functions for the MDR-1000X? I just realized that the supplied cable only receives audio but has no ability to transmit voice like a traditional wired headset (unlike the Bose QC35). I've tried over and over again on trying to connect via Bluetooth to my work laptop (Win 8) to no avail - it's paired but can't connect.

Find a 3.5 to 3.5 cord with an attached remote? Aliexpress possibly?

I don't think the Bose QC35 with a QC25 cord would would with a laptop though....

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #1,725 of 2,709
@mikp

So I'm pretty sure the jack on this is even worse than the iPhone.

I tried this Anker one that says it works with iPhones:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00R124LAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it didn't fit, that metal part at the base pushes them out.

I also tried this Lasmex headset:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MQIPZFE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is extremely small and it just barely fits if you force it which is definitely scratching/chipping the plastic and putting a little pressure on the plug and jack. It works and I'm gonna use it but it's still not ideal. The headset cable that came with the beats solo are the best fitting ones i've found thus far, I think the diameter's about the same as the lasmex but the jacket is plastic and softer.

So uh, yeah, don't lose that cable. It's essentially proprietary, I'm going to contact support and see if I can get a replacement through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back