[size=15.6px !important] [/size]
[size=15.6px !important]yup. all interchangeable terms.[/size]
[size=15.6px !important] [/size]
[size=15.6px !important]Any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable should work. [/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[size=15.6px !important]nope, depends on the jack housing. [/size]

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,697 of 2,709
In terms of the terms you posted, yes those are all interchangeable. "Line-in" and "auxillary" refer to ports on a piece of equipment (like a receiver) that are most commonly 3.5mm TRS receptacles (though sometimes 7mm, or RCA). "Headphone cables" generally refer to cables with the standard headphone connector at either end (3.5mm TRS).

However, that being said, @mikp is entirely right that while electrically the connectors will fit, the housing around the plug can prevent a 3.5mm connector from being able to fully enter the port. Which is what brings me to this thread in the first place. The Sony MDR-1000X have a super narrow housing for the headphone cable which prevents the vast majority from working with it.

So far, the only cable I've found that kind of works is one that came with my roommates beast solos, and even still you kind of have to jam it.

I spoke with Reliable Parts and they contacted Sony for me and can back-order one for $60. Personally, I'm to keep looking for a while before I bite that bullet. But has anyone found any that would work?

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,699 of 2,709
Housing will be different on nearly every cable --- and nearly every headphone (is the jack recessed or flush?) I have maybe three cables in the office right now from various things... all three fit my MDR-1000x that I have in front of me going to my Pixel phone with a case on it.

In the context of the original question, yes. Look for those cables. Will they all work? Maybe not, but most 3.5mm cables coming off of a mainstream store shelf will work with the MDR-1000x due to the flush jack.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,700 of 2,709
So far, the only cable I've found that kind of works is one that came with my roommates beast solos, and even still you kind of have to jam it.

Really? All three that I just randomly found in my office work with it. None of them are labeled, otherwise I'd tell you what brand to look for lol 

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,701 of 2,709
Your MDR-1000Xs have a flush jack? Mine is a little recessed which is exactly what's causing the problems ... though it won't let me post a photo. But this recess typically hits the metal flange on the bottom of most 3.5mm cables I've tried, it's not even the rubber housing but the metal itself. I have the black ones if that makes any difference.

And thanks for those eBay links @mikp, I'll try em out.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,702 of 2,709

Any 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable should work. 

Not quite. The cable must have a narrow plug body, because the 1000X has an unusually small opening surrounding the jack. This was a bad design decision IMO. This situation is like when the opening in your phone case isn't large enough to accept some wider plugs.

This one will work: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Plated-Premium-Auxiliary-CB-AUX5/dp/B01277P0CG

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,703 of 2,709
Just got home and tried 2 more cables. You guys were right -- what I thought was minor dip turned out to be just enough to push those 2 out. Interesting that it was a 3/2 split with the 5 tested.

Glad someone found a working one on Amazon!

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #1,704 of 2,709
Mar 8, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #1,705 of 2,709
Anyone else getting distorted sound with ambient sound mode set to voice? On my pair it sounds as if put through a flanger and clipping badly.

If I whiste up and down in pitch the distortion is very prominent at some frequencies. Could anyone please try this and post their findings? Thanks!

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #1,707 of 2,709
thx found one with 26 feet long from the same brand. Will try it out.

eek.gif
 That's a lot of cable to deal with, and may be long enough to degrade the signal. Why not use Bluetooth? If your source doesn't have Bluetooth, there are lots of options for inexpensive Bluetooth transmitters.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,710 of 2,709
:eek:  That's a lot of cable to deal with, and may be long enough to degrade the signal. Why not use Bluetooth? If your source doesn't have Bluetooth, there are lots of options for inexpensive Bluetooth transmitters.

Yeah dunno... my father wants the cable..
Any good transmitter u recommend ?

Anyone know a 3.5mm cable on Amazon in the UK they know fits the met-1000x? Just looking for 4ft or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01DYGKTDE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488991599&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ketdirect+aux&dpPl=1&dpID=41Ay5Y5ueoL&ref=plSrch

This one looks like the one mikp recommended from ebay....If it's the same it should work...

Or look for the one rkw recommended. There is one from amazon.uk

Not quite. The cable must have a narrow plug body, because the 1000X has an unusually small opening surrounding the jack. This was a bad design decision IMO. This situation is like when the opening in your phone case isn't large enough to accept some wider plugs.

This one will work: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Plated-Premium-Auxiliary-CB-AUX5/dp/B01277P0CG

I posted about this one earlier, works fine for me. Maybe try this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back