SONY MD(MZ-NH1) Dusting it off and using it.
Jun 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joplin

New Head-Fier
Hi

I can;t believe that for the last 2-3 yrs I have owned a high quality MD unit and was thinking that the Ipod touch was so much better. Yes it has lots of bells,whistles,videos,lots of useless apps and some good ones but in the end the Sony MZ-NH1 walks all over the Ipod touch when it comes to the most important thing I want the unit for(MUSIC)All my music is on CD and will be transferred to HI-MD in the highest quality format?
The only concern I have is this which I read today>>>>>>>>>>>

(Though one hassle with Hi-MD units is they don't drive high-impedance headphones well; their headphone outputs are too low. So if you are going with high-end phones with high-impedance, you may be disappointed at the max volume levels you can achieve with Sony devices, depending on your headphones.)

The phones I plan on using are the Westone UM3X(Headphones Details:)with my MZ-NH1

* Sensitivity: 124dB/mW, Frequency response: 20 Hz -18 kHz,, Impedance: 56 ohms
* Driver: Three balanced armature drivers with a passive three-way crossover.
* Soft padded pouch, replaceable Comply TM foam tips, and wax loop for cleaning. ( Foam Tips comes in Small, Medium and large sizes )
* The UM3X is ultimate universal-fit musicians' monitor, perfect for the on-stage performer.
* Equipped with a durable 50" stereo "Y" cord with a 3.5mm stereo jack

Will the headphones I've chosen work well with the MZ-NH1 and give me sufficent volume?

I think all these years I've been in the possession of a quality unite yet chasing something else thats better.
I can also use the Sony MZ-NH1 with my Onkyo MD-133 INTEC 275 Hi-MD Deck Recorder.

Looking forward to your opinions Pro/Con

Greg

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 4
You shouldn't have a problem. I just listened to the Iron Man soundtrack on my Sony MZ-RH1 with my Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs and it sounded glorious. The RH1 uses the same battery (LIP-4WM) as the N1 and the Technicas are more power hungry than your Westones (impedance 60 ohms, frequency response 5 - 28,000 Hz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back