Sony is acquiring Audeze
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #31 of 41
Only a matter of time before we get an expensive wireless BT Audeze branded planar HP with Sony ANC chip+LDAC to compete with ML5909, Bathys, T+A Solitaire T etc.?

You never know, but the fact that Playstation bought them and not Sony Electronics makes me think we're not gonna see a lot of crossover with Sony's consumer audio stuff

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #32 of 41
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #33 of 41
I wonder what ends up happening here. From what I can tell, Audeze's revenue is a rounding error for SIE (even more so for Sony). It appears to only be several million dollars a year. Also, I find it notable that the SIE subsidiary is the one that bought them, not Sony Electronics. The reality is, Audeze was just purchased by a video game company. I don't think that is good news for their audiophile line.

I agree with this. Sony wrote the book on licensing screwups, marketing flops, and killing good technology. It would be hard to overstate how much wrong they have done.

Beta video tape, minidisc, incompatible codecs, SACD (full res digital out ONLY in HDMI only due to licensing terms) the list goes on and on.

Audeze, we hardly knew ye...

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #34 of 41
So what is the official position of Sankar and Audeze in this deal, and what should it imply for Audeze's Audiophile clientele, as seen from Sankar and Audeze's own perspectives? I think Sankar/Audeze have to make their own position about this new order of things and their expectations officially known to their established clientele of Audiophile customers, instead of leaving things to wild speculation, allowing the narrative of Audeze's acquisition by Sony to drift as it seems to be doing now, or, worse, allowing Sony (Playstation) the sole responsibility of controlling that narrative of the acquisition. From the perspective of a customer like me, what counts most, for better or worse, is the policy or agenda Audeze itself intends to pursue in this merge/acquisition.

I don't think they have an official position anymore. Sony is their boss and can dictate what they can say. At this time it's probably not much, probably nothing at all, except to say they are excited. This is a corporate buyout, stuff will get very corporate and locked down, when the ink was dry. Which was last week.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #35 of 41
Interesting that their recently announced wireless headset for PS5 is using planar magnetic drivers and only priced at $150.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #37 of 41
Playstation equipment is sold at loss under the cost, it's all offset by subscriptions and games sales.

Pretty sure this is only true for the console itself, they make a lot of money on accessories. Why would they bother selling a headset at a loss?

Aug 29, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #38 of 41
Pretty sure this is only true for the console itself, they make a lot of money on accessories. Why would they bother selling a headset at a loss?
To profit with increased subscriptions and game sales by offering higher quality hardware than their competitors.

Aug 29, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 41
To profit with increased subscriptions and game sales by offering higher quality hardware than their competitors.
Ha! saw your signature (Sony LCD-5)! GG, WP!

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #40 of 41
This is not true ever since PS4 came out, last gen of consoles to be sold at a Los was ps3 Xbox 360.
After that they made sure to double dip, by selling mid range pc spec consoles with a profit up front.
The days of consoles competing with high end pc at the time of their release are long gone.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #41 of 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back