Sony IER-M9 vs FiiO FA9
Nov 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #16 of 136
Good to read that you are still enjoying the M9s!
Even after 1,5 years I still think they are amazing.

I finally ordered the ridiculously expensive Spiral Dot ++ from Japan in size MS and M to explore the rumors about them being the best choice.
Let's see...
Otherwise I might check out the foams.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #17 of 136
Good to read that you are still enjoying the M9s!
Even after 1,5 years I still think they are amazing.

I finally ordered the ridiculously expensive Spiral Dot ++ from Japan in size MS and M to explore the rumors about them being the best choice.
Let's see...
Otherwise I might check out the foams.
I did not have any issues with the Sony tips (i use them on the IER-Z1R and XBA-Z5 without issues), the issue i had was mostly

1. Either they sounded good and isolated okayish
2. They isolated very good, but built up pressure and so destroyed the sound
3. They slowly started sliding out. Really very slowly because... well its silicone in the ear. They are, of course, not cemented there :p but everytime i pushed them a bit back in, the sound changed again because the pressure changed

With the Foams i can have everything now. I can insert them as deep as i want without any pressure, they sit very tight and almost don't move. And the tiny amount they do move, is no issue because when i push them back in, they don't build up pressure. I mean they do for like milliseconds. You can feal it but you can also feal the instant relief from the compensation.

The foams allow pressure compensation and this is the magic. That is everything they needed due to their closed design to be perfect. I was so close to drill a tiny hole into the faceplate somewhere just to allow them to do that. They Foam Tips have been my last restort.

Espeically with the silicone tips, i was often able to hear myself. I could not wear them while walking or eating. With the foams now, no longer an issue.

The IER-M9 are, in terms of technicality, just the best IEM i ever heard in my live. Depending on the song the IER-Z1R might be more fun, but its mostly a different style/taste of sound. In terms of pure sonic performance, the IER-M9 are unbeat imho.

Switching between the ZX300 and ZX507 with the IER-Z1R you can hear a difference but its very small. Its like minor differences here in there in the bass and the highs. The ZX507 is a bit more defined, more tight, a bit clearer. But with the IER-M9, they sound like two different DAP.

Some people struggle to hear the difference between an Smartphone Dongle and an DAP in blind tests, with the IER-M9 its like no question. Its an obvious difference you instantly hear without even concentrating.

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #18 of 136
Until now i mostly use Over Ear Headphones (MDR-Z7M2 and recently MDR-Z1R) on my ZX507 and i am pretty satisfied.

Because, especially for sports, i wanted an good In-Ear, i bought an XBA-Z5 roughly a year ago and it is the most rarely used Headphone i have.

Initially it had an pretty bloated bass and very recessed mids, After the foam got dirty, i removed it which reduced the bass a little bit, but caused extremely sharp and hurtful highs.

I then put a custom made fabric on them and now they sound kinda balanced... okay enough but still i don't enjoy listening to them. They don't isolate well, they still sound far from detailed and my Over Ear are just so much better, that i only use them for sports and nothing else.

I also tried the IER-Z1R which was extremely uncomfortable in my ears and also had very sharp/hurting highs on some songs.

I then kinda gave up on In-Ear Headphones until i bought the FiiO FA9. Those are, for me personally, by far the best headphones i ever had in my live. I use them on the bass setting with the bass tips and they are just incredible. The bass is strong, controled, detailed, the mids are where they belong and the highs are extremely airy, fine, detailed, right in your face but never not a single time sharp or hissing. The isolation is incredible too, they fit comfortably, are ultry lightweight.

I prefer them over any other headphone i own.

The FA9 brought back my faith in In-Ear Headphones and now im kinda wondering, maybe i was always looking in the wrong direction. Maybe the IER-M9 would be the best In-Ear Headphone for me? Would i be disappointed and should just stick with the FA9

It sounds kinda stupid to think about another headphone when i found one that i like very much, but i always thought that i'd prefeer the Sony Sound Signature... maybe i was just wrong? Im kinda lost now.

I'd love to test them but the only way to get them in germany is the same way i got my MDR-Z1R and XBA-Z5, by importing them from japan.

But i don't want to import an ~900-1000€ headphone (incl. tax and shipping and stuff) and then be disappointed so here i am asking if someone owns the IER-M9 and the FiiO FA9 and can describe how they compare.

I expected to dislike the FA9 because lot of people said that they sound boring and lifeless. Maybe its related to my taste in music but for me they sound everything but boring and lifeless. They are the first headphones that were able to give me goose bumps at some songs i never had them (for example at Avatar from Fibel)

So my idea right now is, the IER-M9 might be like the FA9 but better. Maybe its the opposide (for me). I have no idea... please help me :D
Did you ever figure out what you like between the FA9 and M9? I have the FA9 but idk if I should get the M9? Is it a better version of the FA9 (basically the same sound signature but more resolving/detailed) or is the FA9 actually more like the M7?

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #19 of 136
Of course the M9 is better! :wink:
In all seriousness it's almost impossible to answer this question for you, since everyone hears things differently and you seem to prefer a signature that's quite different to the mainstream.

I never heard the FA9 but I own the M9. I suppose you checked Crinacle's ranking list?
And for a deep dive, the best analysis I know of is Precog's review:
https://www.headphones.com/communit...ews/sony-ier-m9-review-the-kilobuck-benchmark

This paragraph sums it up best IMO:
Details, subtle nuances in tracks are simply laid out for you to depict; the IER-M9 isn’t the type of IEM to slam details in your face, and here-in lies a pleasant contrast with the IER-M9’s excellent positional cues. Perhaps most interestingly, the IER-M9 also doesn’t feel very fast. However, it stands that its sheer resolving capability is impressive - perhaps a step shy from being at the top of the IEM game. Coherency is stellar in my opinion, although I’m not especially sensitive to this stuff.

Keep in mind that it needs a good source, the M9 is an IEM I never use with my phone, I sometimes use it with the Mojo for convenience but I prefer using the Chord Hugo 2.

The only thing I'd be slightly worried about is the treble energy - the M9 is not shrill or harsh but has good extension and definition in the upper treble, ad you seem to be particularly sensitive to that.

In the end you'll have to hear it to know if it's for you. Keep an eye on Addicted to Audio in Australia. They had the M9 on sale for around €600 a couple of times in the past years.
Do you think the BTR5 with 240 mW of power is enough?

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #20 of 136
I received the IER-M9 today and they sound completely different than the FiiO FA9, i was very suprised.

The FiiO FA9 sounded very good, extremely detailed but they sounded like very typical BA headphones. They matched pretty much the sound i expected from an BA only Headphone.

The IER-M9 are the exact opposite! Holy Moly they sound... i don't know. Like a headphones with Dynamic Drivers that does have the advantage of an BA setup. Its like the best of both worlds.

I'd assume that most people would not notice that those are BA-only headphones. Someone with lots of experience could assume it but its not like super obvious like with other BA-only Headphones.

And oh my god are they much better then the FA9. Of course this is an unfair comparison due to being easily the double price but still.

So from my personal experience having owned them both, its not even close. They sound totally different and the M9 is in a whole other league.

I am very suprised that not more people are talking about these, maybe those people want this specific "synthetic" BA sound... i don't know but for me, the M9 are, no question, the clear winner. 10/10.

Also they are much more comfortable to wear. The still have, like all IEM, this typical vaccum they create and are very picky with the tips, but the feeling in the ear is much better. Smaller, lighter, no pressure against the ear.
What combo would you rather have? FA9 and M9, or M7 and M9?

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #21 of 136
So it took me like 3 days to find the right tip size. Yesturday M was just perfect, today M is too small but ML is perfect :D

I still need some time to get used to that extreme isolated feel by In Ear Monitors, as said i had the same with the FA9 and this like "underwater" feel is strange and takes some time to get used to. But its awesome as it makes Noise Cancellation pretty much obsolete.

I feel like they even isolate better than Ohropax, but right after the insertion it takes some time to adjust. So when i put them in i have to wait like 2-3 minutes until all the pressure compensation features of my body did what they need to do.

When i listen to Music while being on work i listen at volume 10-15 (from 120) and thats while a construction is going on outside and the windows are open.

I think the sound is extremely neutral, like extreme. This is the most flat earphone i ever had in my whole live. When i want to get the same bass level as i get from my MDR-Z1R i have to push the bass at least +6 in the EQ

But i did buy an In-Ear Monitor to have this flat sound, that is what i wanted and why i bought it and until now, i was not disappointed.

Until now i used the WI-1000XM2 Noise Cancelling in Ear when i went outside like Train Rides and stuff but the Sound of the IER-M9 is much better + they have better isolation at the same time. So less Noise + better Sound

I just noticed, if you don't put them all the way but only slightly (so that they still seal but not completely isolate), they actually do have an pretty pronounced bass. That very interesting.
How would you compare it to the FA9 with all 3 switches down and with the balanced eartips on?

Nov 21, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #22 of 136
How would you compare it to the FA9 with all 3 switches down and with the balanced eartips on?
I think what is closest to the M7/M9 is down, up, down (pop Tuning) and with the dark red Bass tips or the memory foam.

Compared to the FA9, it's complicated. The FA9 sounds like an excellent and very good all-BA IEM.

It is an good IEM with a good price in every aspect.

The IER-M9 doesn't sound like an all-BA IEM. That's the main difference. Sony's own BA have all the advantages of an BA, but sound like DD, that's the main difference.

The impact of the M9 is much higher. So if someone hits an Bass drum, you feel it. Your feel it slammy, punchy and impactful, better then a lot of DD. If someone plays an guitar, it's an much more realistic "it is really there" sound while the FA9 is more analytic (even in the Pop Tuning)

The MSRP of the FA9 is 550€, the MSRP of the IER-M9 is 1500€, so it is an bit of an unfair comparison.

The IER-M9 performs best with, and really needs, an Sony DAP like the ZX300, ZX507, WM1.

The FiiO FA9 performs best with an very neutral and flat DAP like the M11 Plus LTD.

But in the end, the IER-M9 is better imho, yes, but it's the triple price and you really need an Sony DAP for it.

If you compare FA9+M11Plus vs IER-M9+WM1Z, I'd say non is better but they are different.

The FA9 does fit better for me. It's custom IEM level of fit while the IER-M9 is not as snuggly but feels lighter and can even disappear in terms of feel. So for long trips I think I'd prefer the IER-M9.

tl;dr
The IER-M9 is more fun with its punchy and impactful bass which is very unique and incomparable to any other BA IEM while the FA9 is (in the 0-1-0 POP Tuning) more neutral and balanced.

DSC_0838.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #23 of 136
I think what is closest to the M7/M9 is down, up, down (pop Tuning) and with the dark red Bass tips or the memory foam.

Compared to the FA9, it's complicated. The FA9 sounds like an excellent and very good all-BA IEM.

The IER-M9 doesn't sound like an all-BA IEM. That's the main difference. Sony's own BA have all the advantages of an BA, but sound like DD, that's the main difference.

The impact of the M9 is much higher. So if someone hits an Bass drum, you feel it. Your feel it slammy, punchy and impactful, better then a lot of DD. If someone plays an guitar, it's an much more realistic "it is really there" sound while the FA9 is more analytic (even in the Pop Tuning)

The MSRP of the FA9 is 550€, the MSRP of the IER-M9 is 1500€, so it is an bit of an unfair comparison.

The IER-M9 performs best with, and really needs, an Sony DAP like the ZX300, ZX507, WM1.

The FiiO FA9 performs best with an very neutral and flat DAP like the M11 Plus LTD.

But in the end, the IER-M9 is better imho, yes, but it's the triple price and you really need an Sony DAP for it.

If you compare FA9+M11Plus vs IER-M9+WM1Z, I'd say non is better but they are different.

The FA9 does fit better for me. It's custom IEM level of fit while the IER-M9 is not as snuggly but feels lighter and can even disappear in terms of feel. So for long trips I think I'd prefer the IER-M9.

tl;dr
The IER-M9 is more fun with its punchy and impactful bass which is very unique and incomparable to any other BA IEM while the FA9 is (in the 0-1-0 POP Tuning) more neutral and balanced.

DSC_0838.JPG
Do think its worth owning the FA9 and M7? I have a btr5 I use balanced (240 mW) but I guess that won’t be enough power for the M9.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #24 of 136
Do think its worth owning the FA9 and M7? I have a btr5 I use balanced (240 mW) but I guess that won’t be enough power for the M9.
What? 15mW are enough power to blow your eardrum out with both.

240mW are enough to drive the 300Ω Sennheiser HD820 to painful loud volume.

So power is your least concern. The M7 is missing the super tweeter, so it lacks a bit in the highs, but it's a very small difference.

I would do it like that

New M9 > Used M9 > New M7 > Used M7

Depending on your budget

Edit: I just checked the technical data of the IER-M9, the maximum power you can put into them are 100mW@20Ω, with more you're able to destroy them (together with your hearing).

So you can trust me, 240mW are more than enough

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 136
I just did another 1:1 comparison with ヨロシカ with this song:

The clap your hear at 02:06 for example

With the FA9 everything is a bit merged. The vocals, the drums, the guitars and the clapping.

With the IER-M9, everything is separated and the clapping sounds extremely real, like there are really people standing there and clapping. It always surprises me. You can hear everything crystal clear and separated but at the same time, it sounds warmer and fuller. With the FA9 you listen to an recording, with the IER-M9, the music is there and around you. Everything sounds bigger.

I think that is the best way to describe it

The part at 00:13-00:15 also, extremely real like it's really in front of you, existing in the real world, no longer am recording.

The part at 00:20-00:22, you can really feel the Toms of the drum kit vibrating, with the FA9, you can hear it, but not feel it.

It is three times the price, again, but you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #26 of 136
I just did another 1:1 comparison with ヨロシカ with this song:

The clap your hear at 02:06 for example

With the FA9 everything is a bit merged. The vocals, the drums, the guitars and the clapping.

With the IER-M9, everything is separated and the clapping sounds extremely real, like there are really people standing there and clapping. It always surprises me. You can hear everything crystal clear and separated but at the same time, it sounds warmer and fuller. With the FA9 you listen to an recording, with the IER-M9, the music is there and around you. Everything sounds bigger.

I think that is the best way to describe it

The part at 00:13-00:15 also, extremely real like it's really in front of you, existing in the real world, no longer am recording.

The part at 00:20-00:22, you can really feel the Toms of the drum kit vibrating, with the FA9, you can hear it, but not feel it.

It is three times the price, again, but you get what you pay for.

Some reviewers say that the bass on the M9 is distorted when doing measurements, like its “rubbery” and that the bass bleeds into the mids. Aside from the Sony BAs sounding like DDs, do you agree with this? How does the bass compare to the FA9 (with the switch down)? I feel like it is pretty tight and fast but I could be wrong since I don’t have a lot of experience besides the FA9, Blessing 2, and Starfield.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #27 of 136

tl;dr

Isn't 0-1-0 standard tuning? Pop is 0-0-1 (I'm using 0-0-1 with final audio type e tips). Regardless though, I heard the song you posted and what you described about the FA9 listening to it is spot on. I can hear the same thing

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #28 of 136
Isn't 0-1-0 standard tuning? Pop is 0-0-1 (I'm using 0-0-1 with final audio type e tips). Regardless though, I heard the song you posted and what you described about the FA9 listening to it is spot on. I can hear the same thing
Standard Tuning is 1-0-1 (16Ω, Normal Treble, Bass Limiter), i am using 0-1-0 (32Ω, Boosted Treble, No Bass Limiter)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 136

Unfortunately it's not that simple...
My experience is that the M9 is the most power hungry of all my IEMs, and on a low quality source like my iPhone SE 2015 it sounds limp.

But the quality of the source is always a combination of DAC and amp section.
The Chord Mojo and Hugo 2 which I use are both DAC/Amp solutions, so I can only judge DAC and Amp combined.
The Mojo has 720mW into 8 Ohms (output impedance 0.075), the Hugo 2 has 1050mW (outpout impedance 0.025) so both have theoretically more than enough power.
Yet the M9 really comes alive when driven by the Hugo 2. It's the note definition, the energy and control of the whole frequency range but especially in the bass which is noticably better with the Hugo.

That should not keep you from using and enjoying the M9 with the BTR5 but IMO the M9 needs some really high-end sources to show what it's really capable of.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #30 of 136
Some reviewers say that the bass on the M9 is distorted when doing measurements, like its “rubbery” and that the bass bleeds into the mids. Aside from the Sony BAs sounding like DDs, do you agree with this? How does the bass compare to the FA9 (with the switch down)? I feel like it is pretty tight and fast but I could be wrong since I don’t have a lot of experience besides the FA9, Blessing 2, and Starfield.
If those three are your only experience, then you'll be surprised. It will be like you'll be able to hear bass for the first time ever.

I tested the Blessing 2 Dusk and it has one of the most thinnest, lifeless and boring bass that exists, and the Dusk is the Blessing 2 Version with the boosted bass.

About the distortion, that is complicated. I have not measured them and the distortion is not big enough to hear it. Maybe its there, maybe not, i don't care to be honest^^ but it doesn't bleed with memory foam.

It does with the silicone tips (i do _not_ recommend to use them) because they are closed (like really closed, no air vent, nothing, for best isolation) and so your ear canal and the choice of tips play an extremely big role. But because Memory Foam allow for pressure compensation, you won't have these issues using foam.

The people i met who also use the IER-M9 can't insert them fully because otherwise they get pressure issues and if you don't insert them completely, the bass gets boosted and starts to bleed.

So again, if you can't wear them properly due to air pressure issues, i highly recommend to use Memory Foam. They let through an tiny amount of air and so you can insert them properly and hear how they really sound and don't have the air pressure issues.

And the bass is very dry and extremely controlled. There is no bloat of bleed to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back