Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 30, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #2,596 of 3,155
Recently I bought a Cema cable for m9, but I quickly returned to the stock, not only I didn't notice any change in the sound, but the stock is way more comfortable, so with this one and after several other custom cables, my conclusion is that cable do not have any impact in audio chain, at least in mine.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,597 of 3,155
Recently I bought a Cema cable for m9, but I quickly returned to the stock, not only I didn't notice any change in the sound, but the stock is way more comfortable, so with this one and after several other custom cables, my conclusion is that cable do not have any impact in audio chain, at least in mine.
Out of curiosity - which CEMA cable did you get and what is your source?

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #2,598 of 3,155

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #2,599 of 3,155
I wouldn't say that, and cable characteristics are not only about the conductor material.
I found the included copper cable a bit congested, but the CEMA PS which uses a mix of materials is really nice with the M9, refined, better separation and detail, great imaging and staging. Plays to the strengths of the M9 IMO.
The DIY silver cable simply has a different character, more cold and crisp leaning. My HOPE with a Lavricable is that it retains the clarity of the DIY silver cable but renders a little smoother, but I have not had a chance to test it.

Cables are tricky - costly and hard to get your hands on them to really test them, which takes time

In my experience tips and cables affect the sound differently. A bit like DAC/Amp and IEM/headphone.
One is about the underlying signal quality, the other is about converting the signal in terms of technicalities and tuning.
For sure tips are a much cheaper playing field, and more easily accessible.
Not disputing anyone's subjective experience (don't yuck someone else's yum), just having trouble with the lack of science to back any of these claims. Certainly valid to go with an aftermarket cable for its craftsmanship/aesthetics which can affect perceived quality and the overall experience on a psychoacoustic level.

The quote that keeps sticking with me is: '“Grab the silver cable to record this part, I want an extended high end,' is something I have never heard said by a recording engineer"
https://majorhifi.com/copper-silver...bles-whats-the-difference-and-does-it-matter/

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #2,600 of 3,155
Source adi2dac or mojo2, the cema is ms series, but it's not the only custom cable I have, I have others and never noticed any change or improvement, so no reason for me to swap cables, but it's my opinion, I don't say that must be like this for everyone.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #2,601 of 3,155
tanchjim air
One main issue I had the M9 and the reason why I sold it in the first place was the suction effect.

Thou, at the time, I didn't have much of a Tip collection. I do miss the M9 very much and I'm considering repurchasing it or Opt for the lesser M7.

Now my question, Does any 3rd Party Tip helps get rid of that s
tanchjim air p
One main issue I had the M9 and the reason why I sold it in the first place was the suction effect.

Thou, at the time, I didn't have much of a Tip collection. I do miss the M9 very much and I'm considering repurchasing it or Opt for the lesser M7.

Now my question, Does any 3rd Party Tip helps get rid of that suction problem?
tanchjim air pressure balance tips eliminate the effect

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #2,602 of 3,155
Not disputing anyone's subjective experience (don't yuck someone else's yum), just having trouble with the lack of science to back any of these claims. Certainly valid to go with an aftermarket cable for its craftsmanship/aesthetics which can affect perceived quality and the overall experience on a psychoacoustic level.

The quote that keeps sticking with me is: '“Grab the silver cable to record this part, I want an extended high end,' is something I have never heard said by a recording engineer"
https://majorhifi.com/copper-silver...bles-whats-the-difference-and-does-it-matter/
The best place to discuss this is the "Audio Science Forum"
Not "believing in" or "hearing" differences between cables is actually a bliss, it really saves you money! :xf_cool:
Source adi2dac or mojo2, the cema is ms series, but it's not the only custom cable I have, I have others and never noticed any change or improvement, so no reason for me to swap cables, but it's my opinion, I don't say that must be like this for everyone.
Nice sources! :thumbsup:
Could you say something about the differences between how the M9 sounds with the Adi vs the Mojo2?

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #2,603 of 3,155
The best place to discuss this is the "Audio Science Forum"
Not "believing in" or "hearing" differences between cables is actually a bliss, it really saves you money! :xf_cool:

Nice sources! :thumbsup:
Could you say something about the differences between how the M9 sounds with the Adi vs the Mojo2?
Thanks and yes when I come back home I will

Apr 2, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #2,604 of 3,155

Look up Passion for Sound on YouTube. He's a headfier and reviewer. He did a really interesting test on USB cables. Not 💯 conclusive but interesting.

I am a skeptic about a lot of things but I have two M9 cables: the stock cable and a cheap NiceHCK pure silver cable from AE. The colour of the AE clashes with the M9 and that bugs me. I really want to use the stock cable for that reason. But every time I try, I go back to the silver cable. It just feels like the pure silver cleaness/clarity helps the M9.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #2,606 of 3,155
M9 folks, have you upgraded? What did you get? If you haven't, what would you upgrade to if you could?
I haven't find anything feel like an upgrade from the M9 yet (something like the M9 but better).

Apr 2, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #2,607 of 3,155
The only way to solve this issue is using foam and because the IER-M9 has high sound quality, you need good foam. So something like the EP-NI1000, MIS or INAIRS
Most people who used the IER-M9 for a long time with silicone tips and then use it with foam instantly notice a drastic improvmenet in sound quality, especially in the bass and lower mids region
What do you think about the hybrid foam tips came with the M9?

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #2,608 of 3,155
imo, ier m9 raw plug is genuinely good with stock eartips, stock cable (mine is a 3.5mm z1r stock). I haven't try kilobuck dac, amps, dac/amp yet so i couldn't tell much out of that. Anyway, m9 is a wise blindbuy choice for me and together with it untill i die.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #2,609 of 3,155
M9 folks, have you upgraded? What did you get? If you haven't, what would you upgrade to if you could?

At the recent CanJam Singapore, i tested a myriad of TOTL IEMs, ranging from $1000 - 5000 USD.

TBH, while some of these TOTL multi driver behemoths were slightly more resolving, the M9 is no slouch, and may best some of them in tonality and timbre. A lot of these multi driver TOTL models have an obnoxious BA timbre that makes acoustic instruments sound artificial, and there were even some pricier models that sounded worse than the M9.

Despite not being the latest flavour of the month, the M9 still holds its own as a TOTL pair, IMHO.

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #2,610 of 3,155
After buying the IER-Z1R I don't listen to the M9 that much any more, so you could say it's my upgrade.
But the Z1R sounds quite different despite the nearly identical frequency response, so in that sense it is not an upgrade but a different flavor.
The really special thing about the M9 is the combination of detail, warmth and imaging, with that lack of BA timbre and I can't think of a direct upgrade.

Based on descriptions the U12T looks like the direct upgrade, but when I had a chance to listen to it briefly (albeit without having the M9 for comparison) I was not that impressed, certainly not enough to consider spending 2x the money compared to the M9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back