Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 12, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #2,492 of 3,155
Yeah that's where I am now with IEM's. The M9's are worth it but it seems if I want a real jump in quality (which would realistically yield a boost of no more than 10%), I'd have to spend 2k at minimum or more. Another pair at 2k for only a 10% increase? Diminishing returns at it's finest.

I lack big over ears so I'll start refining that kit now. A good pair of planars? My dream pair with elctrostatic drivers? This is also first world problems at its finest.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,493 of 3,155
This might be more of a general question, but I am looking to get these as they seem very highly rated - but I want to get some custom silicone tips made for them (from ADV).
This would be my first experience with custom tips. In my mind (apart from the extra price) it seems like a great idea, should increase comfort and I won't have to worry about tip rolling.

I'm just wondering whether it would affect the intended sound too much, as Sony created them with their tips in mind, and not tips that fit in my ear perfectly.
Any advice?
In the past I experimented with custom tips on my Etymotic IEMs, with audible benefits imo (not everyone agrees). However, I would argue that the Etys were able to afford custom tips by design: a) their tuning was dead neutral so they could affora a somewhat meatier presentation that the custom tips created, and b) the idea of extending the bore well inside the ear canal was already a fundamental part of the Etys' design, that the custom tips repicated with even greater efficiency. Indeed, Etymotic were officially offering custom tips as an option when I first got into the game, advocating for their benefits.

However, Sony hasn't tuned the M9 with custom fitting in mind; in fact I believe they actually compensated for this when they tuned the M9 with more grunt in the low end against a more typical studio/stage monitor tuning (for this tuning, see interviews around the M9 official introduction). The fact that they left the custom fitting game to their 'Just Ear' line, along with the fact that the M9 steer masterfully sideways from a dead-neutral reference tuning, means—in my book— that the M9 are probably designed to sound their best as universal monitors with universal tips.

Anyways, that's my two cents; but keep in mind that I, personally, am so happy with the M9 as is that I wouldn't change them any further than the usual well-regarded minor tweaks, such as using Final Type E tips and bypassing Android audio via UAPP on my ZX507. Obviously YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #2,495 of 3,155
Yeah that's where I am now with IEM's. The M9's are worth it but it seems if I want a real jump in quality (which would realistically yield a boost of no more than 10%), I'd have to spend 2k at minimum or more. Another pair at 2k for only a 10% increase? Diminishing returns at it's finest.

I lack big over ears so I'll start refining that kit now. A good pair of planars? My dream pair with elctrostatic drivers? This is also first world problems at its finest.
10 percent increase in technical performance maybe sometimes even 25/30 percent but none have similar god tier timbre, coherence and imaging except 'maybe' the Aroma jewel from my experience (M9 still has better midrange though)

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #2,496 of 3,155
10 percent increase in technical performance maybe sometimes even 25/30 percent but none have similar god tier timbre, coherence and imaging except 'maybe' the Aroma jewel from my experience (M9 still has better midrange though)
I must admit I am extremely impressed with the oriolus isabellae that I bought used for $355. I recommend these highly for vocals and intense listening.

Jan 16, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #2,498 of 3,155
Im just disappointed, after contacted my sony service center in my country, they stated that they couldnot fix my iem after warranty periods end, they only can replace m9 with brand new unit when warranty period still on.

I asked why, they said its impossible to fix the iem since the sparepart is so small, repairing is impossible they said, so yeah sony aftersales sucks, my question still not answered, regarding how much cost should i paid if my unit broken instead i got painful reality that im basically on my own if warranty period already ends.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #2,499 of 3,155
Im just disappointed, after contacted my sony service center in my country, they stated that they couldnot fix my iem after warranty periods end, they only can replace m9 with brand new unit when warranty period still on.

I asked why, they said its impossible to fix the iem since the sparepart is so small, repairing is impossible they said, so yeah sony aftersales sucks, my question still not answered, regarding how much cost should i paid if my unit broken instead i got painful reality that im basically on my own if warranty period already ends.
It's a throw away society !

Jan 16, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,500 of 3,155

They stated that they could not fix or replace your iem after warranty but we all know they could if they wanted to. I know when sony had a mass ps3 failure in the early ps3 & everyone had to pay for the fix where as xbox had no warranty problems. I like sony products but have never liked their warranty service.

Jan 16, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #2,501 of 3,155

what kind of problem they have?

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #2,505 of 3,155
The flter become dirty, where can i buy the spare in case i need it
First, try to clean it with an cleaning kit (those kits that contain that special putty/dough like this one. I cleaned my IER-M9 several times with these and it works perfect. So far, they did not clogg when using this from time to time.

71txYpVLCSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

But you can't buy/replace the foam officially from Sony. They only offer to replace them. There are similar foams that you can use, but you can't get exactly this one.

You can buy similar foam at lot of companies that have no relation with in-ear companies. This type of foam is used in a lot of products.

Also Final sells several types of tuning foams for their Make Series, they can be used just fine with the IER-M9 too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back