Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #2,476 of 3,155
Anyone here have experience RMA after post warranty period ends ?! Im interesting for this IEM but im not sure after read this experience in other sony user, what's the cost of repair/service charge in case there;'s imbalance or broken M9 ?! im afraid since this is more portable then the gear more prone to failure, i just want to make sure the policy, in my country last time i know they are not provide services for their product, only replacement.
For what it's worth,

Sony replaced my second hand eBay bought ZX300 player after knicking the back when changing the battery. They sent me a brand new ZX500 as a replacement.

I've heard several other good experiences with Sony customer support, but from personal experience it's the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,477 of 3,155
For what it's worth,

Sony replaced my second hand eBay bought ZX300 player after knicking the back when changing the battery. They sent me a brand new ZX500 as a replacement.

I've heard several other good experiences with Sony customer support, but from personal experience it's the best customer service I've ever experienced.
That's the ex unit from authorized dealer with invoice i supposed ?! in several past page, i saw the m9 user got brand new replacement as well, and it;'s still on warranty, It seemed like different product has different/no equal treatment, well i guess i will wait another opinion then

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,478 of 3,155
I agree with your assessment. For me, the M9 turned out to be sort of a conundrum. It is incredibly detailed for the price and very neutral yet warm in the mid bass zone, but I do get occasional in ear pain due to the treble forwardness. In comparison to other Iem's, it sounds like the M9's have more treble quantity that causes it to feel a bit sharp. Ironically, I think that sensation of sharpness also makes me perceive it as being incredibly detailed. Now I'm looking for an iem that offers a balance between those two things.
You know, I did notice that these can actually cause some fatigue. It might be because I put them too loud due to them needing a bit more power than the 18+'s. I have them EQ'd and they're perfect for me. I do agree that the bass is warm too.

I wanted to add that the M9's have a far more holographic sound that UE's offering. I'm listening to Front Line Assembly's 'Tactical Neural Implant' and the sense of space in the production is pretty sweet. There's real dimensionality to where any given sound is coming from. Instrument separation is on par to the 18+. I cant say one has better separation over the other. I gave my buddy my UE's since I do love the M9's so I can't compare that again. I do know they both sounded good on separation.

As usual, all this is dependent on the source files. Some albums have better production vs others and mixing is also key here. A lot of modern mixing sucks and the Sony's have finally started showing that. The UE's are more forgiving on less than stellar mixes.

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #2,479 of 3,155
You know, I did notice that these can actually cause some fatigue. It might be because I put them too loud due to them needing a bit more power than the 18+'s. I have them EQ'd and they're perfect for me. I do agree that the bass is warm too.

I wanted to add that the M9's have a far more holographic sound that UE's offering. I'm listening to Front Line Assembly's 'Tactical Neural Implant' and the sense of space in the production is pretty sweet. There's real dimensionality to where any given sound is coming from. Instrument separation is on par to the 18+. I cant say one has better separation over the other. I gave my buddy my UE's since I do love the M9's so I can't compare that again. I do know they both sounded good on separation.

As usual, all this is dependent on the source files. Some albums have better production vs others and mixing is also key here. A lot of modern mixing sucks and the Sony's have finally started showing that. The UE's are more forgiving on less than stellar mixes.
I do agree about the "holographic" sound. I perceived it as having multiple layers that go deep. I really liked the sound especially with some EQ so I was definitely guilty of turning up the volume. Comparing the Ier M9's to my newly acquired u18s, I think I would prefer the treble to be somewhere in between the two. M9 has a bit too much while U18s has it a bit too tame for my taste. Haven't personally tried the UE 18+, but I am both glad to know, and not too surprised to hear, that M9 held its own against it.

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2,480 of 3,155
This might be more of a general question, but I am looking to get these as they seem very highly rated - but I want to get some custom silicone tips made for them (from ADV).
This would be my first experience with custom tips. In my mind (apart from the extra price) it seems like a great idea, should increase comfort and I won't have to worry about tip rolling.

I'm just wondering whether it would affect the intended sound too much, as Sony created them with their tips in mind, and not tips that fit in my ear perfectly.
Any advice?

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #2,481 of 3,155
This might be more of a general question, but I am looking to get these as they seem very highly rated - but I want to get some custom silicone tips made for them (from ADV).
This would be my first experience with custom tips. In my mind (apart from the extra price) it seems like a great idea, should increase comfort and I won't have to worry about tip rolling.

I'm just wondering whether it would affect the intended sound too much, as Sony created them with their tips in mind, and not tips that fit in my ear perfectly.
Any advice?
Have you tried them with none custom tips ?
I find they are very comfortable iems as they are. As far as tip rolling is concerned I wouldn't necessarily say to just use sonys tips for best results at all. I find the azla sednaearfit vivid to be perfect for comfort & sound quality on the m9.

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #2,482 of 3,155
I have not purchased them yet (the iems or the tips), so I cannot test.
I'd just assume that having custom tips would be "the best" -- but looking for feedback from hopefully someone who has experience with custom tips + these iems, about if there will be any downsides of using custom tips with the ier-m9.

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #2,483 of 3,155
I'd just assume that having custom tips would be "the best" -- but looking for feedback from hopefully someone who has experience with custom tips + these iems, about if there will be any downsides of using custom tips with the ier-m9.
I would buy them standard first & see how you like the fit. Hardly any one bothers with custom fit tips as they are not necessary for sound quality or comfort if the iem fits well anyway. I'm sure custom tips would make the m9 stick out a lot more than they already do which could be annoying at times.

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #2,484 of 3,155
I jumped the gun on the Spinfit W1 tips for the ier-m9. Most dynamic experience, no issues, the treble is more "sparkly" I'd say.
I've hated my life trying to use the Final Type E tips and Sony Hybrids because of pressure buildup and fit.
The W1 just seems to be perfect, no pressure but amazing sound.
My Journey into audiophilia has now ended.

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #2,485 of 3,155
I do agree about the "holographic" sound. I perceived it as having multiple layers that go deep. I really liked the sound especially with some EQ so I was definitely guilty of turning up the volume. Comparing the Ier M9's to my newly acquired u18s, I think I would prefer the treble to be somewhere in between the two. M9 has a bit too much while U18s has it a bit too tame for my taste. Haven't personally tried the UE 18+, but I am both glad to know, and not too surprised to hear, that M9 held its own against it.
It's always a shock to perspective when I compare headphones/iem's across price ranges, at least with what I buy and own. Crazy to know that the ultimate ears 18+ have 6 drivers and the M9's have 5 yet the difference in sound seems as if the M9's have more drivers vs the 18's. I'm knocking UE's offering but they could use better tuning for sure. UE did treat me nice and they have their stellar warranty with those $200 full replacements.

So you're now on the 64 Audio boat? Is the jump in audio quality worth the premium? I still want the 12's but I think with the M9's I can now focus on getting my headphone kit up to par. I want to be able to get some big boy pairs to listen to.

I can also mention the decay on the M9's which is shorter and this leads to them having a smaller soundstage than the UE's. Drum heavy tracks are absolutely a joy to listen to.

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #2,486 of 3,155
I can't speak on the custom tips but I do have experience in tip rolling across all the pairs I've ever owned. In general tips do change the sound. It changes just enough for you to hear a difference. Probably a 5% change in general. I can't imagine it being bigger than that, which is negligible. I recall some tips affecting the lower frequencies until the bass did sound deeper but also muddier while others changed the higher ranges which made a pair a bit sibilant. Nothing some slight EQ adjustments cant fix. In general, the actual headphone or IEM will dictate how far tips can change the sound. Since the M9's are very neutral and tonally accurate, I don't think you'll have any issues. I did some tip rolling on these but I settled with Sony's offering. None of the tips changed the sound in any egregious way.

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #2,487 of 3,155
It's always a shock to perspective when I compare headphones/iem's across price ranges, at least with what I buy and own. Crazy to know that the ultimate ears 18+ have 6 drivers and the M9's have 5 yet the difference in sound seems as if the M9's have more drivers vs the 18's. I'm knocking UE's offering but they could use better tuning for sure. UE did treat me nice and they have their stellar warranty with those $200 full replacements.

So you're now on the 64 Audio boat? Is the jump in audio quality worth the premium? I still want the 12's but I think with the M9's I can now focus on getting my headphone kit up to par. I want to be able to get some big boy pairs to listen to.

I can also mention the decay on the M9's which is shorter and this leads to them having a smaller soundstage than the UE's. Drum heavy tracks are absolutely a joy to listen to.
I don't think it matters how many drivers or combinations of drivers an iem has its all about the tune to me. I have the u12t on my list also but am thinking of going directly to a oriolus traillii just see what all the hype is about in the so called high end game. Lol

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #2,488 of 3,155
I don't think it matters how many drivers or combinations of drivers an iem has its all about the tune to me. I have the u12t on my list also but am thinking of going directly to a oriolus traillii just see what all the hype is about in the so called high end game. Lol
Get the Aroma Jewel instead. Trailii has weak ass bass. Its great but has this 'lean' sorta vibe all around. Definitely not worth the huge price tag.

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #2,489 of 3,155
I am kinda not convinced about the 'high end' quirky class of IEMs tbh. Every single Noble I've tried have been lower treble canon tonal massacres. Didn't like any Empire Ears hype beast either. They are ok I guess but for that price? IDK. I genuinely liked Traillii and Jewel but much prefer the later. Its more 'articulate' sounding.

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #2,490 of 3,155
I am kinda not convinced about the 'high end' quirky class of IEMs tbh. Every single Noble I've tried have been lower treble canon tonal massacres. Didn't like any Empire Ears hype beast either. They are ok I guess but for that price? IDK. I genuinely liked Traillii and Jewel but much prefer the later. Its more 'articulate' sounding.
Yes the jewel is also on my buy list along with the multiverse mason & fir xenon 6.
Unfortunately I will have to blind buy these because I can't try them first over here in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back