Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 13, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #2,446 of 3,155
Just chiming in to report that after 6 months of ownership of the M9 and 5 months of running them on a ZX507 through UAPP / Final Type E tips, I still find myself looking for this set to listen to music even though I own an excellent stereo setup and a solid over-ear hp setup (see signature).

Although I'm sure there are lots of other options out there that offer different flavours or better performance in certain aspects, rarely have I found myself this content in over 20 years of my audiophile journey; worth a mention!

On a different note, I was always curious about the Stagedriver and ProPhile series from InEar; anyone with experience here, and how do they compare with the M9?
I have exactly the same impression as you. I have other headphones but I always return to the m9 driven by the zx507. Simply phenomenal.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #2,447 of 3,155
Just chiming in to report that after 6 months of ownership of the M9 and 5 months of running them on a ZX507 through UAPP / Final Type E tips, I still find myself looking for this set to listen to music even though I own an excellent stereo setup and a solid over-ear hp setup (see signature).

Although I'm sure there are lots of other options out there that offer different flavours or better performance in certain aspects, rarely have I found myself this content in over 20 years of my audiophile journey; worth a mention!

On a different note, I was always curious about the Stagedriver and ProPhile series from InEar; anyone with experience here, and how do they compare with the M9?
By the way... I feel that the zx507 improves the sound considerably after 20 minutes of activity. Do you also have this impression?

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #2,448 of 3,155
By the way... I feel that the zx507 improves the sound considerably after 20 minutes of activity. Do you also have this impression?
Nah, I think that's just your mind tuning in... My bliss starts straight from the fist few notes!:dt880smile: (... but I don't really fuss about such details)

A bit out of context, but lately I've also been using the M9 to listen to podcasts etc and I noticed how incredibly less fatiguing they were compared to my gen. 2 AirPods! With the AirPods, my eardrums actually start to hurt after an hour of listening; not even close with the M9, says a thing or two about how a proper IEM can be seen as an investment to your ears' health and save you a few $/€ on doctors' bills!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #2,449 of 3,155
I've tried the Stage Diver 4 and Stage Diver 5 and ProPhile8.

Compared to the Stage Diver 4 and 5, I think the M9 has a more natural timbre. The M9 probably is slightly better in technicalities and soundstage. Maybe these two Stage Divers have better bass texturing compared to the M9 though.

The ProPhile 8 has better technicalities than the M9, though it has worse BA timbre. The ProPhile 8 is more versatile as it has 4 potential tuning options via tuning switches, which the M9 of course doesn't have.
Thanks for the prompt reply, looks like the PP8 will stay on my radar though I don't really feel the urge to venture further than the M9 any time soon!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2,450 of 3,155
Thanks for the prompt reply, looks like the PP8 will stay on my radar though I don't really feel the urge to venture further than the M9 any time soon!
I had a listen to InEars ProMission and ProPhile 8 in September, and liked the ProMission quite a bit.
Wrote about my impressiones in various posts here:
https://www.head-fi.org/search/11650880/?q=Promission&c[users]=surfgeorge&o=relevance
Please take my impressions with a huge grain of salt, because the time was a bit short and conditions less than ideal (only had my Mojo og and the Moondrop Variations for comparison)

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #2,451 of 3,155

I was torn among these too and also custom art fibae 7u was on my radar, but I'm glad I went with the m9, I couldn't imagine a better timbre and technicalties for my preferences, I like the other iems I have too, but if I have to choose only one pair to live on I would have no doubts.

I bought another set of deep mount in L size, the fit in general is even better, with M size I felt the left iem sliding out, but yesterday with L size I had the feeling they were too big, I don't know how it's possible, I must have very weird ear canals

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #2,452 of 3,155
I was torn among these too and also custom art fibae 7u was on my radar, but I'm glad I went with the m9, I couldn't imagine a better timbre and technicalties for my preferences, I like the other iems I have too, but if I have to choose only one pair to live on I would have no doubts.

I bought another set of deep mount in L size, the fit in general is even better, with M size I felt the left iem sliding out, but yesterday with L size I had the feeling they were too big, I don't know how it's possible, I must have very weird ear canals
did you test the EPNI1000?

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #2,453 of 3,155
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,454 of 3,155
I bought four pairs at accessoryjack, but the first one my little son decided to eat after just two months of use =~(
Hope he's fine :L3000: anyway nope, still not, cause I like very much the deep mount and I prefer silicon tips and second reason, as said before, I refuse to spend 24€ for just 1 pair, when I'll find them at a reasonable price I'll give them a try.

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #2,456 of 3,155
Welp, I got my EPNI1000.... and they itch my ears alot.

Just like my other old musicbee foams. 😥

Did anyone experience this when using them? Im kinda hoping it goes away with time but Im not willing to irritate my ears any further.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,457 of 3,155
So I have just received my M9's an hour ago and I'm here at work listening to them; breaking them in as we say here. I'm coming from some much beloved UE 18+ Pro's, the universal variant and most likely third gen, and I have to say the M9's are a clear improvement. Sculptures Of Anything Goes by Arctic Monkeys is playing right now and wow, that bass! It's thick and hits deeper than the 18+'s. I fully intend to EQ these because I enjoy tweaking my headphones to my liking but on direct source off my WM1A I can already hear a fuller sound compared to the UE's.

All around smoother but off the bat it seems like the UE's have a wider/deeper soundstage. The M9's have a smaller soundstage but we'll see how that changes as I adjust to the new pair. For now that's the biggest change I can pick up. Because of the smaller soundstage it's a bit more difficult to separate instruments but the separation is there. The UE's have a more 3D effect as well.

The M9's also are way more power hungry! Almost all tracks need 20 points more of volume off the high gain balanced side from the walkman. I've never owned such a power hungry pair. Some of the vinyl rips I have can actually max out the required volume on these. The UE's never had to go over 100 much. The M9's hit the full 120 on the vinyl rip of AM that I tend to use to benchmark audio.

Anyway, the gist is this: I love these and they're a clear upgrade but they also taught me, finally, that no IEM or headphone will ever be the endgame pair. Like life, it's just a matter of pro's and con's. I've picked a new poison for now.

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #2,458 of 3,155
Guys I think Z1R 4.4 cable is upgrade over M9 4.4
Especially on bass and loudness or just placebo effect ☺️😉😅

Attachments

• DB483EAA-5C74-445C-9229-435B113F0FFC.jpeg
    DB483EAA-5C74-445C-9229-435B113F0FFC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0B8D1521-0F28-4C36-B3DB-7DED268CBBCD.jpeg
    0B8D1521-0F28-4C36-B3DB-7DED268CBBCD.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #2,459 of 3,155
So I have just received my M9's an hour ago and I'm here at work listening to them; breaking them in as we say here. I'm coming from some much beloved UE 18+ Pro's, the universal variant and most likely third gen, and I have to say the M9's are a clear improvement. Sculptures Of Anything Goes by Arctic Monkeys is playing right now and wow, that bass! It's thick and hits deeper than the 18+'s. I fully intend to EQ these because I enjoy tweaking my headphones to my liking but on direct source off my WM1A I can already hear a fuller sound compared to the UE's.

All around smoother but off the bat it seems like the UE's have a wider/deeper soundstage. The M9's have a smaller soundstage but we'll see how that changes as I adjust to the new pair. For now that's the biggest change I can pick up. Because of the smaller soundstage it's a bit more difficult to separate instruments but the separation is there. The UE's have a more 3D effect as well.

The M9's also are way more power hungry! Almost all tracks need 20 points more of volume off the high gain balanced side from the walkman. I've never owned such a power hungry pair. Some of the vinyl rips I have can actually max out the required volume on these. The UE's never had to go over 100 much. The M9's hit the full 120 on the vinyl rip of AM that I tend to use to benchmark audio.

Anyway, the gist is this: I love these and they're a clear upgrade but they also taught me, finally, that no IEM or headphone will ever be the endgame pair. Like life, it's just a matter of pro's and con's. I've picked a new poison for now.
Yeah incredibly greedy of power, have you tried your superbax with m9?

Dec 16, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #2,460 of 3,155
Current setup. Tips pictured are the stock hybrid silicone. But i switch to the EP-NI1000 often.

Dongle is the newer Shanling UA2 Plus.

Id love one of the new Sony DAPs, but this does just fine. .
20221205_140935.jpg
Honestly a great combo. Pairing the M9's with Sony DAP's or other high-end DAP's only create a marginal improvement.

Honestly I find myself reaching for my BTR5 more often then my AK player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back