Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #2,041 of 3,204
Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. It's just that based on my own messing around, I find that ief neutral is good enough as a reference point based on what I hear. Not perfect, but good enough to me. Obviously there has been a lot of debates over the years regarding what makes a perfect "neutral speaker" reference target (which I don't wish to get too much into lol). But I'll still argue that the sony m9 is waaay too warm to be considered uncoloured/neutral/transparent. Warm-neutral makes sense, but I still find the sony m9 to be warmer than something like the VE7, which is by itself already neutral-warmish.
Well the IER-M9 is used by PA Engineers for monitoring and live mixing. But it is a stage monitor and you want/need more bass then in am Studio Monitor for that.

It's actually not_ that_ warm imho. I mean, most music is warm. People like warm sounds and so most of the music that exists is mixed/mastered warm.

If something is recorded colder (like the album Sapporo and Tokyo from Tatsuya Maruyama), it sounds cold.

So the IER-M9 doesn't make cold music sound warm. It does have a bit stronger bass, that is true, bit without a bleed into the mids.

I don't think the VE7 is warm. The VE7 is extremely neutral and used by lots of professionals for monitoring and mixing due to that.

For me personally, the VE7 and FA9 are pretty much the definition of neutral. As neutral as it gets

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #2,042 of 3,204
TOTL doesn't really mean anything. The Beats TOTL still are worse than the XBA-N1 which is Sonys Every level
I want to test how true what you say is. Its as if you are acussing other TOTL are scam.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #2,043 of 3,204
I want to test how true what you say is. Its as if you are acussing other TOTL are scam.
Thats not what they are saying... They are trying to explain that "top of the line" doesn't mean anything in the context of quality. A crappy company that makes bad headphones can still have "top of the line", but it still will be bad because the company is crappy.

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,044 of 3,204
ToTL is very subjective IMO and doesn't necessarily mean expensive. I have had some experience with 'ToTLs' and a vast majority of them were disappointing to say the least. LCD i4 with cipher was incredible and befitting the price tag. Legend evo on the other hand, had annoying driver flex and thin mids. LCD 5 was straight up garbage. Cramped stage, shouty upper mids. Diana V2 sounded like tin cans clashing together. None of these ToTLs could hold a candle to the timbre of HD6X0 series and M9, except ZMF Atrium and Susvara

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2,045 of 3,204
Thats not what they are saying... They are trying to explain that "top of the line" doesn't mean anything in the context of quality. A crappy company that makes bad headphones can still have "top of the line", but it still will be bad because the company is crappy.

Thats not TOTL, that is their flagship, their flagship isnt TOTL earphone, but Sony flagship it is.

Anyway, as I had own both Z1R and M9 (and M7 actually), The Z1R is different presentation on their own. Big sound, large presentation with fun tuning, big sub bass with superb impact, more neutral lower mids to mids and great extension on highs. Fun Grande presentation in simple words.

While M9 and M7 is totally different presentation, they are not in the position of becoming Z1R's little brothers, more like different section for professional musicians for being detailed and true monitor (m stands for monitor, isnt that obvious?) with great isolation, more "correct" soundstage, not too large, not narrow, with precision imaging, with details and speed.

And the M7 is like M9 younger brother, about 80% of M9 sound roughly, great mids, but bit cut down on high details mostly, both are towards warm, so vocals presentations are thick with decent body, but thanks to the open BA design that Sony have created, the uplifted lower mid - mid bass have great control, not overwhelming and muddy the rest of the frequencies.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #2,046 of 3,204
Does the m9s have trouble handling music with piano or string instruments in general in them? Because months ago I sent back my m9s to Sony because any song with a piano in it would make my iems buzz. The pair I get back also has the same the problem. Is this a common problem or something? I was too lazy to send them back again and was hoping burning them in would fix the issue. It didn't. Anyways, I have a month of warranty on them left should I bother sending them back again or will have most likely run across the same issue?

Can someone one listen to this song for me without any equing and tell me if it sounds normal to you or not. It's the very beginning that sounds horrible to me.

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #2,047 of 3,204
Does the m9s have trouble handling music with piano or string instruments in general in them? Because months ago I sent back my m9s to Sony because any song with a piano in it would make my iems buzz. The pair I get back also has the same the problem. Is this a common problem or something? I was too lazy to send them back again and was hoping burning them in would fix the issue. It didn't. Anyways, I have a month of warranty on them left should I bother sending them back again or will have most likely run across the same issue?

Can someone one listen to this song for me without any equing and tell me if it sounds normal to you or not. It's the very beginning that sounds horrible to me.

sounds normal, like a piano. no distortion or buzzing

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2,048 of 3,204

Here with my Sony IER M9 since feb 2021 > same words from

osiris1 :​

no distortion or buzzing,​

sounds normal,
like a piano and violin.​

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #2,050 of 3,204
I must've had bad luck to get the same problem twice in that case.
No luck, I don't know!
Have you tried elsewhere, on other sources or at a friend's or a store allowing you to connect your M9 to be 100% sure?

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #2,051 of 3,204

No problem with this track at all ier-m9 with utws5 bluetooth

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #2,052 of 3,204

Sounds perfectly fine to me. Tested with the TA-ZH1ES and the M11 Plus.

I also listened to other songs using an well recorded Piano, sounds perfectly fine too.

So absolutely no issue with piano and especially string instruments. I listen to a lot of string instruments and they sound magnificent.

Sometimes they could have a tiny tiny bit strong upper mids to my taste (especially with Tatsuya Maruyama), but thats something completely different than what you describe.

Are you capable in recording that issue somehow or maybe describing it a bit more detailed?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #2,054 of 3,204
When you own a Sony dap so all your gear is connected to 4.4 balanced.... Gotta love adapter hell!

20220709_190924.jpg

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #2,055 of 3,204
When you own a Sony dap so all your gear is connected to 4.4 balanced.... Gotta love adapter hell!

20220709_190924.jpg

Time to upgrade that BTR3 to BTR7 and ditch that adapter :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back