Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,832 of 3,226
Maybe it's imagination but like said before it adds some more dynamic into the M9 sound, that also does'nt mean that none other DAP's or devices work in same way.
I have to agree with you. I have both the ZX507 and WM1AM2. The IER-M9 can deliver extremely strong dynamics, but its going to require balanced connection on the Walkman to sound stronger. ZX507 already does a good job at adding to the dynamics of the IER-M9.

Also on the WM1AM2, IER-M9 is able to present a shockingly ultra fast and strong transients. The ier-m9 bass with wm1am2 is much more aggressive and forceful, there’s a real sense of air movement with every bass note. You really sense the speed and punch of every music note and you also feel like as in you are at the original location where the music is recorded as the IER-m9 has a spherical like soundstage that presents depth, height, width and instrument spread with the vocals sounding really real-life like.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,833 of 3,226
My M9 is here!

I'm really liking them a lot and thankfully the only fit issues I've had are that they might be a bit too shallow fitting with certain ear tips - some eartips just can't even get into my ear canal. But larger diameter eartips (like Xelastecs or KBEar07 L/XL) or longer stem tips (like the CP100) work perfectly for me! Maybe some slight vacuum issues but nothing too bad or uncomfortable.

To my ears, the M9 has a beautifully balanced tuning that handles basically everything I throw at it with ease. It's warm but not too warm and I think this increases note weight in a very pleasant and musical way. Bass is very good for a BA, and dare I say, better than many DDs I've tried! Treble is nicely extended. But mids are definitely the star of the show here - very pleasant, cohesive, and resolving.

Stage is decent for an IEM and imaging is surprisingly great! Separation is good as well.

For the price, I can't imagine many IEMs beating the M9.

But, these are all things that have been said about the M9 for quite some time now so the big question remaining is how it stacks up against the indomitable U12T.

And not surprisingly, I can't deny that the U12T is an objective upgrade in almost every measure and for me, the only thing that M9 can compete in is vocal presentation and this is a preferential thing because mids on the U12T are nothing short of amazing even if they aren't 100% to my tastes - this is to say that the U12T is objectively better than the M9. When comparing clarity, bass, treble, separation, imaging, and stage, the U12T is noticeably better. Listening to the U12T, I almost forget they are IEMs and they outperform even some open-back headphones I've tried which is mind blowing. @Precogvision said that they are the most similar to a two-channel system that he's heard in an IEM (maybe other than the Subtonic Storm) and I'm inclined to agree. The U12T completely shattered my understanding of what is possible in the IEM form factor.

But as amazing as it is, the comparison between the two isn't exactly fair - I purchased my M9 for $1100 less than what I paid for the my U12T and I must ask myself whether I think the U12T is worth the premium I paid over the M9 for it. The answer to this question is a resounding, "no." $1100 can buy a lot of things (another TOTL IEM or even a brand new MacBook Air for example). And while the U12T is absolutely spectacular and remains at the top of my tier list, I find the M9 to be the better value proposition. In fact, I'd reckon that it's the best value kilobuck IEM available now (even more so now that price has dropped).

And so which one am I keeping then? Probably the M9. Despite being not quite as good as the U12T, the exorbitant price of the U12T really limits the venues I can feel comfortable using it. I wouldn't bat an eye taking the M9 out of the house or bringing it on a trip but the U12T, being over twice the price will never leave the house without me having an anxiety attack. Which then begs another question - if I'm only going to listen to the U12T at home, then why not just get a pair of open back headphones? My U12T is likely being returned this week and with the money I get back I think I'll just buy a set of Sennheiser or Focal open backs or a Z1R and pocket the rest. M9 is staying for the long haul!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #1,834 of 3,226
Excellent Comparison @drewbadour Thanks so much! Not gonna lie, you've now made me want to try the U12T. lol. Alas that won't be anytime soon, my next purchase will be a set of Closed back cans, but who knows maybe someday way down the road I might get to try the U12T.

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #1,835 of 3,226
My M9 is here!
Thanks for the detailed impressions! Out of curiosity - what source did you use? I find the M9 to be quite revealing and demanding.
I really hope as well that I will have the chance to hear the U12T sometime in the future.

I love the coherence of the M9 and the combination of BA detail with an almost DD like smoothness and note weight.
My main concern about the U12T is that it may have some of the BA grit and weightlessness I have experienced in some other IEMs.
And the price is the elephant in the room, especially considering that you need to add a decent cable on top of the U12T. Ouch.
So I don't see it happening anytime soon.

If you keep the M9 - after finding the right tip (and source) try upgrade cables.
My impressions with the CEMA PS (I was not willing to spend >$400 on their Tianwaitian, even though I now wish I had...)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-m9-impressions-thread.897604/post-16424602

Cheers!

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,836 of 3,226
Also on the WM1AM2, IER-M9 is able to present a shockingly ultra fast and strong transients. The ier-m9 bass with wm1am2 is much more aggressive and forceful, there’s a real sense of air movement with every bass note. You really sense the speed and punch of every music note and you also feel like as in you are at the original location where the music is recorded as the IER-m9 has a spherical like soundstage that presents depth, height, width and instrument spread with the vocals sounding really real-life like.

Week ago I set the WM1AM2 on preorder, delivery announced between may-juli :wink:

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #1,837 of 3,226
My M9 is here!

Maybe some slight vacuum issues but nothing too bad or uncomfortable.
The issue is not about comfort but every vaccum (even if its only very slightly) is changing the sound.

So even if the vacuum is at an level where you might not even feel it, it still influences the sound. The stronger the vacuum, the stronger the influence.

Vacuum is causing suction/pressure on the eardrum and so influence on how it moves when sound waves hit it.

So if you have even the slightest feel of any vacuum, you can be sure that it influences the sound noticable. The point where you feel it (no matter how strong) is way beyond the point where it influences the sound.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #1,838 of 3,226
This Sony iem tip don’t have vacuum seal issue. It feels like very soft comply but has its own synthetic leather outer layer. It’s very comfortable for long duration wearing. As for sound signature, it seems to be boost mid range clarity with abit of mid bass cut as compared to the triple comfort stock tips
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/ep-ni1000

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,839 of 3,226
Just got this IEM 2nd hand for $600. It's been amazing so far, except for that occasional treble peak at 11k. I simply EQ'd it out ( I copied the Band 10 PEQ from here: PDF Link )

Now it's the best sounding IEM in my collection!

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,840 of 3,226
Just got this IEM 2nd hand for $600. It's been amazing so far, except for that occasional treble peak at 11k. I simply EQ'd it out ( I copied the Band 10 PEQ from here: PDF Link )

Now it's the best sounding IEM in my collection!
The peak in this measurement is due to the measurement instruments. I just checked my IER-M9 and there is no peak at 11k. It goes pretty much straight/flat/linear from 5k to 17k

Even Crinacles Setup (which does have a lot of peaks and dips that aren't really there) doesn't show the peak. It only shows the typical 10k dip (which make 11k look like a peak, but if you look at 8k, you see its flat in reality)

If you really hear an peak, that might be related to something else and is just an coincidence with the measurement you found. I had treble peaks back when i used silicone tips, but i no longer have any of them since i switched to foam (neither with the Sony ones, nor with 3rd party)

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,841 of 3,226
The peak in this measurement is due to the measurement instruments. I just checked my IER-M9 and there is no peak at 11k. It goes pretty much straight/flat/linear from 5k to 17k
Well for some reason, it removes a lot of the occasional irritating treble i get from some tracks. Please try it yourself on modern tracks like: Deacon - Long Run (feat. Nina Nesbitt) and Craig David - Fill Me In, and let me know if my unit is faulty.

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #1,842 of 3,226
The issue is not about comfort but every vaccum (even if its only very slightly) is changing the sound.

So even if the vacuum is at an level where you might not even feel it, it still influences the sound. The stronger the vacuum, the stronger the influence.

Vacuum is causing suction/pressure on the eardrum and so influence on how it moves when sound waves hit it.

So if you have even the slightest feel of any vacuum, you can be sure that it influences the sound noticable. The point where you feel it (no matter how strong) is way beyond the point where it influences the sound.
That's exactly what I meant! I'm having minor issues with vacuum that require me to play around with angle to make it not have that suction effect. But otherwise it's good!

I feel some sort of vent would help with this though, like the U12T has with the Apex/Atom modules.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,843 of 3,226
That's exactly what I meant! I'm having minor issues with vacuum that require me to play around with angle to make it not have that suction effect. But otherwise it's good!

I feel some sort of vent would help with this though, like the U12T has with the Apex/Atom modules.
This is exactly why Sony developed the EP-NI1000. An vent would decrease the amount of Isolaion but as this is an professional tool, this is not an option. Protection of hearing is the first and most important feature of an Stage IEM

Apr 21, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,844 of 3,226
I've seen many recommended EP-NI1000. I'm using stock silicone and final audio type e and I love them, no fit issues. I checked EP-NI1000 and it seems that it has a foam. Haven't tried foams but if I'm looking for more clarity/resolution/details, should I still try EP-NI1000? AFAIK silicone types usually sound better than foams

Apr 21, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #1,845 of 3,226
I've seen many recommended EP-NI1000. I'm using stock silicone and final audio type e and I love them, no fit issues. I checked EP-NI1000 and it seems that it has a foam. Haven't tried foams but if I'm looking for more clarity/resolution/details, should I still try EP-NI1000? AFAIK silicone types usually sound better than foams
Foams tend to absorb the high frequency energy and bass energy a little more. What is reduced means you will be hearing more of the other frequencies that have not be reduced.

I find the EP-NI1000 to tone down the bass thump and sibilant sounds more. It has quite tremendous clarity and details in the mid range but at the expense of strong bass and treble energy. It’s quite a different sound from the final audio type E.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back