Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #1,067 of 3,155
I have the w30 and w60. If you like the w30 sound signature then the W60 is the obvious upgrade. Putting them next to each other they both have similar overall bass emphasis but the W60 is quicker and has an overall clearer and holographic presentation of the mids.

I only just received my m9 in the Aussie A2A special ($899AUD) so I am still planning with tips and using it as my daily driver.

Moving from the w30 to m9 is an upgrade as expected but the main thing I think you will notice is the 'clearer' mids which I attribute the reduced lower mids and the overall higher treble.

I would not consider the ier m9 such a leap over the W60 and I think at this level there is much more subjectivity for user fr preference. The w60 has a higher bass 'shelf' to my ears and would consider them bassier across the range over the m9. The m9 had a more forward mid range (upper mid) but I would not consider it forward like my Fiio fh3.

The w60 has a more grand presentation in comparison to the more 'accurate' m9. Both provide ample detail retrieval and I find very musical.

As for a source, I am using mostly a Samsung galaxy s10e (shoot me now) so take that as you will.

I bought and sold the fiio BTR5 as even in USB mode there was no improvement to the smartphone. I listen at 3/4 volume when using the m9 compared to 1/2 volume with w60.

I use an Astell and Kern ak10 for desktop use and I hear a bit more 'crispness' to the presentation in comparison. The ak10 had plenty of power and I always ensure I turn it right down to 0 before plugging in my IEMs to avoid blowing my earphones/eardrums.

I am eager to try higher end sources but also sceptical about the actual improvements for iem use.

Comfort at the moment goes to the w60/w30 for me and I think this would be universal. They just pop in, give a seal instantly and disappear. I am getting a little bit of soreness with the m9 around the concha/entrance to ear canal. I have currently settled on my old ue900s silicone tips as they are short, soft and have a shallower and easily achieved seal. I find trying to get a deeper seal is uncomfortable and pushes the body of the iem too tightly against my ear however YMMV. I think my sensitive ears will adjust though and it may just be finding the right angle and/or tip. Fit wise these don't feel like they are going anywhere.

Another quick question to the masses regarding tip sizing with hybrid and TC: is the following acronym assumption correct ?
MS - medium SHORT
M - medium
ML - medium LONG

Apologies for including some of my initial random thoughts in this response. 😳

MS = medium small, the size between medium and small
ML = medium large, the size between medium and large

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,071 of 3,155
MS = medium small, the size between medium and small
ML = medium large, the size between medium and large

Is there a link or something to confirm this? I'm confused then for what SS and LL standa for. Putting the mediums back to back I couldn't tell a diameter difference in width.

Its largely academic as one would just try them all out and see which fits best.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #1,073 of 3,155
Is there a link or something to confirm this? I'm confused then for what SS and LL standa for. Putting the mediums back to back I couldn't tell a diameter difference in width.

Its largely academic as one would just try them all out and see which fits best.

nope just from common sense and based on my personal experiences LL - L - ML - M - MS - S - SS diameter differences is subtle , normally on retail they sold in 3 size L M S, but for flagship IEMs, they came with extra sizes in between them. LL means "XL" if that easier to understand, same goes with SS is "XS"

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #1,074 of 3,155
Just a few pics of the fit of the ier m9 (not much out there on the internet). I consider myself to have slightly shallow ears and cognisant of how far an iem protrudes.

Also I don't mind the shallow fit because one of my ear canals has a very shallow and acute bend. The smallest flange on a narrow bore triple flange has a hard time providing a deep insertion!

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210114_162627.jpg
    20210114_162627.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210114_162555.jpg
    20210114_162555.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #1,075 of 3,155
Just a few pics of the fit of the ier m9 (not much out there on the internet). I consider myself to have slightly shallow ears and cognisant of how far an iem protrudes.

Also I don't mind the shallow fit because one of my ear canals has a very shallow and acute bend. The smallest flange on a narrow bore triple flange has a hard time providing a deep insertion!

I have same issue of small / narrow/ twisty canal ears, therefore the solution is that I get custom silicon eartips for my iem.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #1,076 of 3,155
A couple people have PM'ed me asking about package forwarding from Australia (for addictedtoaudio orders) and costs. I ended up using ausff as they had a promo running and decent reviews. The total cost for shipping ended up being 88aud for 5-10 days AusPost standard shipping to the US plus insurance for the value of the IEMs (paid 899aud). They had no issues recieving the package even with signature verification required, though I had a hard time (took two weeks of phone calls/emails) getting my account verified due to my submitted documents not matching my shipping address,

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,078 of 3,155
I find the spiral dots ++ are a weird set of tips for the m9. It changes the signature. Sure its comfortable. But it doesnt feel like a sony sound if that makes sense.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,080 of 3,155
Here’s how it looks. The m9 with the duw02 cable. Taking it out requires a bit of effort (so thank god the plugs are interchangeable)

Attachments

• D625C2F1-E106-4FCD-B4F0-095BB29CF671.jpeg
    D625C2F1-E106-4FCD-B4F0-095BB29CF671.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back