Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #932 of 3,204
Hey all, my review of the Sony IER-M9 was just published here: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/sony-ier-m9-review-the-kilobuck-benchmark

A more critical approach as usual, but hopefully it's informative :)

IMG_8332.JPG
To avoid the suction effect, go for smaller tips! I think the M9 is best enjoyed with a deep insertion using the smallest of the included tips as possible. Try out the size M or MS and shove it in as deep as it will go!

Now I use the JVC SpiralDot++ M tips. They are fantastic and changed the game for me in regards to consistency. The SD++ has an almost foam like texture that won't cause a suction effect. I would highly recommend you trying a pair of JVC ++ tips! I also believe they improved the mid range very much.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #933 of 3,204
What does it improve by using high impadence adapter (80/220 ohm) with the 3.5mm jack?
At least in regards to the ZX300, I think I prefer using my M9 in 3.5mm mode as well. I believe the 3.5mm output to be more musical, more fun. It could also totally be in my head though...

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #934 of 3,204
Oct 13, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #935 of 3,204
Had an hour with the Focal Elear at a shop today, as I am looking for a full size headphone to pair with the Mojo or Hugo 2.

short summary - I felt the M9 did better in pretty much every aspect. Most surprising was that the soundstage was much better on the M9 compared to the open Elear.
Elear sounded “open” but not even really wide, and depth, position and layering was worlds better on the M9.
Described it here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/post-15899475

Focals in general are not well received as "Soundstage Monsters" -- haven't heard their Utopia.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #937 of 3,204
Thinking of trying these through Amazon since I can't access them anywhere locally.

I’d do this too but none of the ones on Amazon right now are shipped and sold by them, so return could be tricky.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #938 of 3,204
I’d do this too but none of the ones on Amazon right now are shipped and sold by them, so return could be tricky.
The Canadian site has a single pair directly from them. Just popped up recently. Going to grab it and see if the world of high-end IEMS are really as life changing as some say. Granted, I don't have a great source. What would be the best source out of a macbook pro/PC/pixel + apple dongle? Streaming with Amazon music HD for now.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #939 of 3,204
Paw s1 + ier m9 + sedna short light (Nice combo)

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #940 of 3,204
The Canadian site has a single pair directly from them. Just popped up recently. Going to grab it and see if the world of high-end IEMS are really as life changing as some say. Granted, I don't have a great source. What would be the best source out of a macbook pro/PC/pixel + apple dongle? Streaming with Amazon music HD for now.

Please post your impressions here, I’m very curious. A good dap would be best but apple dongle/iPhone or a good dongle for the pixel would probably be good. Out of the macbook or pc you’d want a usb dac.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #941 of 3,204
Just did a quick comparison, Laptop vs CHORD Mojo vs CHORD Hugo 2
Out of the laptop the M9 sounds quite detailed but flat, lacking in dynamics, depth and separation
Mojo adds significant depth, a sense of space and dynamics, darker background and much better separation, smoothness and detail, but is rather relaxed and laid back sounding.
Hugo 2 makes the M9 significantly more dynamic, punchy, increases definition and extension, imaging and separation.

In short - I think you can compare the M9 to your current IEMs with your sources but the gains with a good source are a big part of the performance you will get from them.
They also need quite some power to develop good dynamics.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #943 of 3,204
I would love to see Sony M9 version 2 with a semi vent or anything that works to help the pressure/suction issue. For the tuning, i pretty much like if the pinna gain is raised smoother just below etys pinna and a lil faster mid bass.

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #944 of 3,204
Bought an M9 today. Nice sounding iem, suction is painful.

Experiment more with the tips. You should not have a vacuum effect when using them, just a nice, snug seal.
It is a little tricky to get right, but if it's painful, something is definitely wrong.
Could even be an indication that your ear has got some problem.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #945 of 3,204
Just did a quick comparison, Laptop vs CHORD Mojo vs CHORD Hugo 2
Out of the laptop the M9 sounds quite detailed but flat, lacking in dynamics, depth and separation
Mojo adds significant depth, a sense of space and dynamics, darker background and much better separation, smoothness and detail, but is rather relaxed and laid back sounding.
Hugo 2 makes the M9 significantly more dynamic, punchy, increases definition and extension, imaging and separation.

In short - I think you can compare the M9 to your current IEMs with your sources but the gains with a good source are a big part of the performance you will get from them.
They also need quite some power to develop good dynamics.

I also have a Modi multibit DAC that I mostly use for my HD600s. I'll try that too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back