Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #751 of 3,155
Anyone please advice, which spinfit tips are suitable - it depends on bore diameter though. Thanks!
SpinFits were a no go for me. Narrowed the presentation down and had an earplug like suction seal that was too much.

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #752 of 3,155
For me Spinfit double flange is amazing, when the size is right. Had the M and thought was really good but felt the pressure too high and the insertion too deep (felt deeper than my customs), than got the S ones and they fit like gloves, have been switching IEMs but keeping the same tips on all of them.

Jul 1, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #753 of 3,155
For me Spinfit double flange is amazing, when the size is right. Had the M and thought was really good but felt the pressure too high and the insertion too deep (felt deeper than my customs), than got the S ones and they fit like gloves, have been switching IEMs but keeping the same tips on all of them.
I was thinking there were at least a couple in here who had a good experience with them, undoubtedly mine were too big. Be on the look out for some SpiralDot++ tips my dude! Probably a S, though it's risky as they are quite expensive and you may not get the best fit with the size you get. I got M and could probably go S for an even deeper seal. But these Ms are fantastic.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #756 of 3,155
Tell me about it :frowning2: they were on sale for $1099 at the end of 2019!
Sold mine used on a loss for that price...always regrating I did.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #757 of 3,155
For those looking for a dap that has great synergy with the M9, I feel that the ZX507 in balanced mode is a great choice because the ZX507 sound signature has really great low end bass that makes the M9 sound more like a bass rumbling like Dynamic driver IEM. Though it is still a BA IEM, it's not going to sound exactly like a DD.

On top of that you get excellent imaging with clear vocal isolation and 3D like staging and instrument layering.

Some of the reviewers who have mentioned that the M9 has a tendency to sound more laid back. This is something which the ZX507 overcomes, as it has very good transient delivery on the tap. Every cymbal clash and every drum beat will sound impactful and authentic like. Definitely worth pairing together.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #758 of 3,155
I'll have to wait another 5 weeks, and am waiting patiently, enjoying what I have in the meantime :xf_cool:
Finally my M9's have landed and I am giving them a first listen!
I still have the LUNA for testing and so much I can say, they are very different.
But let's wait and see, I always need time to get used to an IEM and come to an opinion.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #759 of 3,155
I still have the LUNA for testing and so much I can say, they are very different.
But let's wait and see, I always need time to get used to an IEM and come to an opinion.

Congrats mate! It’s been a long time coming :)

Very interested to hear more of your thoughts on how they sound compared to the Luna

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #760 of 3,155
Small tips, deep insertion!

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #761 of 3,155
Absolutely loving my M9s after about a week of use. Effortless detail and treble extension with solid bass impact and depth, beautiful vocals and smooth midrange, great instrument separation and layering. Honestly this is probably the best audio purchase I’ve ever made. I think my only quibble would be the top end timbre is not quite as natural as I usually like it, but the detail and and perfect amount of presence there more than makes up for it. I’m wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to find more reviews of this thing? I feel like it got seriously slept on in the mainstream market.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #763 of 3,155
What source are you using? It could be source related issues.

I find that the ier-m9 require high gain/more output power for it's top end treble to sound right.

Most concise review of the M9

Thanks :) yeah I saw this review, was trying to find others but the M9s definitely did not seem to make it to a lot of reviewers. You might be right about source, right now due to COVID and where I’m staying I’ve had to run them off the ES100. Probably not quite enough power there. Regardless, I think they’re absolutely phenomenal. Don’t really get why people have said they’re “boring”, to me they strike the perfect balance of being full and rich with being analytical and detailed, while not compromising on bass presence, punch, and weight in a 5BA. It’s kind of amazing imo.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #764 of 3,155
The magnesium inner structure and housing makes the M9 pretty much resonance free. This makes bass on the M9 sound extremely tight and also allows for pin point accurate imaging.

The reason why some may find the M9 boring is because they are already accustomed to a previous IEM which has more V shaped sound signature.

The M9 is designed as a tool for professional Live stage monitoring, thus it is tuned more for a sound that more neutrally flat in its overall presentation which may sound boring to some. But there will be people like us who prefer a more neutrally flat sounding IEM which will work well across more genre of music and is more source/EQ friendly.

You can read more about its monitoring usage in this link. Google Translation required
https://www.sony.jp/high-resolution/flagship/interview08/

I think Sony has stated in the manual that M9 is rated for 100mW norminal power input. Guess your es100 is just abit shy of M9’s prefered power.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #765 of 3,155
M9s definitely did not seem to make it to a lot of reviewers.

The reason is simple - it is a policy of Sony not to shoot the free samples left and right. You would hardly find any reviews of wm1a/wm1z, z1r as well, no matter how hard you try. Sony believes that their products sell themselves. There is a grain of truth in this approach - you only have to recheck the threads of mentioned products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back